The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 25, 2009, 03:52:44 PM
Kentsfield. 2.66GHz quad-core, 16MB cache.

All of the RAM I was looking at was ECC unbuffered.

I went by numbers, not by names.

:frusty:

The Mac Pro has a Nehalem 5500 series processor.  Released December '08.

You compared it to a Kentfield 3200 series processor.  Released January '07.

Please tell me that you know that processors can be very, very different in terms of performance even using the same clock speed.

And by the way the Mac Pro has buffered memory if I recall correctly.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

EDIT: BTW, before you start spouting off how "fair" it is, here's another thing to consider- a system that's entirely composed of bleeding-edge-in-its-category manufacture won't necessarily play well together. It's already caused problems with chipsets in both iMacs and MBPs.

Prove it.

Ed Anger

Man, Beeb is about to pull a knife on everybody
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 25, 2009, 04:21:26 PM

Just another example of the power of tribalism in the human psyche.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

I'll cut you - I mean it!

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on August 25, 2009, 04:22:31 PM

I thought I just agreed with you?   :huh:

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2009, 04:23:09 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 25, 2009, 04:22:31 PM

I thought I just agreed with you?   :huh:

You did - but since my point was that your defense of Apple was rather misguided and irrational, you were just agreeing that you were in fact in the grip of that very tribalism I am talking about.

You are a member of AppleClan, and so must fight those who would slander it! Even if it makes no sense!

GO APPLE!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Beeb reminds me of the people in the Mac store(the Mac Depot in Dayton) a year or two ago. Eyes glazed over and foaming at the mouth.  :P
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 25, 2009, 04:25:40 PM
Beeb reminds me of the people in the Mac store(the Mac Depot in Dayton) a year or two ago. Eyes glazed over and foaming at the mouth.  :P

That was toothpaste. :angry:

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Berkut on August 25, 2009, 04:25:24 PM
You are a member of AppleClan, and so must fight those who would slander it!

And since most are too apathetic about Apple to bother even thinking about it, he has to bring it up or he'd never get the chance.

Monoriu

QuoteBrussels Investigates Exploding iPhones
The European Commission asks iPhone manufacturer Apple to provide more information on cases of burning and exploding iPods and iPhones
By Leigh Phillips

A series of alleged cases of "exploding" iPhones and iPods in a handful of EU member states in which overheated devices "crackle and pop like a deep-frier" before breaking apart or catching fire, have provoked the European Commission into requesting manufacturer Apple (AAPL.O) and EU member states provide information on the possible dangers of two of the company's most popular products.

"At the end of last week, we asked Apple and the member states where the incidents occurred to provide us with information on the matter," commission spokesperson Ton Van Lierop, currently charged with the industry and enterprise dossier, told EUobserver.

In the space of a month, three such cases have troubled the EU executive, responsible for overseeing the safety of consumer products across the 27-country bloc, two in France and one in the UK.

According to French financial daily Les Echos, witnesses to the most recent incident in Aix-en-Provence, France, reported that an iPhone suddenly began to "crackle and pop like a deep-frier" before breaking apart and hurling pieces of its screen everywhere. Bits of glass hit an adolescent boy in the eye, according to his parents.

The "exploding" iPhone episode comes days after a similar case in Marseilles, but in which the volatile device was one of Apple's iPod music players. In the UK a young girl at the beginning of August claimed that her overheadted iPod Touch jumped three metres in the air.

Separately, a Dutchman reported in July that he had left his iPhone in his car only to return to find that it had caught fire and damaged the vehicle.

The commission has only requested information from France and the UK, being unaware of the Dutch incident.

"No reports have yet come in via Rapex," Mr. Van Lierop said, referring to the EU rapid alert system for dangerous consumer products, while underscoring that it is still "too soon" to say what sort of action would be taken.

Rapex allows for the rapid exchange of information between EU countries and the commission of measures taken to deal with products posing a serious risk to consumers. However, any recall decisions remain with the EU member states themselves.

The EU request follows on the heels of an order from the Japanese government in January that Apple investigate scattered reports that iPod Nanos had caught fire or shot out sparks.

Apple spokespeople refused to comment on the issue despite repeated phone calls.

Threviel

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2009, 04:19:09 PM
EDIT: BTW, before you start spouting off how "fair" it is, here's another thing to consider- a system that's entirely composed of bleeding-edge-in-its-category manufacture won't necessarily play well together. It's already caused problems with chipsets in both iMacs and MBPs.

Prove it.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/19/apple-releases-fix-for-macbook-pro-hard-drive-issues/

There have been issues...

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 25, 2009, 03:54:28 PM
I would also question that "design decision" considering numerous reports of stuck CDs.

My sister "stole" my copy of Notes On A Scandal. I suppose one day she'll go into the Apple Store to get it retrieved. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2009, 04:17:49 PM
Kentsfield. 2.66GHz quad-core, 16MB cache.

All of the RAM I was looking at was ECC unbuffered.

I went by numbers, not by names.

:frusty:

The Mac Pro has a Nehalem 5500 series processor.  Released December '08.

You compared it to a Kentfield 3200 series processor.  Released January '07.

Please tell me that you know that processors can be very, very different in terms of performance even using the same clock speed.

And by the way the Mac Pro has buffered memory if I recall correctly.

The only real difference between a Kentsfield and a Nehalem's performance is some additional multithreading capabilities that you'll never see used unless you're running the computer as a server for some reason or other.

As for the memory, it's weird because they're using slow RAM for something that's supposed to be a processing powerhouse. My guess is that they modified DDR2 boards to accept DDR3 to make it look more bleeding-edge (1066 is slow DDR3, but the max you can get for DDR2). Buffering might make a bit of difference, ECC absolutely will not, and in fact, might slow down the memory.
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 26, 2009, 07:26:23 AM
The only real difference between a Kentsfield and a Nehalem's performance is some additional multithreading capabilities that you'll never see used unless you're running the computer as a server for some reason or other.

As for the memory, it's weird because they're using slow RAM for something that's supposed to be a processing powerhouse. My guess is that they modified DDR2 boards to accept DDR3 to make it look more bleeding-edge (1066 is slow DDR3, but the max you can get for DDR2). Buffering might make a bit of difference, ECC absolutely will not, and in fact, might slow down the memory.

Beeb can install ESX on there and then run five or six virtual macs in one!
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers