News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

MLB 2021

Started by Syt, April 01, 2021, 05:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

The Pirates win their opening day game 5-3 at Wrigley field, not least thanks to a beauitful 2-run homer by Hayes in the 1st. :)

Cubs and Pirates starters (Hendricks and Kuhl, respectively) both looked shaky and were taken out after 3 innings. Cubs went through 8 pitchers - they gave up 11 BB, plus 9 hits, plus a HBP.

I should stop watching now, because this is probably as good as it gets for the season. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

The Orioles are already enjoying a 1/2 game lead over the Yankees.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Royals over the Rangers, 14-10????

I might need to track down some highlights of that one.

Edit: it was 8-7 after 3 innings. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31183822/mlb-moving-all-star-game-atlanta-georgia-voting-law

QuoteMLB moving All-Star Game from Atlanta over Georgia voting law

Major League Baseball is moving the 2021 All-Star Game and 2021 draft out of Atlanta in response to a new Georgia voting law that critics say unfairly limits access to the ballot box, especially for people of color.

"Over the last week, we have engaged in thoughtful conversations with Clubs, former and current players, the Players Association, and The Players Alliance, among others, to listen to their views," MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. "I have decided that the best way to demonstrate our values as a sport is by relocating this year's All-Star Game and MLB Draft."

The decision follows calls from as the White House to consider moving the midsummer classic out of Atlanta.

EDIT:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2021, 10:28:19 PM
Royals over the Rangers, 14-10????

I might need to track down some highlights of that one.

Edit: it was 8-7 after 3 innings. :lol:

In game 2 it's 11-4 Royals vs the Rangers.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Well, that looked more like the Pirates I know.  :cry:

Hits, strike outs etc. very similar between Cubs and Bucs but Pirates defense looked seriously shaky. Also didn't help that Hayes stepped out after two innings because he messed up his wrist hitting a foul ball. Nothing serious, it looks like, just a precaution. Some expect him to be rookie of the year, but ... eh. If he doesn't live up to the hype he will be replaced by someone else in a year or three. If he does, he will be traded away a year later. As a Pirates fan it's not good to be come attached to any player on the roster, as the owner made it clear in the past that he doesn't seem to care about building a team that's competitive over a longer period. It's eternal rebuild purgatory.

Anyways, Zach Wheeler had a fun game for the Phillies last night. Retired 17 in a row, 10 SOs, and 2 for 3 at bat, with a double and 2 RBI. :D And Yermin Mercedes who went 5/5 in his first game for the White Sox, "only" went 3/4 yesterday. Still, a streak of 8 hits to start of your Major League stint isn't too bad, I suppose. :P

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Damn. If only the Orioles could play the Red Sox 159 more times.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

:lol:

Pirates scored 3 runs on 7 hits, which would be fine if they didn't manage to give up 4 runs on 3 hits. Mitch Keller is supposed to be one of the Great Hopes(TM) for the team, but his pitching was all over the place, literally.

Just saw the highlights for Shohei Ohtani on the Angels' roster. He pitched the highest velocity this weekend, AND hit the ball with the highest exit speed. And apparently it's the first time since the 70s that an AL team have their pitcher in the lineup instead of a DH (he's batting #2 spot). :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

Watched the tail end of the Padres game last night; they were struggling but Tatis hit a monster shot that almost exited the stadium.
Going to be fun race for MVP in the NL this year,
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

So, observation from a returning viewer - I last closely followed during the 2013/14 seasons and the Bucs' botched playoff attempts (and I guess I can be glad I missed the dumpster fire that was 2019 Pirates clubhouse  :ph34r: ).

Over the weekend I felt that there were notably more home runs than when last I watched. And I also caught the chatter that this season's ball is designed to allow less homers.

Yesterday's Pirates-Reds game alone had 5 homers (fun fact: both Pirates and Brewers scored 3 home runs yesterday, yet lost their games - goes to show homers aren't as useful without men on base).

So I had a look at season stats, and last I watched HRs per team game were under 1, but generally around 1.

But since 2016 that number has exploded while hit numbers and numbers of 2Bs and 3Bs seem roughly the same, so ... what gives? :unsure:

Another thing (but I expected that) - relievers are brought in earlier. During 2006 - 2008 there were between 34 and 45 pitchers who pitched 200+ innings. in 2017 - 2019 that number had shrunk to between 13 and 15. The number of pitchers with 150+ innings went from 93 - 101 down to 76 - 79; not as dramatic, but still a 20% drop.
—Stephen Jay Gould

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2021, 01:34:58 AM

But since 2016 that number has exploded while hit numbers and numbers of 2Bs and 3Bs seem roughly the same, so ... what gives? :unsure:

I think the theory is that pitch velocity is higher than before, and hitters have generally gotten stronger...strike outs are up big time and stolen bases are way off...the game has gotten away from small ball and been more about home runs than before.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Yeah if you like action on the bases and in the field it is just not your era. If you love home runs and strike outs though every game is a endless buffet.

Syt

If it was caused by pitch velocity going up, wouldn't the HR percentage go up more gradually? But there was a jump in 2016/17 and it has stayed there for now. It feels like there might be either a change in equipment or technique that happened within a season or two.
—Stephen Jay Gould

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on April 07, 2021, 01:52:14 AM
If it was caused by pitch velocity going up, wouldn't the HR percentage go up more gradually? But there was a jump in 2016/17 and it has stayed there for now. It feels like there might be either a change in equipment or technique that happened within a season or two.

Using the chart above, there was an 8.6% increase in home runs from 2016 to 2017, following a 14.8% increase the previous year. Strike outs were up 2.7% and 4.2%, which isn't everything but is in the same direction.

But if you look at longer trends, batting averages were .245 last year (and so far just .237 this year)--the lowest this century and a relatively steady decline from .270 in 2000. Strike outs have also steadily increased since 2000 and last year were up 34.6% from 2000.

I think technique (or at least player development and selection) has changed: everyone wants to hit for power.

There are stats on average pitch velocity but a 30 second google didn't turn them up.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014