News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ohio, the heart of it all

Started by Ed Anger, August 04, 2009, 09:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Ed Anger

Now that Kenny has vomited all over the thread, back to Ohio news.

They are going to start buying up foreclosed homes here, since they are just now getting their Neighborhood Stabilization Program money. And in my old hometown, my old neighborhood is going to receive extra attention. It is a shithole now.

Ever played SimCity and you have those neighborhoods that have folks in it, but looks run down? That is my hometown.

At least it is a better use that what the State of Ohio has been doing with stimulus money, like putting a thin layer of Asphalt over roads recently repaved. Fucking Governor Strickland. And a bike path that connects Indiana to the Miami valley bike paths. Fucking Bicycles.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jaron

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 17, 2009, 04:49:42 PM

They are going to start buying up foreclosed homes here, since they are just now getting their Neighborhood Stabilization Program money. And in my old hometown, my old neighborhood is going to receive extra attention. It is a shithole now.

Ever played SimCity and you have those neighborhoods that have folks in it, but looks run down? That is my hometown.

At least it is a better use that what the State of Ohio has been doing with stimulus money, like putting a thin layer of Asphalt over roads recently repaved. Fucking Governor Strickland. And a bike path that connects Indiana to the Miami valley bike paths. Fucking Bicycles.

I used to build airports across the street from your neighborhood so I could make planes crash into your house. ^_^
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jaron on August 17, 2009, 04:51:16 PM

I used to build airports across the street from your neighborhood so I could make planes crash into your house. ^_^

:D

I used to put heavy industry next to residential areas.  :blush:

MadImmortalMan

Save game, launch tornado, hope it hits the blighted area. If not, load and try again. Don't forget to remove all their fire department coverage.  :menace:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on August 15, 2009, 04:41:25 AM
Europeans are much cooler than Americans

:lol:

I also appreciate that you didn't try to defend Portugal. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I always would individually go in and make those buildings historic, so they would be a sight for generations to come. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Posted just for this:

QuoteFugitive D'AlCapone AlPacino Morris arrested

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/fugitive-dalcapone-alpacino-morris-arrested-265859.html?cxtype=ynews_rss

Love that name.

QuoteThe wanted man, whose given name combines that of an historic crime figure and a film star who has played crime figures,

Duh.

Ed Anger

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/15/business/15college.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

When I wanted that business degree to hang on the wall, that is where I got it. And when we need interns and new blood, this is one of the sources.

QuoteAt Sinclair Community College, Focus Is Jobs

By STEVEN GREENHOUSE
Published: August 14, 2009

DAYTON, Ohio — When Todd Sollar was laid off after 11 years at General Motors, he enrolled at Sinclair Community College in downtown Dayton to study robotics.

"Hopefully, with a degree I'll be marketable for a job," said Mr. Sollar, 32, who has overcome his nervousness about not fitting in because of his age. In fact, he is thriving, getting A's and B's, far better than in high school where he said officials had wrongly pegged him as having a learning disability.

As legions of displaced autoworkers and others face the prospect that their onetime jobs may be gone forever, many like Mr. Sollar will need training for a fresh start.

And perhaps the best place for them will be community colleges, long the workhorses of American higher education, workhorses that get little respect. In an unforgiving economy, these colleges provide lifelines not only for laid-off workers in need of a new career, but for recent high school graduates who find that many types of entry-level jobs now require additional skills.

President Obama has embraced the nation's community colleges, arguing that they are vital bulwarks against the decline of the middle class — and of America's competitiveness.

Speaking last month in Michigan, Mr. Obama placed the nation's 1,200 community colleges at the center of his ambitious plan to increase the number of college graduates by five million over the next decade. The goal is to create a higher skilled, more prosperous work force.

Sinclair Community College, widely acclaimed as one of the best such colleges in the nation, is at the vanguard of such efforts. The college is retraining thousands of laid-off G.M., Delphi and other workers. It is also working closely with city, county and business leaders to identify and nurture growth industries and to train the workers those industries will need. In turn, many of its goals are being achieved with the help of generous local funding from taxpayers.

This year, Sinclair's enrollment jumped 25 percent over last year, to 37,000, because of rising unemployment as well as its unusually low tuition of $2,000 a year, an innovative scholarship program and its 170 academic programs and certificates.

Sinclair is such a magnet that 50 percent of the adults in surrounding Montgomery County have taken courses there. Without the stigma that many community colleges have, it can also attract many solid students, who are eager to take advantage of low tuition for two years before moving on to a four-year college.

To expand enrollment, Sinclair offers an unusual scholarship to thousands of students who might never have considered college. High school students who take technical courses and achieve a C-plus average in their junior and senior years are offered a $3,000 scholarship — worth one-and-a-half year's tuition — giving many less-than-stellar students a warm embrace that pulls them into Sinclair's classrooms.

Casey Benedict, 23, took advantage of that scholarship to study manufacturing processes and lightweight composites. Today, he holds a good-paying job at a high-tech composites factory housed inside a defunct Delphi auto parts plant.

Sinclair has worked with 53 high schools to upgrade their technical courses to make it easier for students to transition to college. It has even made a $4 million grant to help plan and build a public "career technology" high school in Dayton that will offer electronics, broadcasting and industrial engineering courses and serve as a feeder school for the college.

"For most 10th-graders there's a societal assumption that you'll go on to 11th grade, and for most 11th-graders there's an assumption you'll go on to 12th grade," said Steven L. Johnson, Sinclair's president. "We're trying to create a societal assumption that 12th-graders will go on to college."

Long a center of auto and auto parts production, Dayton has been battered by Detroit's woes, and Sinclair has become an important engine of economic development for the area.

"We can bring a lot of jobs to the area, but if we can't put the work force in place to fill those positions, it's unrealized potential," said Jim Leftwich, president of the Dayton Development Coalition. "Sinclair has been with us every step of the way in helping prepare the work force we need."

With a nod to the giant Wright-Patterson Air Force Base nearby, community leaders have identified aerospace research and development, advanced materials and manufacturing, and health care as industries to help the area rebound.

Along with the advanced manufacturing degrees that Mr. Benedict and Mr. Sollar have pursued, Sinclair offers an unusual degree in advanced technical intelligence (to prepare students to interpret remote sensor data, like those from satellites, perhaps for jobs with the Air Force or the C.I.A.)

Sinclair has another strategy for strengthening the region's economy. Its Advanced Integrated Manufacturing Center has a staff of consultants that advise many local businesses on increasing productivity or expanding operations. The center's robotics experts often help design manufacturing processes and develop prototypes for new products.

Sinclair also provides traditional training for police officers, firefighters, chefs, nurses and auto mechanics.

After working for eight years in human resources at a now-closed Delphi auto parts plant, Kelli Martin, 41, has enrolled at Sinclair, hoping to become a nurse in pediatric oncology.

"In this community, Sinclair's nursing program is considered the tops," she said. "Sinclair has the buzz." She said Sinclair's flexibility was crucial for someone like her, with two toddlers. The college has five campuses, offers many courses both day and evening, and teaches 5,000 students in online courses each quarter.

"We help people go from $8-an-hour jobs to $18-an-hour jobs," said Mr. Johnson, the college president.

He added: "It's not the college's fault that they might go from a $28-an-hour job at G.M. to an $18-an-hour job. That's just the new normal."

An unusual source of revenue gives Sinclair a leg up over many community colleges. Every 10 years since the 1960s, Montgomery County's voters have approved a real estate levy to help finance the college. That assessment provides $34 million of Sinclair's $135 million annual budget.

"We've used that levy to create a massive tuition discount," Mr. Johnson explained. Sinclair's tuition levels are half those of many other community colleges.

At this spring's commencement, Mr. Johnson asked the assembled students whether anyone had ever told them they were not college material. More than one-third of the graduates raised their hands.

Mr. Sollar certainly falls into that category. "I was scared to death of school," he said. "I thought I wouldn't fit in."

A tour of the campus, though, reassured him that there were many other, older laid-off workers in search of retraining.

Sinclair makes extra efforts with at-risk students like Mr. Sollar, monitoring their progress and offering free tutors. Mr. Sollar has used tutors regularly for his English classes, but not for his robotics courses.

In his core area of study, he has built a miniaturized assembly line and programmed computers to run factory robots. He hopes getting his robotics degree will persuade Volkswagen to hire him for the factory it has planned for Chattanooga, Tenn.

"Sinclair has given me self-esteem," Mr. Sollar said.

Ed Anger

QuoteOhio judge silences defendant with duct tape

Your Questions Answered: Are erections normal?

CANTON, Ohio (AP) -- An Ohio judge unhappy with repeated interruptions from a robbery suspect ordered a deputy to put duct tape over the defendant's mouth. Canton Municipal Court Judge Stephen Belden says the taping last Thursday was the best way to restore order at a hearing for 51-year-old Harry Brown of Canton.

Brown complained that his court-appointed attorney wasn't prepared and angered the judge with interruptions. After a warning, the judge told the bailiff to tape Brown's mouth shut.

When the tape was removed, the defendant said the judge wasn't being respectful. The judge ended the hearing and sent the case to a grand jury.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 01, 2009, 05:25:38 PM
Ohio judge silences defendant with duct tape

Your Questions Answered: Are erections normal?

:lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 13, 2009, 07:41:55 AM
Enjoy the bar shootout video:

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/10/12/crimesider/entry5378669.shtml

Nobody was hurt. I haven't seen shooting like that since the Kehoe brothers shootout with the cops.

http://www.footypd.com/view_video.php?viewkey=2d6d4f975380ee45ef8d&page=1&viewtype=&category=mr

I loved the idiot news anchor commentary on my local news (not sure if it's in either posted video) where they said how "amazing" it was that no one was shot. 

Firing blindly from behind cover at other dudes who are behind cover = no likely casualties.  And the others not directly involved in the shootout apparently were well-versed in the art of getting the hell out of the way.  A sniper duel this was not :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Wonder if Ed sampled too much of his new "fruit." :menace:

Chalk this up as a point for Ohio:

http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/WDTN_Drunk_driver_crashes_into_his_own_house

QuoteDrunk driver crashes into his own house
Updated: Friday, 16 Oct 2009, 1:17 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 16 Oct 2009, 1:11 PM EDT

By Jordan Burgess; Web Produced by David Robinson, WDTN

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) - Police said a Dayton man has more to worry about than just the hole in his house. A hole that happened when he slammed his SUV into his own home October 15, 2009.

Police said the driver didn't stop at the intersection of Wyoming Street and Steve Whalen Boulevard and drove up two flights of steps and a porch before crashing through the wall of his house.

"I don't think I've ever seen one climb two flights of steps and a porch," said Sgt. Kelly Hamilton. "But I guess if you're determined to make it home no matter what your shape, you'll do it, and he did it."

Police said the man was uncooperative as they tried to sit him down so medics could check him over before being taken to Miami Valley Hospital for minor injuries.

Police say his next stop will be the jail where he'll face drunk driving charges.

A dog was inside the home at the time. It was not injured and was taken by animal control.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Ohioans are nutty ass white trash, but they still can't hold a candle to Floridians.

Or Texans, for that matter:

QuoteTexas man, 83, allegedly opens fire on his son for refusing to stop drumming

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — San Antonio police are investigating the wounding of a man after his elderly father allegedly opened fire when the victim refused to stop drumming. Police said the son, in his 50s, suffered a non-life threatening head wound early Friday while at the home the men share. Police said his 83-year-old father was detained on an aggravated assault charge.

Police said the son, who was grazed in the head, ran down the block to call for help.