German Federal Election 2021 - Who will succeed Angela Merkel?

Started by Zanza, April 19, 2021, 10:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The top candidates of the seven parties in the current parliament

4 (12.1%)
17 (51.5%)
4 (12.1%)
3 (9.1%)
2 (6.1%)
2 (6.1%)
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on April 20, 2021, 11:33:45 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2021, 11:31:13 AM
Hey Zanza, what's the Green's overall platform on European matters? Since there's a chance they might win.
Baerbock is a convinced Euro federalist. The party is in favour of more European integration.

Thanks, that's good to hear.

Zanza

She is also against Nordstream 2 and is a member in the parliamentary group "Friends of Taipeh" and she wants US nuclear weapons removed from Germany. So fun times in foreign policy if she wins this...

Duque de Bragança

No more Söder? :( Would have been entertaining

Carnival is really big in Germany. :)

Zanza

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2021, 12:15:09 PM
I take it Union is the CDU/CSU parties?
Yeah.

From everything I've read Soder seemed the far better/more compelling candidate. I know Laschet won the election as CDU leader, but why did they choose him as Chancellor-candidate? What counted against Soder? Just Bavarian-ness?
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2021, 12:18:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2021, 12:15:09 PM
I take it Union is the CDU/CSU parties?
Yeah.

From everything I've read Soder seemed the far better/more compelling candidate. I know Laschet won the election as CDU leader, but why did they choose him as Chancellor-candidate? What counted against Soder? Just Bavarian-ness?
The CDU had a painful debate last year which culminated in Laschet winning a competitive vote to lead the CDU in January. If they had not nominated him now, he would already be a lame duck and the party back in leadership crisis. The party board probably assumes the rank and file will fall into line.
Also the CSU may be the "sister" of the CDU, but it is hardly the most harmonious relation. Also, there are legitimate doubts about Söders personality. He is an untrustworthy backstabber...

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2021, 12:06:23 PM
:mmm:

Quite an outlier so far. Let's see how this looks in two or three weeks. But the Greens look like they may be in hitting distance.

Tonitrus

Do they have viable coalition partners?  (I am assuming they would need a few)

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 20, 2021, 01:16:44 PM

I believe they'd previously been junior partners with the SPD in the past, so probably them and/or Linke?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 20, 2021, 01:16:44 PM
They are the most centrist party and could enter a coalition with all parties except the fascists. They are currently part of 11 out of 16 state governments and have coalitions with SPD, CDU, FDP and Left party in these states.