News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ohio, the heart of it all

Started by Ed Anger, August 04, 2009, 09:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: PRC on August 04, 2009, 11:21:20 AM
Actually, it's true... I did hear that from Michiganers while I was in Detroit & Windsor.  They got the rivalry going eh.

I think it mainly revolves around football (Michigan vs. Ohio State), plus the normal border rivalry between states.

FWIW in my part of West Virginia, we made fun of eastern Kentucky and "Ohio drivers" (seemed like every time someone was going 30mph in the passing lane or had a beat-up car they had an Ohio license plate).

I guess we also made fun of the adjacent county, but Wayne County, WV is just too big a target to pass up.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

In Philly, the prevailing prejudices were:

New Jerseyites: rude and obnoxious
Delawareans: chicken farmers
Pittsburghers: trashy with horrible taste in football
the rest of Pennsylvania: hicks
New Yorkers: DEMON SPAWN
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on August 04, 2009, 11:24:28 AM
Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 11:23:47 AM
Just like Ed does, I'm sure you can figure out a way to turn 'nothing' into something. :)

I try not to play God.

I like to dabble.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

QuotePitcher who injured Ohio fan gets 30 days in jail

By DAN SEWELL (AP) – 2 hours ago

DAYTON, Ohio — A minor league pitcher who threw a baseball that went into the stands and injured a fan during an on-field melee in Ohio last year has been sentenced to 30 days in jail and three years probation.

Julio Castillo could have been sentenced to as long eight years in prison. Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Connie Price said he had expressed that he was sorry about hurting anyone.

"The court does believe that he is remorseful," she said at Castillo's sentencing Thursday.

The judge also ordered Castillo to get anger management counseling, write a letter of apology to the injured fan, stay employed and work toward a high school equivalency degree. She warned him that violating any conditions of his probation could bring a 3-year prison sentence.

Castillo was convicted Tuesday of felonious assault causing serious physical injury for giving the fan a concussion.

The 22-year-old was pitching for the visiting Peoria Chiefs, a Chicago Cubs affiliate, when the 10-minute brawl broke out last July during a game against the Dayton Dragons. Castillo is now on the roster of the Boise Hawks, also a Cubs affiliate, but has been benched pending the legal proceedings.

Prior to his sentence, Castillo, speaking through a Spanish-language interpreter, told the judge he was sorry.

Castillo testified at his non-jury trial that he was frightened as the brawl began, and threw the ball downward toward the Dragons' dugout to keep players from rushing the field. He said he did not throw at any opposing player and wasn't trying to hit anyone.

It wasn't immediately known how the sentence will affect Castillo's baseball career and his immigration status. He is a citizen of the Dominican Republic in the United States on a work visa.

A call to Cubs general counsel Michael Lufrano for comment was not immediately returned.

Cubs suck.

During last month's trial, fan Chris McCarthy of Middletown, Ohio, testified that Castillo appeared angry when he threw the ball toward the Dragons' dugout. The 45-year-old fan said the ball hit him so hard that the seams left a mark on his scalp. He said he had a throbbing headache for days and couldn't wear a hard hat for his job because of swelling.

Video from the game shows Castillo throwing a ball, but doesn't show where the ball lands.

Officials in the Midwest League suspended and fined 15 players and both teams' managers for the fight.

Castillo was ordered to begin his sentence immediately and will get credit for spending a night in jail when he was arrested.

MadBurgerMaker

Ed Anger

Only thing worse than a Cubs fan is a Red Sox fan.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 06, 2009, 05:33:00 PM
Only thing worse than a Cubs fan is a Red Sox fan.

My shithead brother in law is a Cubs fan.  I just can't imagine hating (edit:)anyone more than that guy.

garbon

I lived for three months near Wrigley Stadium and never went to a game. :cry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 06, 2009, 05:36:17 PM
I lived for three months near Wrigley Stadium and never went to a game. :cry:

Missing seeing the worst team in the history of sports is not something to regret.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2009, 05:37:30 PMMissing seeing the worst team in the history of sports is not something to regret.
BARTMAN :yeah:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Seedy won't like this one:

http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S=10848039. The pic of the chick holding dead rabbits may make you want to vomit.

QuoteDeath Date: Former Petland Employee Says Offing Animals Was Way Of Life In Pet Shop
Posted: Aug 04, 2009 7:07 PM EDT Updated: Aug 06, 2009 11:02 AM EDT

AKRON, OH (WOIO) - An absolutely sickening case of animal abuse at an Akron-area Petland shop may not be an isolated incident.

Akron Petland employee Elizabeth Carlisle is accused of drowning two rabbits and then posing for pictures with the drenched, dead animals. What's worse, Carlisle then posted the pictures on her Facebook page.

Now, a former employee is speaking out and says the same practice of killing sickly animals is performed at the Youngstown-area Petland.

"We had a hamster that had like a skin disease and it was all ugly, and I came into work and asked where is was and I was told Jessica, she's the manager, that she drown it," Anna Stone told 19 Action News.

Employees of the Youngstown-area store told Reporter Dan DeRoos the drowning of sick animals never happens at that location but could not provide an answer as to why the former employee would make such a claim.

In response to the horrific mistreatment, Petland, Inc. has terminated the Akron store owner's franchise agreement. Effective immediately, the store is closed and will not reopen. The animals will be removed from the shop, which was individually owned and operated by a local franchisee. Petland will in no way, shape or form tolerate any abuse of animals in its care.

PETA is also weighing in, and wants to ban rabbit sales at all Petland stores.

Carlisle has been slapped with charges and will appear in Akron Municipal Court on August 17th.

The Akron Humane Society released the following statement late Wednesday afternoon:

Many individuals are inquiring about the drowning of two bunny rabbits at the Chapel 1-Jill Mall Petland store,. The incident was reported to Senior Humane Officer Tim Harland by PETA on July 29. 2009, "Once we received the call, this was treated like any other investigation and I met with Gary Winslow the franchise owner to begin the investigation," said Harland., After a lengthy investigation which included 1-larland interviewing the accused, he determined that the incident did occur and she acted on her own. Today two counts of misdemeanor animal cruelty charges were filed in Akron. Municipal Court,, These are M Class charges which make this an enhanccable crime which means if she is ever charged. with animal cruelty again it will turn into a felony..

"The Humane Society of Greater Akron investigates cruelty and abuse in Summit County 365 days a year.. However the use of a social networking website, as was used in this incident, is a bigger twist," said Harland.

Petland, Inc. released the following statement Tuesday, Aug. 4th:

"Petland, Inc. has been made aware of an isolated incident at the Petland store in Akron, Ohio as it relates to the mistreatment of rabbits and has immediately become involved in the investigation. The store, located in Chapel Hill Mall, is individually owned and operated by a local franchisee.

This information is horrifying and in no way reflects the values, policies and procedures demanded of Petland stores. Petland, Inc. is saddened and outraged at this gross violation of Petland's animal care standards. It is Petland's understanding that the employee was instructed to contact the store's consulting veterinarian, and instead, defied the orders and store policy and acted on her own. She was immediately dismissed and the case is now being handled by local law enforcement. Petland, Inc. is also conducting its own internal investigation.

This is an isolated incident that is horrific and inexcusable and will not be tolerated. Petland will take any and all action necessary as this does not, in any way, represent the culture and dedication to animal care of the thousands of caring Petland employees working across the country every day."

saskganesh

thanks to Languish, I now love Ohio, Hong Kong and Detroit.

endless sources of good stories, odd moments and strange people.
humans were created in their own image

Ed Anger

Quote from: saskganesh on August 07, 2009, 10:10:50 AM
thanks to Languish, I now love Ohio, Hong Kong and Detroit.

endless sources of good stories, odd moments and strange people.

hell, I haven't even posted stories of the mayor of Dayton and her strange hat fetish.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers