The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Berkut on September 30, 2017, 06:29:59 AM
So  my new job is contemplating switching from Lenovo laptops over to Macs.

I have been tasked with deciding which macbook should be the "standard" developers machine.

Thoughts?

Developer's machines take a little more thought than just which Macbook to get- are they going to be running multiple projects simultaneously? Probably want to upgrade the processors. Are they going to be running their projects in virtual machines? Probably want to upgrade the processors AND the RAM. Docker containers? Maybe not so much RAM. Also, compiled, JIT compiled, or interpreted languages? Because you're going to want more firepower depending on the load running the project is going to take- C could be developed on a potato, Java is going to need at least a decent salad, and running a server for a scripted language like JS or Python or Ruby on Rails is going to need some serious steak and potatoes...
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

The updated Apple iOS 11 is more life- and energy-draining than any girlfriend.  Goddamn.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2017, 11:47:43 AM
The updated Apple iOS 11 is more life- and energy-draining than any girlfriend.  Goddamn.

On the plus side I'm told my iPhone 5 does not support iOS 11, and that certain government-required software will need iOS 11, I'm apparently getting an upgrade (at some point).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, you're definitely going to get one;  the 5 simply doesn't have the horsepower for it.

CountDeMoney

My iPad is still on 10.3.3;  11 has not been pushed out yet for other devices and it's my understanding that 11 is so buggy that 11.1 is already in beta.

Liep

I bought an Apple Watch and I'm quite fond of it already, it doesn't have a podcast app though so I have to play episodes through Siri if I don't want to get my phone up. After 20 minutes I got the Danish Siri to understand 'The Bugle' by what I can only call a voice hack.

Technology rocks. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2017, 10:47:30 AM
What a weirdo.

Well it should work on the first go from now on. And it had no problem understanding 'Dårligdommerne'. :w00t:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

It is simply impossible to make Siri play King Krule - The OOZ, a deal breaker so I've switched to the English version. It makes me feel even more like a jackass.

Liep

How well will a MacBook or the cheapest MacBook Pro fare with EU4 or FM17?

Duque de Bragança

So they have SSDs which helps...
I expect they will have Intel chipsets so worse than old graphic cards. OTOH, with Thunderbolt you can link them to an external graphic card and ultimately to an external screen. Not very practical though.
So not very well I'm afraid, though you could always install Windows via Bootcamp for the better performance though some of it will be lost by the overheating/fans working more on Windows.

Give their specs though, maybe the cheapest MacBook Pro is not so bad after all.  :P

PS: checked their specs

katmai

My macbook pro is top of the line from early 2015, runs both of those fine :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Duque de Bragança

MacBook Pro top of the line means a real discrete graphic card so I am not surprised.  :P

katmai

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 27, 2017, 12:36:15 PM
MacBook Pro top of the line means a real discrete graphic card so I am not surprised.  :P
Yeah it is a GeForce  GT 750. Haven't tried Total War Warhammer, but had no issues with X-COM II as well as Liep's aforementioned games.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Duque de Bragança

I have a top of the line Mac Book Pro and that's the only good thing I can say.

[spoiler]Mid-2010 so discrete graphic card but unable to run XCOM II for instance.[/spoiler]