News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canada Election 2021

Started by Josephus, August 15, 2021, 10:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Hmmm...what do you make of this? Shades of the U.S. election. mail in ballots may not be counted until Tuesday

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vote-counting-elections-canada-2021-1.6179742
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 17, 2021, 09:14:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 17, 2021, 04:56:18 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 17, 2021, 04:45:24 PM
So do you think it's fair to say that come Monday we'll see the last of either Justin or O'toole?

I think the knifes will be out for O'Toole almost immediately. 

I hope Justin decides to spend more time with his family but I think that is unlikely as he will be PM in a continuing minority government.

I don't think O'Toole is on his way out yet. Expectations were low, and, I think he was, until recently in the campaign, doing much better than those low expectations. I am sure some old Reform Party people will hold a grudge for recentering and trotting out Mulroney, but the current discredit of Alberta's policies may smother that fire a bit.

I think your second point is the key.  This is the Conservative (Reform, Alliance) party we are talking about here.  Plus there is a long tradition of bringing knives out at the slightest sign of weakness.  If he can do no better than Scheer did, they will probably dump him they way they did with Scheer.  And Scheer was politically more acceptable to the Reform core of the party. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on September 17, 2021, 10:27:23 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 17, 2021, 09:36:55 PM
I voted NDP. This is the way.

CC is obviously very persuasive... first BB, then you.

My work here is almost done.  When Viper reports he will vote NDP I can retire.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on September 18, 2021, 08:15:13 AM
Hmmm...what do you make of this? Shades of the U.S. election. mail in ballots may not be counted until Tuesday

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vote-counting-elections-canada-2021-1.6179742

Perhaps more like shades of BC two elections ago.  Not only will we have to wait for the mail in ballots to be counted, but we may have to see who can form a government that would have the confidence of Parliament.

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on September 18, 2021, 05:56:48 AM

:cheers:

me too.

Congrats on your assistance in potentially putting the conservatives in power :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on September 18, 2021, 10:14:33 AM

me too.

Congrats on your assistance in potentially putting the conservatives in power :P

Actually in Josephus' riding it is the Liberal voters who would be doing that.  The NDP candidate has the best chance of winning that riding.

In mine the Liberal candidate is far out in front.  I am about 99% certain how I am going to vote on Monday, the one factor I don't have to worry about is the Conservative candidate winning.

If that was a factor I would not be at 99% certainty.  :)

Grey Fox

I always vote NDP. My riding is  going to be Liberal with 40% or so.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on September 18, 2021, 10:14:33 AM

me too.

Yes, as CC explained. in my Oshawa riding, currently held by a Conservative, the NDP are polling second. Voting Liberal would guarantee a Conservative win. Trying to stop that. (Though latest poll shows a sizable  5 point lead for the Conservative. :-(
Civis Romanus Sum

crazy canuck

So Trudeau pulled out the electoral reform promise - OK Lucy, put that football down in front of me again.  I am positive you will not pull it away this time.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2021, 10:47:09 AM
So Trudeau pulled out the electoral reform promise - OK Lucy, put that football down in front of me again.  I am positive you will not pull it away this time.

Well, he's saying no proportional representation (which would lower the chances of future majority governments, Liberal and Conservative) but that he's interested in ranked preferences (which would help consolidate Liberal/ NDP votes vs Conservatives while also, presumably reducing the Conservative loss to PPC type splitters).

I mean, I'd happily look at a proposal. Like you, I don't expect one, but even if there is a proposal I'd expect it to be self-serving for the Libs.

It's certainly not an additional reason to vote Liberal, I don't think.

crazy canuck

He is trying to say now that he has always been a supporter of ranked ballots - but he was talking about proportional representation in the 2015 election.  Even more reason not to vote for this PM.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2021, 10:47:09 AM

Yeah, thought that was odd.

But as I said before, no elected government will reform a system that gets them elected.
Civis Romanus Sum

Josephus

Latest 338 poll shows Liberals and Conservatives neck in neck in percentage votes, with the Liberals getting 4 more seats than the Conservatives. This is gonna be a close one, folks.
Civis Romanus Sum

crazy canuck

Being tied in across the country is bad news for the Conservatives since they have concentrated support in two provinces.