News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In "honour" of 420 day a marijuana poll

Started by Barrister, April 20, 2021, 11:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is pot legal where you live, and do you use it?

Marijuana is legal and I use marijuana
5 (10.4%)
Marijuana is legal and I used to use marijuana
10 (20.8%)
Marijuana is legal and I have never used marijuana
7 (14.6%)
Marijuana is illegal and I use marijuana
2 (4.2%)
Marijuana is illegal and I used to use marijuana
10 (20.8%)
Marijuana is illegal and I have never used marijuana
14 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Malthus

Quote from: Legbiter on April 20, 2021, 04:15:48 PM
Tried hashish a few times back in the Precambrian. I love a good New Years' cigar, wine in good company, beer with mates but those are fairly intermittent occaisions for me.

Fuck it, once I don't want to work anymore I'll want to try psychedelics with Malthus. :hmm:

To be sure, Iceland would be a pretty awesome setting.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

ulmont

Everyone in the US who answered "legal" is technically incorrect, btw.  At most, legal and illegal simultaneously under state and federal law.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: ulmont on April 20, 2021, 07:27:40 PM
Everyone in the US who answered "legal" is technically incorrect, btw.  At most, legal and illegal simultaneously under state and federal law.

I did a little bit of reading about federal possession and consumption laws, and to my addled brain it seemed they only applied on federal property or in federal buildings.

Now I understand this an entirely academic issue because the DEA is not going to swoop in and arrest me for lighting up outside the Regal Beagle, but I'm curious if anyone can confirm or deny my understanding.

jimmy olsen

I have not used it.

However, I did take Marinol, a synthetic THC drug that was prescribed when I was getting cancer treatment. I hated it. It was a surreal out of body experience and I refused to take it again.

Recreational use of marijuana should be legal.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2021, 08:06:30 PM
I have not used it.

However, I did take Marinol, a synthetic THC drug that was prescribed when I was getting cancer treatment. I hated it. It was a surreal out of body experience and I refused to take it again.

Recreational use of marijuana should be legal.

Probably depersonalization.  You get used to it after a while.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2021, 07:35:35 PM
I did a little bit of reading about federal possession and consumption laws, and to my addled brain it seemed they only applied on federal property or in federal buildings.

Now I understand this an entirely academic issue because the DEA is not going to swoop in and arrest me for lighting up outside the Regal Beagle, but I'm curious if anyone can confirm or deny my understanding.

Nah.  "On federal property or in federal buildings" is where the federal government often has general criminal jurisdiction - in particular, the former is where you see crimes like assault being federal crimes - but the crime of possession of a controlled substance is a federal crime under 21 USC 844 regardless of where it happens.

For example:
QuoteOf the 2,149 marijuana simple possession offenders [in FY2013], the vast majority, 91.5 percent, were arrested at or near that [US/Mexico] border. The second most frequent location of arrest was at military bases (3.6%), though clearly to a substantially lesser extent than at the border. National parks accounted for 2.8 percent of the arrests and the remaining four locations identified in the coding [***Non-Federal Land***, Indian Country, Federal Building, and U.S. Highway] accounted for less than one percent each.
https://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/research-and-publications/research-publications/2016/201609_Simple-Possession.pdf

Monoriu

Marijuana is not a serious political issue in Hong Kong.  It is treated on par with any other drug like heroin.  You don't want to be caught with marijuana in Hong Kong. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 20, 2021, 10:50:39 PM
Marijuana is not a serious political issue in Hong Kong.  It is treated on par with any other drug like heroin.  You don't want to be caught with marijuana in Hong Kong. 

I hear China actually has a Goddess of Cannabis named Magu. That sounds like a religion that would really take off among certain populations in this country.

Why is Hong Kong so against freedom of religion :( I blame the British Imperialists -_-  :bowler:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Never smoked anything, just didn't interest me in the slightest.
And because cannabis was legal it also didn't have the thrill factor of doing something illegal.

Solmyr

In Finland it's illegal, but there are increasing calls for legalization (mainly from the Green Party). I've never used it, but if it's legalized, I might try just to see what it's like.

Scipio

Never used it. It's still illegal here. Mary Hawkins Hitler, the mayor of Madison, Mississippi (since 1985) filed suit to prevent the state initiative authorizing medical marijuana from taking effect. Fuck that dried up old hag. End the drug war.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josephus

I used to smoke pot A LOT. I remember being 16 or so the first time. At a friend's, listening to Pink Floyd. It was hash oil, which was big back in the 80s, and I remember feeling as though I was in a bubble floating through the stereo's speakers. I smoked through college, and I'd say my big smoking years, that is almost every night, happened between 19-24. By my late 20s I was stopping and pretty much gave it up completely by the time I was 30 in the mid 90s.. About 5 years ago I met a group of old friends, one was an ex roomie I smoked a lot with at college. We were at a bar and he was going out to smoke a joint, and asked me if I wanted to join him. It had been around 20 years or so, but I said sure. It was a weird high. That was the one and only time since the mid 90s.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2021, 03:42:43 PMI certainly do not want my kids to see me drunk either!  But I have a good understanding of how alcohol effects in and in what amounts.

It has more to do with I have no idea how cannabis would effect me, as I've never had it before.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the optics or the lessons it teaches for me to be blitzed in front of my kids. I was a big drinker in my day but now I won't do anything more than a couple glasses of wine or a few cook out beers in front of the kids. Pre-Covid I'd go on cabin trips and fishing trips with friends and my wife would stay home with the kids, I was more than happy to get wasted drunk on those outings.

As for MJ--in my 20s I was big into the partying culture and that included casual drug use, for me much more coke than anything else (and booze), I would smoke MJ very occasionally when it was offered. It's never been the drug for me, when I was inclined to degeneracy I liked feeling up and alive, not drowsy and sedate. That being said it will be legal here in a few months, I could see myself trying it out as a sleep aid. I'm a lifelong sufferer of insomnia and don't take prescription sleep meds because I've used them in the past and don't like their side effects, and also fear dependence and other issues on them. I've heard great things about pot for sleeping, so I might buy some edibles when it's legal and try taking them before bed (which would alleviate any concerns I'd have about being high around the kids since they'll be long asleep.)

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on April 21, 2021, 10:29:15 AM
I used to smoke pot A LOT. I remember being 16 or so the first time. At a friend's, listening to Pink Floyd. It was hash oil, which was big back in the 80s, and I remember feeling as though I was in a bubble floating through the stereo's speakers. I smoked through college, and I'd say my big smoking years, that is almost every night, happened between 19-24. By my late 20s I was stopping and pretty much gave it up completely by the time I was 30 in the mid 90s.. About 5 years ago I met a group of old friends, one was an ex roomie I smoked a lot with at college. We were at a bar and he was going out to smoke a joint, and asked me if I wanted to join him. It had been around 20 years or so, but I said sure. It was a weird high. That was the one and only time since the mid 90s.

i've been told, but don't have much of a reference point, that pots gotten much stronger.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.