News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anonymous Sources

Started by alfred russel, January 14, 2021, 10:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on January 14, 2021, 02:45:48 PM
AR, do you think the AP guide is good or bad?

I think the AP guide is good. My view is that a lot of uses of anonymous sources fall short of that standard.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2021, 02:37:28 PM
So what exactly the hill you want to die on?  That sources should only be protected when the story falls into a category you deem acceptable?

That gratuitous use of anonymous sources is shit journalism, the CNN story as the non theoretical example.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2021, 02:55:31 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 14, 2021, 02:45:48 PM
AR, do you think the AP guide is good or bad?

I think the AP guide is good. My view is that a lot of uses of anonymous sources fall short of that standard.

As you know many news outlets are about telling a story, influencing society in a desired direction. Not about reporting news. If you're an orange fan you might want apples to taste like oranges, but it's an uphill battle.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2021, 03:40:41 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 14, 2021, 03:39:48 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2021, 10:52:41 AM
I will die on this hill

Please don't, choose life.

There is a compelling pro choice argument here
CC, serious question, in a thread full of serious questions.  On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being Martinus and 10 being The Brain, where do you think most of your contributions to discourse on this forum land?

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on January 14, 2021, 04:19:29 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2021, 03:40:41 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 14, 2021, 03:39:48 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2021, 10:52:41 AM
I will die on this hill

Please don't, choose life.

There is a compelling pro choice argument here
CC, serious question, in a thread full of serious questions.  On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being Martinus and 10 being The Brain, where do you think most of your contributions to discourse on this forum land?

Monoriu

I don't have a problem with anonymous sources.  If the media doesn't use anonymous sources, the implication is that I will know a lot less, because the fact is a lot of people will only speak on condition of being anonymous.  The alternative is they won't speak at all. 

grumbler

I agree with the AP that the bar for using anonymous sources should be high.  I have seen no evidence that the CNN story did not meet that bar.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on January 14, 2021, 04:19:29 PMwith 1 being Martinus

A bit harsh on Marty he had some truly visionary ideas. If only the Capitol Police had done more tackling last weeks riot could have stopped in its tracks.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

One of the notable characteristics of the Trump era was the brutal vindictiveness meted out on any person who publicly called out the President's actions. People like Vindman and Hill were trashed, had careers destroyed and were exposed to harassment, threats and intimidation.  At the same time, the Trump administration displayed an unprecedented lack of transparency, ignoring subpoenas and dismantling and undermining the IGs at every turn.  To complain about anonymous sources as if in a vacuum when we live now in this very real context is breathtakingly naive.  One of the key roles of an independent media is to hold power accountable and expose abuses.  Anonymous sources are critical and essential tools in that task.  There are questions of reliability which is why good journalists disclose their use and (hopefully) vet them.  The risk of unreliability has to be balanced against the benefit of throwing some sunshine and light over the darkest and most dangerous corridors of power.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 14, 2021, 10:34:49 PM
One of the notable characteristics of the Trump era was the brutal vindictiveness meted out on any person who publicly called out the President's actions. People like Vindman and Hill were trashed, had careers destroyed and were exposed to harassment, threats and intimidation.  At the same time, the Trump administration displayed an unprecedented lack of transparency, ignoring subpoenas and dismantling and undermining the IGs at every turn.  To complain about anonymous sources as if in a vacuum when we live now in this very real context is breathtakingly naive.  One of the key roles of an independent media is to hold power accountable and expose abuses.  Anonymous sources are critical and essential tools in that task.  There are questions of reliability which is why good journalists disclose their use and (hopefully) vet them.  The risk of unreliability has to be balanced against the benefit of throwing some sunshine and light over the darkest and most dangerous corridors of power.

I disagree on two fronts:

-the lesser of the two is that this specific case relates to Congress and not the Executive branch, and the executive is quite notably exiting the scene.
-it is mind numbingly obvious how corrupt and incompetent Trump is. You have senior people that served in the highest levels of his administration, who have come out on the record, under their own names, and detailed just those facts.

The Minsky Moment

Well the specific case is members of Congress who allegedly don't want to identify themselves as crypto anti Trumpites for fear of murder or assault.  So to expect them to volunteer their names seems unrealistic.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

What is Languish, but a large collection of anonymous sources?

:cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on January 15, 2021, 10:04:55 AM
What is Languish, but a large collection of anonymous sources?

:cool:

Says who?