News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I finished the book on Bell Labs.  It was surprising going through and seeing names that I recognized being given a quick gloss over.  Harald Friis (who developed the fundamental formula of radio communication, The Friis Formula) is mentioned only as a vice president of Bell Labs.  Harry Nyquist (who developed the Nyquist filter,  Nyquist stability criterion, and Nyquist rate) is only mentioned as a disciple of Claude Shannon.

The book focuses most heavily on Mervyn Kelly (worked on vacuum tubes, but is best known as the director of research and then President of Bell Labs during their most productive labs), John Pierce (inventor of satellite communication), Claude Shannon (father of information theory) and Bill Shockley (developer of the junction transistor.)  Shannon and Shockley were the two most eccentric; for very different reasons.  Shannon rode a unicycle around the labs and developed (among other things) a rocket powered frisbee and a formula for juggling.  Shockley developed the junction transistor almost entirely by himself because two of his underlings (John Bardeen and Walter Brattain) developed the spark gap transistor and he wanted to one up them (all three were awarded the Nobel Prize.)  After his career at Bell Labs, (and while he was a professor of physics at Stanford) Shockley developed a theory of dysgenics in which intelligence was strongly correlated to race.  Shockley was also only Nobel Laureate to admit to have donated sperm to the Repository for Germinal Choice.

In any event I think the problem with the Bell System and Bell Labs was best summed up by this:  Bell labs developed the germanium transistor in 1947 (both the spark gap and the junction) and a few years afterward would develop the silicon transistor.  Bell Labs wouldn't use transistors in their own equipment until 1965.  As Gilda Radner said: We're the phone company, we don't have to care.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Graviteam have released a companion book for their latest Mius Front DLC.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/312980/announcements/detail/3988567539071416258?snr=2

QuoteThe 190-page book contains translated operational documents (war diaries, orders, combat reports, and other primary sources) from the Red Army's Izyum-Barvenkovo offensive operation, which had the goal to pin down and ultimately destroy the German Donbas grouping in the summer of 1943. These materials are complemented by translations of documents from the German formations and units opposing the Soviet offensive.

The book concentrates on the fighting that took place in the area southwest of Izyum at Semenovka village and westwards, in the 4th Guards Rifle Corps' zone of advance: The introduction sets the stage for the operation from the perspective of the Soviet forces, followed by two chapters of translated Red Army documents dedicated to the units of the 4th Guards Rifle Corps and the 23rd Tank Corps (which was committed in the same sector later).

The German documents, presented in the second part of the book, include the AAR from the defending 40th Panzer Corps and a compilation of extracts from a series of documents that specifically covers the action at Semenovka in the sector of the Corps' 257th Infantry Division. As the battle unfolded, the 17th Panzer Division and SS Panzer Grenadier Division "Wiking" were brought in as reinforcements, leading to the first combat deployment of the Estonian "Bataillon Narwa" in the vicinity of Semenovka village.

The translations are accompanied by several dozens of original maps and aerial photographs from the battle, adding a visual component to the experience.

We can confidently say that the book is the most comprehensive work on the subject to date. The Izyum-Barvenkovo operation is relatively unknown compared to its famous northern "neighbor" to begin with, and a deep dive into a sector barely 10 km wide makes the book even more special. As a reader, you have a front row seat as the events unfold from the perspective of each participating unit: preparation, action, reaction, and the aftermath. Reading through each side's assessments of the engagement provides a unique insight into what separates success from failure in a complex offensive operation aiming to break through a well-prepared defense.

DLC: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2349300/Graviteam_Tactics_Stalemate_on_Donets/
Book: https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/2349300/manuals/The_Semenovka_Bridgehead_July_1943_Digital-Book-V-14-01-2024.pdf?t=1705832950
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

I've heard really good things about that translation and will get to it at some point. Her Beowulf novel The Mere Wife was interesting.

Though I doubt anything'll move Heaney as my favourite - but I think he's one of my favourite poets so...tough act to follow for me :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

I am really kicking myself for not reading Foundation earlier.  It is brilliant. 

I wonder how much this work influenced the ethics of Dr. Who - and especially the chapters describing how Savlor Hardin outwitted his opponents in the first and second crisis.

And as a side note, I liked the character that went by the same name in the Apple adoptation.  But of course they have nothing to do with eachother.  Rather the character in the adaptation breaks all the ethical rules of the Hardin in the book.

The later episodes of the first book are all good.  But the writing of the Hardin section really stands out.

grumbler

Finally got around to getting The Boys: A Memoir of Hollywood and Family by Ron and Clint Howard.  It's partially a coming-of-age story and partly an ode to their parents, to whose guidance they attribute their success both as child actors and adult actors/film makers.

It's rare to see a joint autobiography like this, in which two family members tell their side of the various events that they and their families went through.  The two were five years apart in age, but were both closer and more distant than that.  They really seemed to be of different generations in their relationship with the outside world, but very close in age in their relationship with each other.

I knew that both of their parent's had been actors, but wasn't aware that their dad had kept acting up to a few months before his death.  I also wasn't aware of how involved Rance was in the careers of his two sons, and how he had been hired by other productions to manage other child actors' appearances on set.  Both parents were very down-to-earth and I was struck by the extent to which they ensured some semblance of family normalcy by avoiding the mixing of their children's money (all saved for their adult use) with household money.  The family could have lived in better than their middle-class lifestyles, but the parents didn't want that for themselves or their children.

I was surprised after finishing it that it had gone on for more than 400 pages.  I could have read another 400.  Lots of fun if the topic interests you.  Name-dropping by the bucket-load.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sophie Scholl

That sounds really intriguing! I probably wouldn't have considered picking it up prior, but now it is a distinct possibility! I'm not normally one for audiobooks, but it looks like Clint, Ron, and Bryce Dallas all are part of the voiceover work. That definitely sounds fun!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Gups

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2024, 03:35:26 PMI am really kicking myself for not reading Foundation earlier.  It is brilliant. 

I wonder how much this work influenced the ethics of Dr. Who - and especially the chapters describing how Savlor Hardin outwitted his opponents in the first and second crisis.

And as a side note, I liked the character that went by the same name in the Apple adoptation.  But of course they have nothing to do with eachother.  Rather the character in the adaptation breaks all the ethical rules of the Hardin in the book.

The later episodes of the first book are all good.  But the writing of the Hardin section really stands out.

Yeah I read the first one a few months ago. Really good and the second is downloaded.

crazy canuck

Finished the Foundation trilogy, very enjoyable read.  I now I know for sure I would have hated the Apple series if I had read the books first.

I loved the books.  Particularly the second book.  It was like a reverse murder mystery - the reader knows pretty early on who the Mule is, and you are waiting to see when the penny drops for the protagonists.  Also loved the character of the Mule once revealed.  I have to admit I didn't figure out the location of the Second Foundation until the big reveal in the third book, but I loved how all the hints were in the books, if I had just noticed them.

A couple of questions about the Apple show - does the cloning of Cleon story line come from other books by Asimov or is that pure invention of the show runners? 

And why oh why did the showrunners have to invent magic powers like seeing into the future.  I loved how the books played with the exact opposite theme of probabilities based on large populations, something given lip service in the show but overshadowed by the actions of the recurring characters.