The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 28, 2016, 10:55:57 AM
Quote from: Liep on September 28, 2016, 08:55:00 AM
Got my iPhone 7 Plus, trying to use my settings from old phone required a software update to 10.02, that didn't work out well.

Trying again. It looks pretty though, perhaps too big (older phone was a 5).

Just out of curiosity, if you were happier with the 5, why didn't you go for the SE, since it uses the same shell with almost the same feature set as the 6S?

I don't yet know if I was happier with the 5 since I've had the 7 for just a few hours.

And I definitely wanted something bigger as the phone is all I bring when travelling and the screen was too small to watch movies on. Going Plus was a risk, but I figure it can't more than annoy me a little and maybe it'll turn out brilliant.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Liep on September 28, 2016, 11:01:16 AM
I don't yet know if I was happier with the 5 since I've had the 7 for just a few hours.

And I definitely wanted something bigger as the phone is all I bring when travelling and the screen was too small to watch movies on. Going Plus was a risk, but I figure it can't more than annoy me a little and maybe it'll turn out brilliant.

Ah, gotcha.  And yeah, after a couple days, you'll get used to the bulk in your pocket.  FWIW, the basic 7 is still on the small side- the Android offerings mostly gravitate toward the range of screen sizes of around 5.5-5.7 inches.  To non-Apple people, a "big" phone is 6 inches and up.
Experience bij!

Josephus

Quote from: Berkut on January 28, 2016, 09:50:02 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 19, 2016, 04:21:23 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 19, 2016, 04:10:38 PM
did you put in rice to try to sap out moisture?

Yes.

You know that does nothing at all, right?

Disagree. (I know it's an old thread). A couple years ago my then new Iphone six had a swim in the washing machine. It was a quick drop and i pulled it out really qucikly but it was wet and wouldn't work. I left it in a bag of rice for a day and it's been working fine ever since.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadBurgerMaker

Hey if anyone ever wanted a Magsafe type connection for their phones, Goat Case is having a sale on their charging doohickey: https://www.goatcase.com/products/goat-magnetic-charging-cable?lssrc=popular&variant=23450906817

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 08, 2016, 10:53:27 PM
Hey if anyone ever wanted a Magsafe type connection for their phones, Goat Case is having a sale on their charging doohickey: https://www.goatcase.com/products/goat-magnetic-charging-cable?lssrc=popular&variant=23450906817

Tempting, but I've already got to put ferrite chokes on my third-party Lightning cables because of all the EM bleed- I couldn't have my phone anywhere near a speaker with one of these.
Experience bij!

Zanza

Microsoft may have beaten Apple at its own game and redefined the form factor for desktop PCs and have a design to match...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzMLA8YIgG0

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on October 27, 2016, 01:34:47 AM
Microsoft may have beaten Apple at its own game and redefined the form factor for desktop PCs and have a design to match...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzMLA8YIgG0

That's pretty cool.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Looks cool, but that base doesn't look like it would be stable enough for a screen that size unless there's a sticky pad or something
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadBurgerMaker

So........the iPhone needs an adapter to plug into the MacBooks, but Google's Pixel doesn't?  Steve Jobs would be ultra pissed at everyone.  C'mon, Apple.

HVC

Apparently the new mac book pro cuts off wifi when you plug into the usb c port. Courage!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Facetime, a quick question.

My brother lives in remote parts at the other end of the country, broadband doesn't really function, but they get a good 3G signal, his family uses iPhones, so I'd like to give my old dear a way of video chatting with them.

Am I right in thinking if I buy her an Ipad Mini 2 or the latest iPod Touch, I'll be able to  set it up for her so she can use Facetime over wifi to video call them?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on November 19, 2016, 01:36:40 PM
Sure.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Not sure what to get here an Ipad Mini or Touch?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

Mini is 7.9" screen vs 4" for touch.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Liep

I'd go for the mini if Facetime is primary concern and if it's a home device.