News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Five Finger Death Punch- Bad Company
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

B. Dolan - Security Theater

Eddie Teach

Eddie Teach

The Brain

Hey Syt or whoever, are there any good Viking Metal bands that don't growl? I kind of like Månegarm's song Blodörn (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0SPCd2TBJk), which is kind of as growly as I can take it. So preferably less growly than that.

Seems to me that it's either growl or acoustic folksy style in Viking bands. Sad!

For instance Amon Amarth's Twilight Of The Thunder God is a nice song, but the growling makes it unlistenable to me. Sabaton's cover makes it more palatable, but still...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

The War on Drugs - Thinking of a Place

Goddamnit it's good. And there's a new single out!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: The Brain on May 31, 2017, 11:01:24 AM
Hey Syt or whoever, are there any good Viking Metal bands that don't growl? I kind of like Månegarm's song Blodörn (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0SPCd2TBJk), which is kind of as growly as I can take it. So preferably less growly than that.

Seems to me that it's either growl or acoustic folksy style in Viking bands. Sad!

For instance Amon Amarth's Twilight Of The Thunder God is a nice song, but the growling makes it unlistenable to me. Sabaton's cover makes it more palatable, but still...

I only know one and it's Myrkyr. She does very limited growling.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue  :cool:

Recorded in two sessions with almost no preparation; yet with those musicians (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Jimmy Cobb, Paul Chambers, Julian Adderley and Wynton Kelley) it almost couldn't not be a masterpiece.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The Detroit Symphony Orchestra had an on-line concert which featured Stravinsky's Circus Polka.  This was actually commissioned by Ringling Brother's Circus and they had their elephants dance to it.  At the time (1942) the circus was of such prominence that Roosevelt had given them special permission for extra fuel so that they could run their trains during the war.

They also had a Violin Concerto by Wynton Marsalis (no, I didn't know he composed for the violin either.)  It wasn't bad, sort of a cross between Charles Ives, Duke Ellington and George Gershwin.

I once saw Wynton play the music of Louis Armstrong; that was incredible.  It was the only Armstrong revival I've ever been to that didn't try to make his music sound like middle of the road music for old people.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

I love Wynton Marsalis. The only thing I love more than listening to him play music is listening to him talk about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on June 01, 2017, 01:40:20 PM
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue  :cool:

Recorded in two sessions with almost no preparation; yet with those musicians (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Jimmy Cobb, Paul Chambers, Julian Adderley and Wynton Kelley) it almost couldn't not be a masterpiece.

Wynton is only on one or two tracks, Bill Evans is on the rest; Evans is key to the sound.  Cobb was there b/c of Philly Joe Jones' drug problems, but was perfect match for those sessions.

Fun thing: listen to "So What" on that album and then listen to the version on the Four and More live date from ~1964. Radical change in tempo and interaction with the rhythm section.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josephus

Roger Waters--Is this the life you really want
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

garbon

Lady Gaga - The Cure
Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes — I Hate You
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.