New ATI video cards will let you run 6 screens

Started by viper37, September 16, 2009, 12:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 19, 2009, 08:34:31 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2009, 07:43:33 AM
But you can't read that email without messing up the game <_<

Also, some games that commonly run in full screen like The Sims will lock you into one screen.
Aye, its just retared how no one has remedied this yet.
Whose problem is it? Windows or the games themselves?
The potential for a full screen game on one but still being able to monitor e-mails, handle a music playlist, etc... on the other screen would greatly enhance enjoyment.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2009, 11:06:28 AM
Aye, its just retared how no one has remedied this yet.
The potential for a full screen game on one but still being able to monitor e-mails, handle a music playlist, etc... on the other screen would greatly enhance enjoyment.
I think it's related to DirectX/Direct3D.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Alatriste

Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2009, 11:06:28 AM

Both, probably. If the game locks you into one screen, or into a window (I have seen some that don't allow the mouse cursor to leave the game) then it's lousy programming. But in other cases, Windows is the obvious culprit.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Alatriste on October 20, 2009, 01:18:50 AM
Both, probably. If the game locks you into one screen, or into a window (I have seen some that don't allow the mouse cursor to leave the game) then it's lousy programming. But in other cases, Windows is the obvious culprit.

Yes.  Developers for The Sims lock the mouse to one screen, but Windows' graphics handling doesn't allow for "fullscreen" D3D or OpenGL to be run at the same time as the native Windows renderer.
Experience bij!

Iormlund

I'm a big fan of multi-monitor setups. I used to run a couple clients of EVE plus IRC and stuff at the same time when I played that. Nowadays I use 2x 1600 x 1200 displays both at home and at work (great for anything from coding to 3d design, as far as productivity goes).

By the way, the standard cards for these setups are from Matrox. I've used them to output to 4 huge screens per card, all capable of video overlay (most cards can only output video to one screen even if they support multi-monitor setups).