My computer doesn't have a problem

Started by DGuller, August 20, 2009, 08:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Operating system? Service packs? Brand/model of hard drive?
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: Threviel on August 21, 2009, 12:57:21 PM
And here I thought that this was about you getting a Mac.
Nobody would ever do that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

btw my selfbuilt computer running Windows XP is working perfectly.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 21, 2009, 09:47:09 PM
Operating system? Service packs? Brand/model of hard drive?
Vista, SP1, WD 1 TB hard drive. 

I managed to reinstall Vista successfully on it, but then that installation again got fucked up once automatic updates started installing.  Some update didn't install successfully, and Vista again went into a different kind of infinite reboot cycle.  Jesus fucking Christ.  I think I'll install Windows 7 RC next, and keep the Vista only on my SSD drive as a backup operating sysytem.

DontSayBanana

Which Vista? Home Premium? Ultimate?

Which update was it? I'm seeing a lot of complaints about KB968389... particularly that it's putting computers into a reboot cycle.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 21, 2009, 10:48:25 PM
Which Vista? Home Premium? Ultimate?

Which update was it? I'm seeing a lot of complaints about KB968389... particularly that it's putting computers into a reboot cycle.
Home Premium.  As for which update, I'm not sure, there were 54 of them being installed at once when I went to bed last night.

Barrister

I visited a site today, and suddenly all kinds of virus warnings popped up, and it looked like some anti-virus was activated.  It told me my computer was infected and I needed to download some anti-virus software.

The thing is - it claimed to be Windows Defender.   :lmfao:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

Quote from: Barrister on August 22, 2009, 01:09:24 AM
I visited a site today, and suddenly all kinds of virus warnings popped up, and it looked like some anti-virus was activated.  It told me my computer was infected and I needed to download some anti-virus software.

:lol:

little did they know you were cruising in the Porsche of computers!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

I'll have you know that Porsche makes the Mac Pro of automobiles. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on August 21, 2009, 10:56:02 PM
Home Premium.  As for which update, I'm not sure, there were 54 of them being installed at once when I went to bed last night.

Interesting. I, too, am having problems with Home Premium since installing updates. Now I'm a little worried about installing that update, because it went in my queue last night. :ph34r:
Experience bij!

DGuller

OK, new development.  I'm working in the Vista installed on the SSD drive, and I'm downloading WinRAR so that I compress and archive everything relating to the old installation of Windows on my old hard drive.  Stuff like program settings or data files, something that would be really nice to keep.  As I finish installing WinRAR, I go back to my hard drive only to find it not existing, as far as Windows is concerned.  WTF, where did you go, bitch?

DGuller

I'm going to reboot now and see if my hard drive comes back.  If you don't see me here, it means my system went totally FUBAR.

Cerr

Get ccleaner, run it, then go to the registry panel, click scan for issues and fix all the issues that appear.

Probably won't solve the problem but it's worth a try.

DGuller

Ok, my system is pretty fucked right now.  The hard drive seems to have given up the ghost, and for some reason my Vista on SSD is not bootable by itself.  It can only boot up if the hard drive works.  Dunno why. 

So I can't do anything on my new computer right now, and I'm now back on my very, very slow old computer.  I guess I'll use it to go to Newegg and order another hard drive.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Barrister on August 22, 2009, 01:09:24 AM

I love those fake dialog ads.  Its more fun to go run the websites that "scan" your computer, then try to sell you shit to "fix" it.  Makes it really obvious which ones are scams.