News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Good CRT filter?

Started by The Brain, December 19, 2021, 05:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I'm thinking about playing some old games (or more realistically starting them and doing a brief nostalgia attempt to play). Low-res graphics looked a lot better on CRTs though. Anyone know a good CRT filter?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Run some sandpaper over your glasses.
PDH!

The Brain

Darth Wagtaros

No, not really. Suggestions I've seen are find an old CRT that still works (and then worry about disposing of its toxic, 50 pound ass when it breaks) .
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Duque de Bragança

Old games on consoles or computer ?

The Brain

Tamas

I would argue its the size of the screen that makes old small CRTs better for old shitty game resolutions. Find a way to play old shit in smaller windows.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on December 25, 2021, 05:19:02 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 24, 2021, 09:04:44 AM
Old games on consoles or computer ?

Computer.

PC games or older Amiga, Atari, C64, Apple 2 software? Scan lines territory I guess. FB algorithm sent me once to an Amiga group analyzing the best monitors for 15 khz signals.

http://15khz.wikidot.com

QuoteA list of modern flat panel (LCD, OLED) monitors that directly support analog 15 kHz signals through discrete RGB connectors (VGA, DVI-A, and/or SCART). (Note that Component video is actually YPrPb.)

"Full" 15 kHz RGB Support in the table below means it supports 15kHz signals at least as well as a CRT:

The monitor requires no external scan doubler (such as an XRGB-mini or OSSC) or other powered devices to correctly process analog 15 kHz signals through the RGB connector. Only unpowered adapters are allowed for "full" support.
The monitor is able to display the image centered and in the proper aspect ratio (4:3), shows every pixel of the source signal, and doesn't waste screen space. This means black or grey bars at the top and bottom (but not sides) of a 5:4 monitor and on the sides (but not top or bottom) of a 16:9 or 16:10 monitor.
The monitor supports 240p/288p and 480i/576i and is usable in these modes without annoying flicker, at least not more annoying than a CRT's flicker.
If the user needs to manually center or stretch the image, the settings persist across screen mode changes and power cycles.

Emulation is easier.  :P

Syt

Was gonna say, don't a lot of emulators these days have options for CRT approximation?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.