The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2017, 03:50:57 PM
It isn't. I confirmed with all of my staff. :blurgh:

#fuckapple

So both of you think the same, big deal.

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

#fuckapple

"do you guys agree with me? I have to prove a point to this Mexican guy on the internet. Btw you're fired if you don't agree with me"

:P I have a 7, seems fine to me, though it took a while to get used to the non-mechanical home.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on August 08, 2017, 04:16:55 PM

#fuckapple

"do you guys agree with me? I have to prove a point to this Mexican guy on the internet. Btw you're fired if you don't agree with me"

:P I have a 7, seems fine to me, though it took a while to get used to the non-mechanical home.

I don't threaten to fire anyone. I've already done that so its just baked into everything I say. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

you'll get used to it soon. i prefer it now to the old button which feels clunky when i use a 6
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

MadBurgerMaker

I finally got to play around with a Macbook Pro w/ touchbar last week.  It does some pretty cool things, but I couldn't help but feel like it would just be faster to just use the pointer and click on something like normal instead.  I dug the Safari tabs being on there, for example, but....why would I poke the touchbar when I can just click the tab using the trackpad?  Can those actions be changed, or are they fixed? 

Basically I'm trying to talk myself out of trading in my old (2014) Pro for the new hotness.  :P

Liep

New toys, iPhone X with Face ID and a bigger screen in a smaller body. $999 for the basic configuration though and that's probably well over €1100 here. :hmm:

I might finally try out the apple watch though, seems like a fun toy now that it has LTE.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Let's tinker for the sake of tinkering!

QuoteChanges in the new iTunes

Learn about changes to Apps, iTunes U, Internet Radio, and more.

The new iTunes focuses on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks. Apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch are now exclusively available in the new App Store for iOS. And the new App Store makes it easy to get, update, and redownload apps—all without a Mac or PC.

You'll find these changes in the new iTunes:

Apps: Looking for your past iOS app downloads? Learn how to redownload apps on your iOS device.
    iTunes U: Collections of iTunes U content appear in the Podcasts section of iTunes.
    Internet Radio: Your Internet Radio stations appear in your music library's sidebar. Click Edit in the sidebar to show or hide Internet Radio.
    Ringtones: iOS 11 supports redownloading ringtones directly to your iOS device, without the need to use iTunes on your Mac or PC.
    Books on Windows: Books on iTunes for Windows are managed in iBooks for iOS. Learn how to redownload books on an iOS device.

Manage apps and other content

You can find iOS apps, ringtones, and books (PC only) that you've already downloaded in your iTunes Media folder.

If you have an iOS app, ringtone, or book that's no longer available for redownload, you can move that content to your iOS device while plugged in to a computer with a USB cable.

Published Date: Sep 12, 2017

Berkut

So  my new job is contemplating switching from Lenovo laptops over to Macs.

I have been tasked with deciding which macbook should be the "standard" developers machine.

Thoughts?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Liep

Quote from: Berkut on September 30, 2017, 06:29:59 AM

I have been tasked with deciding which macbook should be the "standard" developers machine.

Thoughts?

The tiniest.

Threviel

Quote from: Berkut on September 30, 2017, 06:29:59 AM

Thoughts?

One of the 13" Pros. Preferably with an i7 if there's a lot of compiling or VHDL stuff to do.

The 15" with four cores if there's a lot of virtual machining to do.

Berkut

Most of our work is pretty straightforward, and not at all processor intensive.

I am mostly concerned with the ancillary stuff, like how do I estimate costs of accessories, how do I get reasonably priced support if needed, how do I estimate the cost of software we need, like Fuision Ware?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on October 03, 2017, 07:21:28 AM

I am mostly concerned with the ancillary stuff, like how do I estimate costs of accessories, how do I get reasonably priced support if needed, how do I estimate the cost of software we need, like Fuision Ware?

Use this as illustration:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Berkut on October 03, 2017, 07:21:28 AM

You can get Applecare with the computers you buy for support.  I don't know if there's something special they do here when they order it (I don't know if there's a special type they get for organizations, for example, but I do know they can all go to the Apple Store if I were ever so inclined to take them, which....I'm not :P) or if you would consider that reasonably priced or not though.   You might want to give Apple a call and talk to them about pricing for organizations.

Arvoreen

I will point out that my MacBook has been the best laptop ever issued to me by any company I've worked for.  I've had mine for 4 years (and it is a mid-2012 model) that is still rocking solid and fully up to everything I throw at it (full IntelliJ IDE running, multiple chrome windows, running multiple application servers for debugging, plus local postgres, etc)

I can check with our ops team to see what they do for support (applecare, something else?).

Since we have a lot of the older, pre-usb-c devices, we have loads of extra adaptors, dongles, etc available.  I can't speak to the costs of corresponding usb-c devices.

If you go with the newer USB-C MacBooks, make sure you get the ones that come with 4 USB-C ports, not the low-end 13" ones that only have 2.