News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: PDH on April 29, 2017, 08:29:10 PM
But Mongers is English so he probably boils it.  There are very few good boiling pizza songs.

:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0

I think Vivid might be one of the most under-rated rock albums of all time.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

MK & Becky Hill - Piece Of Me
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Mötley Crüe - Girls, Girls, Girls

A must given the current discussion on another thread. :)

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

FKA Twigs - Two Weeks
Gwen Stefani - Used To Love You
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Roy Orbison :cool: - In Dreams

I always find myself thinking of a certain scene in Blue Velvet whenever I hear this...
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Everything But The Girl - Missing

Savonarola

Mable John - Take Me (1961)

A big, bluesy, ballad that really doesn't seem like Mabel's thing.  This one might have worked a little better if the Miracles had performed it the way Smokey tends to dra-a-a-ag, drag out the chorus.  As it is, it's just not that interesting.

The B Side Take Me is a better side co-written by Andre Williams (singer of such novelty songs as Bacon Fat).  The song goes from blues to gospel to (William's specialty) spoken word drawl.

This would be John's last single on Motown.  She stayed around as a background singer for a couple years and eventually would become a Raelette (one of Ray Charles's backup singers.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Bo Diddley - Who Do You Love?

While the lyrics are obviously nonsense; they sound bad ass throughout most of the song.  Then he gets to the part which goes:

Night was dark, when the sky was blue,
Down the alley, the ice-wagon flew,
Hit a bump, and somebody screamed,
You shoulda heard just what I seen.

Which veers into "Oh Susanna" territory.

The Minsky Moment

Hank Mobley is under-rated I think.  He doesn't have as strong a signature sound as some of the bigger names.  The body of work is really impressive though - probably the best Jazz Messengers recordings that don't involve Wayne Shorter and his stuff as leader is top notch.  Soul Station is a great album, with two other under-rated guys from that period, Wynton Kelly and Paul Chambers.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Sammy Ward - What Makes You Love Him (Version 2)

The First Version was pulled and replaced with "Who's the Fool," which became one of Motown's first R&B hits.  This version is a lot better with added background singers, a masterful guitar solo and Sammy building up from a calm lament to wild James Brown style screams at the end.  The B-side Don't Take it Away is more raucous with (of all things) a raucous ondioline (only Motown); it's not very good.

Eddie Teach

She Wants Revenge- Take the World
NIN- Head Like a Hole
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011