News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

MLB 2021

Started by Syt, April 01, 2021, 05:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Well yeah his OBP might stay that high but his SLG goes from .812 to .000.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Minsky, you said you had Bichette in your Perfect Team lineup?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

I guess they don't have water coolers to punch anymore?  :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I like the realization restraint ... "Ugh, I'm going to need my hand again soon ..."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Pittsburgh Pirates making history! :w00t:

https://www.wbsc.org/news/alessandro-ercolani-becomes-first-san-marino-citizen-to-sign-professional-baseball-contract

QuoteAlessandro Ercolani becomes first San Marino citizen to sign professional baseball contract

The 17-year-old righthander will join the Pittsburgh Pirates minor league camp in early May.
Right-handed pitcher Alessandro Ercolani, born 20 April 2004, became the first player developed in the Republic of San Marino to sign for a Major League Baseball (MLB) organization, when he recently agreed to terms with the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The historic signing generated a buzz in San Marino.

Ercolani will join the Pirates' minor league camp in Bradenton, Florida, in early May.

"I feel proud," said Ercolani during a press conference. "I understand I will have to compete at a high level."

Alessandro Maestri, the Italian pitcher who played professional baseball in the US Minor Leagues, Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB), Korea Baseball Organization (KBO), Mexican Baseball League (LMB) and Australian Baseball League (ABL) also began a pro career in San Marino back in 2005.

"I spoke to him," commented Ercolani. "He told me that I will have good and bad days, and that I need to control my emotions and focus on competing."

"We like what we saw on the mound," said Tom Gillespie, the Pirates' scouting coordinator for Europe and Africa. "We also liked Alessandro's attitude. We believe he can compete at the professional level."

Enea Ercolani, Alessandro's father, is the president of the San Marino Baseball Softball Federation. "I can't express how much pride I feel," he said. "It's an unbelievable accomplishment."

WBSC Treasurer Angelo Vicini is a San Marino National and was given the floor at the press conference.

"My advice to Alessandro is to consider this the starting point of a new path," Vinici said.

The Republic of San Marino has been an independent State within the Italian peninsula since the year 301. Its top baseball team competes in the Italian Baseball League (Serie A1).

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Well that is cool. Always good to see another old world country take up the game :cool:

The Red Sox sure put the Orioles in their place. Ah well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

https://twitter.com/StatsBySTATS/status/1382166503383044102?s=20

QuoteThe @Pirates beat the Padres 8-4 tonight despite walking 13 and hitting 3 batters.

They're the first team to issue at least 16 combined BB+HBP in a 9-inning win since the Browns on June 21, 1948.

:lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

The Browns game was a wild one; there were 5 lead changes, and the Browns came back in the bottom of ninth down 3; the runs were scored with 2 outs:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SLA/SLA194806210.shtml

The Philadelphia Athletics finished 2nd in the league in bases on balls with 725.  That was in a 154 game schedule.  By way of comparison the Astros led the majors in 2019 with 645 in 162 games. Eddie Joost and Ferris Fain drew 7 walks between them in the game; they both had over 110 on the season.

It's the sort of record that you wouldn't think could be broken c. 2021 but the Pirates will find a way.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Yankees starting pitching to date

G. Cole 2-0 1.47 ERA 1.18 FIP
Montgomery 1-0 3.27 4.60
Taillon  0-1 7.56 6.14
German  0-2 9.00 9.43 0 women hit by pitcher
Kluber 0-1 5.68 5.51

The wing it plan for the back of the rotation is not off to a great start.

"Monty, Cole, and a giant black hole"
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 14, 2021, 12:46:44 AM
https://twitter.com/StatsBySTATS/status/1382166503383044102?s=20

QuoteThe @Pirates beat the Padres 8-4 tonight despite walking 13 and hitting 3 batters.

They're the first team to issue at least 16 combined BB+HBP in a 9-inning win since the Browns on June 21, 1948.

:lol:

The St Louis Browns were so shitty they sucked even while winning.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 14, 2021, 08:18:52 AM
Eddie Joost

Wait Eddie...Joost? Not Eddie Yost?

*looks it up*

Well damn. Two players with almost identical names who played at the same time who were famous for drawing walks.

Valmy

By the way congrats to Carlos Rodon on blowing his perfect game but still getting a no hitter.

The Orioles are going to play their second consecutive double header tomorrow. I wonder when was the last time that happened.

The Minsky Moment

It's fitting that the only year the Browns won the pennant was a war year, and then they promptly lost the Series.
To the Cardinals of course.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 14, 2021, 11:00:05 PM
It's fitting that the only year the Browns won the pennant was a war year, and then they promptly lost the Series.
To the Cardinals of course.

Their entire history is just "We had George Sisler and lost anyway"

I kind of feel bad for Sisler because if he had played for a team that wasn't the Browns he would be this famous alltime great. But instead he played for a team that no longer exists and whatever few fans it had are long dead.

Edit: Even his Wikipedia page has a picture of him playing in College for Michigan :lol: well at least that would make grumbler happy.

Barrister

I love it when the Royals play Toronto - I can actually get the scores on the radio.

Of course I like it even more when the Royals win - which they did yesterday. 

ROyals have a half game lead atop the AL Central.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.