News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Journey to the center of the Earth

Started by viper37, March 26, 2021, 09:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I have a problem with this far fetch theory, but meh, Languish loves that kind of things :P

The Massive Remnants of an Alien World Are Hidden Near the Earth's Core, Study Proposes
QuoteTwo gigantic chunks of material lurking deep under the surface of Earth might be remnants of an alien world called Theia that violently collided with our infant planet in an ancient impact that created the Moon. That sentence may sound like the synopsis for a sci-fi epic, but it's actually a new hypothesis proposed by scientists in a presentation at the 52nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference 2021, which was held virtually last week. A team led by Qian Yuan, a PhD student studying geological sciences at Arizona State University, suggests that two mysteriously dense zones located more than 1,000 miles under Earth's surface are "left-over Theia mantle materials," according to the presentation summary. Yuan and his colleagues back up this trippy idea with geodynamical models as well as evidence collected about these subterranean zones, which are known as large low-shear-velocity provinces (LLSVPs), or more informally as the "blobs." Located under the Pacific Ocean and West Africa, these continent-sized LLSVPs are hundreds of miles high and thousands of miles across, making them the most massive formations in Earth's interior."You could say that these are the biggest and largest meteorites, if they are mostly Theia's mantle," said Yuan in a call. "It's very cool."Yuan first started thinking about the possibility that the blobs might have been extraterrestrially punched into Earth's interior during a class about the so-called "giant impact hypothesis" taught by Mikhail Zolotov, a planetary geochemist at ASU. This hypothesis proposes that the Moon was formed in the fallout of a catastrophic collision some 4.5 billion years ago. Earth had barely been born before another planet crashed into it, spewing enormous volumes of planetary debris into space that eventually accumulated into the radiant natural satellite that graces our skies today. Scientists have generally estimated that this bygone planet, named Theia after the mother of a Greek lunar goddess, was about the size of Mars, but some models suggest it was both smaller and bigger than that scale.When Zolotov mentioned that one of the hypothesis' weaknesses was that no clearly identifiable pieces of Theia have ever been found, Yuan had a sudden flash of insight."That really struck me, because at the time I was studying LLSVPs," he said. "I knew that people were arguing that LLSVPs could be even older than the age of the Moon."  "When I got back to my office, I just did a very easy calculation where I compared the size of the LLSVPs to the mantle of Mars, because Theia was believed to be very similar to Mars," Yuan continued. "The total mass of the Moon, together with the LLSVPs, is almost perfectly matched with Mars' mantle." This initial calculation suggested the scale of the LLSVPs was roughly in line with an ancient impact origin, though Theia would need to have been bigger than Mars because a lot of this mantle material would be lost to space in the aftermath of the crash."You will lose some material during the impact, for sure," Yuan said. "You cannot transfer Theia's mantle whole."Still, the result convinced Yuan that he was on the right track, though he thought it was "kind of crazy," he said. But after discussing the hypothesis with his advisor and other experts on the giant impact hypothesis, he began to accumulate more evidence that these subterranean blobs really might have come from outer space.For instance, Yuan came across a 2019 study in Geochemistry, led by ASU astrophysicist Steve Desch, that includes an in-depth analysis of Moon rocks returned to Earth from the Apollo missions. The research suggested that Theia was about four times larger than Mars, with low levels of moisture and an iron-rich mantle that was about two to three percent denser than Earth's mantle. As it happens, the LLSVPs are also estimated to be about two to three percent more dense than the surrounding mantle, providing another intriguing hint that they could be pieces of Theia. When Desch heard about Yuan's hypothesis, his interest was piqued and he co-authored the new research that was presented at the conference last week.  It is mind-boggling to imagine that there are enormous scraps of an alien world deep under our feet, injected during Earth's infancy by a disastrous world-smashing event that created the Moon. Right now, this all remains hypothetical, but Yuan is optimistic that there are ways to build on the existing evidence and perhaps prove that the LLSVPs have an extraterrestrial origin.For instance, if scientists could get their hands on pristine samples of the Moon's mantle, perhaps retrieved from the exposed crater in the lunar South Pole, they might be able to compare its composition to the makeup of the LLSVPs. Though these blobs are located far too deep inside our planet to be directly sampled, their composition can be inferred from seismic studies of their densities and analysis of volcanic islands that are linked to these deep zones via mantle plumes. "If people can find some chemical relationship between the lunar mantle materials with the LLSVPs, it may suggest they have the same ancestor: Theia," Yuan said. "Otherwise, these two materials shouldn't have any relationship." "The LLSVPs are thought to be very old, and have noble gas isotopes," he continued. "If the mantle rocks of the Moon also have similar noble gas isotopes, I think that's the final task for our hypothesis."
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Agelastus

Which part do you consider far-fetched? That these two "chunks of material" are remnants of the planet from the Giant-Impact Hypothesis, or the Hypothesis itself?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

This doesn't seem far-fetched in the least.  The impact theory is the most widely endorsed theory in the formation of the moon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Agelastus on March 26, 2021, 10:54:40 AM
Which part do you consider far-fetched? That these two "chunks of material" are remnants of the planet from the Giant-Impact Hypothesis, or the Hypothesis itself?
they hypothesis that there would be semi-intact remnants of the planets inside the Earth's crust.  Dust, sure.  Minerals, yeah, why not. But more or less intact part of a planet and the Earth formed around it, I'm not convinced so far.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

No one is "convinced so far."  It's a hypothesis presented at a conference. Viper, I cannot see any reason for you to have decided against it with no evidence at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on March 26, 2021, 01:59:14 PM
No one is "convinced so far."  It's a hypothesis presented at a conference. Viper, I cannot see any reason for you to have decided against it with no evidence at all.
I have not decided either way.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on March 26, 2021, 05:27:09 PM
The headline angers me.

Yeah, it is terribly sensationalist.  I suppose the headline "Remnants of ancient collision may still be clumped together inside the Earth" isn't as as sexy.

PDH

Jokes on them.  The world. being flat, doesn't have a core like that.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.