MLB 2021

Started by Syt, April 01, 2021, 05:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2021, 10:54:01 AM
Cleveland Grovers

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That would have been outstanding!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Once again the Dodgers prove they are what the Yankees once were - the team with the most absolute and unconditional commitment to win at all costs.  They could have easily just stood pat trusting that their superior personnel would lead to them to overtake the Giants.  Instead they brushed aside the Padres bid for Scherzer and sent their two best prospects to address the last remaining weakness on the roster (SS) and add yet another ace to a staff already leading the majors in ERA.  They may have given up too much in the deal but I can't help but admire the brassiness of their balls.

As for the de jure Yankees, a few weeks ago, Bill James made a comment on his website to the effect that he thought the Yankees were struggling because they lacked left handed bats in the lineup (and quoted Casey Stengel) - then added he would expect Cashman had a plan to address it.  Indeed it he did - the Yankees now have no shortage of lefty power bats. But it ends up being treading water in the AL East because the Red Sox added Schwarber to their juggernaut, the Blue Jays added Berrios, and the Rays added no one but still have their magic juju.

Also now seems Javier Baez is going to the Mets which would make them the current power in the NY baseball world.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

And . . . Giants nab Kris Bryant to keep up with LA.

Chisox apparently gave up Nick Madrigal for a 1/2 year of Kimbrel; I don't get that one, no matter how much they are going for broke.  Either they think Madrigal's injury problems are more than just short term. or they just made a dumb move.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Saw some ire erupting around the final call in the Dodgers/Giants series. Yikes. That ... was not a good call, unless I'm missing something? Not to say Flores doesn't strike out on the next pitch, but this seems like a very shitty way to close out the series.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Looking above on the deadline deals, I got the Mets badly wrong, everything else I got right.  The Kimbrel deal ended up even worse than I thought.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2021, 07:19:16 AM
Saw some ire erupting around the final call in the Dodgers/Giants series. Yikes. That ... was not a good call, unless I'm missing something? Not to say Flores doesn't strike out on the next pitch, but this seems like a very shitty way to close out the series.

It's a blown call but blown calls are part of the game.  Cardinals fans are still bitching about Don Dekinger.

When there's two strikes on the count and you either take or check swing, you are taking your chances.  If you are not sure or it's close put some wood on the ball and foul it off.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

I didn't expect the Red Sox to make it this far.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Maybe it's me, but I feel the Bucs may have a slight weakness in the catcher position with the current roster.  :hmm:

https://www.mlb.com/pirates/roster/depth-chart

Also, Max Scherzer's contract annual salary is almost as much as the entire Pirates payroll. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

Hayes can cover it from third.  His range is that good.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould