News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Politics From Across the Globe

Started by Jacob, September 20, 2021, 12:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Manny Pacquiaio is running for president in the Phillippines. He, apparently, belongs to the same party (PDP-Laban) as Durtete but from a different (and rival) wing. Durtete is planning to run as VP candidate, as he apparently can't run for president twice (in a row?).

How dirty is it going to get? Is there any substantial differences between the wings within PDP-Laban or is it just about personal or regional crony networks? Are there any other parties that stand a chance?

Jacob

Looks like Putin's party is going to win the recent Russian election. It also looks like the Communists were the primary beneficiaries of the anti-Putin vote. This is apparently primarily a tactical thing (they were there to be voted for) than necessarily strong support for the actual Communists. Will they step up as an opposition party? Time will tell.

Reports indicate widespread vote-fraud, with reports (and videos) of ballot stuffing having surfaced from multiple places.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 20, 2021, 12:35:20 PM
Looks like Putin's party is going to win the recent Russian election. It also looks like the Communists were the primary beneficiaries of the anti-Putin vote. This is apparently primarily a tactical thing (they were there to be voted for) than necessarily strong support for the actual Communists. Will they step up as an opposition party? Time will tell.

Reports indicate widespread vote-fraud, with reports (and videos) of ballot stuffing having surfaced from multiple places.

Most serious opposition figures are simply not allowed to run.  The Communists support Putin on most important votes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2021, 12:39:40 PM
Most serious opposition figures are simply not allowed to run.  The Communists support Putin on most important votes.

Yeah. I was seeing analysis that said that since the Communists got the opposition vote, they'd have to consider if they wanted to actually act a bit more like an opposition.

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on September 20, 2021, 12:35:20 PM

Read an article in the paper that Russia is really pushing online voting this time, especially for public servants who can vote from their supervisors' computers.  :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

On Russia I'd note that YouTube removed videos running through the best tactical votes against Putin and Apple and Google removed Navalny's app from their appstore it would tell you the best anti-Putin tactical vote in your location <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Jacob on September 20, 2021, 12:41:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2021, 12:39:40 PM

Yeah. I was seeing analysis that said that since the Communists got the opposition vote, they'd have to consider if they wanted to actually act a bit more like an opposition.

Looks like the Communists are refusing to recognize the result, saying fraud has robbed them of the mandates - especially in the Moscow area. I'm seeing reporting of up to 4,500 incidents of fraud - things like ballot stuffing and simply flipping the number of votes between candidates.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2021, 12:43:40 PM
On Russia I'd note that YouTube removed videos running through the best tactical votes against Putin and Apple and Google removed Navalny's app from their appstore it would tell you the best anti-Putin tactical vote in your location <_<

Wow.
Bending over for China I get. Yuan speaks.
But Russia?
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2021, 04:10:49 PM

Wow.
But Russia?

Ruble speaks.  :smarty:

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2021, 04:10:49 PM

Wow.
But Russia?

The choice was between removing the app and having named employees jailed by the Russians.  It's easier to decry "bending over" when you are safely and anonymously behind your keyboard.  It's less easy when it means ruining your employees' lives.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on September 20, 2021, 06:30:57 PM
The choice was between removing the app and having named employees jailed by the Russians.  It's easier to decry "bending over" when you are safely and anonymously behind your keyboard.  It's less easy when it means ruining your employees' lives.
I agree that Apple and Google had no choice, but this kind of hostage-taking has to have some consequences.  Maybe American companies should be barred from conducting business in a country where they can be extorted in such a way.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on September 20, 2021, 06:38:00 PM
I agree that Apple and Google had no choice, but this kind of hostage-taking has to have some consequences.  Maybe American companies should be barred from conducting business in a country where they can be extorted in such a way.
I agree - and I think we should consider the costs of certain businesses in certain countries. Especially because the default for them will always be to do what they need to operate in that country and have access to its market.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1440193859430981637?s=21

QuoteOliver Carroll
@olliecarroll
This @tvrain info graphic shows the gamechanging nature of controversial e-voting in Moscow  elections. Left is how things look without it - red shows victory for Navalny endorsed candidates.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 21, 2021, 04:52:28 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 20, 2021, 06:38:00 PM
I agree - and I think we should consider the costs of certain businesses in certain countries. Especially because the default for them will always be to do what they need to operate in that country and have access to its market.

THis was what I was referencing in regards to China in the AUKUS thread.

The issue with Hollywood and China is not that Hollywood wants to appeal to Chinese consumers. It is that in order to have the chance to compete for Chinese consumers, Hollywood must get their movies onto the yearly "approved" list. The CCCP approves 80ish foreign films a year.

They don't SAY you have to censor your content to never mention Taiwan, or make sure your potrayal of China is always positive, but everyone knows you have no chane of being one of those 80 spots otherwise.

And the Chinese movie market is now as large as the US. There is no way and Hollywood company can realistically decide to just give up 50% of their potential market. So of course they will make sure their content does not offend the Chinese government.

You saw similar stuff with the NBA tying itself into knots trying to be sufficiently appeasing.

This is not a free market issue - there is no free market here to fight over. It is a market access issue, and will require coordinated political action to overcome. Of course that is the case - it is coordinated political action that has created the access to begin with!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on September 21, 2021, 10:14:13 AM
The issue with Hollywood and China is not that Hollywood wants to appeal to Chinese consumers. It is that in order to have the chance to compete for Chinese consumers, Hollywood must get their movies onto the yearly "approved" list. The CCCP approves 80ish foreign films a year.

hey don't SAY you have to censor your content to never mention Taiwan, or make sure your potrayal of China is always positive, but everyone knows you have no chane of being one of those 80 spots otherwise.

I have some first hand knowledge on this. In our case, they were very troubled with our series showing the state as being fallible (and it wasn't China). We had to change that and make a new (very tacky) ending.

It reminded me of Franco censorship, which also changed many movies so the cops always got their man, the authorities made no mistakes, etc...