Post-covid economics: The great resignation, remote work, & musical chairs

Started by Josquius, September 07, 2021, 05:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I'm going to my office for the first time tomorrow. Almost managed a full year of a new job without seeing the office.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

I manage about a dozen developers.

We are never going back to the office, and I don't even make the attempt to hire locally anymore.

And that includes new hires straight out of college.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Threviel

I see that as an opportunity. I don't want to work in the big cities because of the commute and so my pay suffers. When everything settles after Covid I see myself getting a job in the big cities and working from home, hopefully with a much higher wage.

I'm an embedded developer though, so I need quite an advanced and big workplace at home, not just a desk and a display. Lots of measurement equipment and lots of different hardware so it'll be interesting to see how everything develops for us hardware near developers with working from home.

DGuller

garbon

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on October 11, 2021, 09:19:27 PM

We are never going back to the office, and I don't even make the attempt to hire locally anymore.

I still know of a good accountant/financial analyst willing to work remotely...
:P

Do you still find enough talent in the US, or do you need to recruit from foreign countries too?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on October 12, 2021, 05:40:47 PM

Do you still find enough talent in the US, or do you need to recruit from foreign countries too?

No, we pretty much stick to the US. I don't even want to contemplate the hassle of trying to figure out international labor laws....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on October 12, 2021, 10:54:19 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 12, 2021, 05:40:47 PM

No, we pretty much stick to the US. I don't even want to contemplate the hassle of trying to figure out international labor laws....

Wise move, the number of employers who are shocked to learn they need to comply with the laws in which their remote working employee resides is fairly high.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2021, 11:27:31 AM
Having to comply with laws? What happened to liberty?

That is more or less what some American clients say when they get the bad news.