News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anonymous Sources

Started by alfred russel, January 14, 2021, 10:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: PDH on January 14, 2021, 12:16:12 PM
I was commenting on your promise to not say any more.

I know.  :huh:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

So what's CNN's standard for use of anonymous sources?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2021, 12:13:49 PM
Please explain.

Not doing something because you're afraid you'll be killed for taking that action has its effectiveness drastically undermined by announcing immediately afterwards you would have done it if not for the threat.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2021, 12:16:16 PM
The explanation has been given multiple times in other threads when you brought up the same point.

New data point for Troll farm participant.  AF, Dorsey, Sergei or whatever you call yourself in other forums.

CC, I don't think that's fair or appropriate.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on January 14, 2021, 12:32:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2021, 12:16:16 PM
The explanation has been given multiple times in other threads when you brought up the same point.

New data point for Troll farm participant.  AF, Dorsey, Sergei or whatever you call yourself in other forums.

CC, I don't think that's fair or appropriate.

Why, we know he lies about his identity.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on January 14, 2021, 12:25:41 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2021, 12:13:49 PM
Please explain.

Not doing something because you're afraid you'll be killed for taking that action has its effectiveness drastically undermined by announcing immediately afterwards you would have done it if not for the threat.

The journalist didn't give an indication that her source was a representative.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Grey Fox

Is your problem with the Journalist not telling you who is the source or is it with the source wanting to be anonymous?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 14, 2021, 01:55:51 PM
Is your problem with the Journalist not telling you who is the source or is it with the source wanting to be anonymous?

My problem is with the lack of verifiability, to the point stories are basically reporting gossip.

If the reporter said, "republican sources tell me that congressman joe is going to vote affirmatively on the bill," that is much different than what we have here--over the long run we can evaluate the reporter's track record of providing accurate information through anonymous sources.

crazy canuck

So serious question.  Do you know the historic fight journalists have waged to not reveal sources and how important that is to reporting on political corruption and incompetence?

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2021, 02:04:34 PM
My problem is with the lack of verifiability, to the point stories are basically reporting gossip.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Gossip matters - everyone in DC wants to hear the latest gossip and make political decisions based on it. Why shouldn't we be party to it too?
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2021, 02:04:34 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 14, 2021, 01:55:51 PM

Alright. Your issue is that you don't think it's worthy news. I understand, I have this issue with lots of things on the news too. Like every time there is a story on a fire.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2021, 02:08:29 PM
So serious question.  Do you know the historic fight journalists have waged to not reveal sources and how important that is to reporting on political corruption and incompetence?

I don't think that is a serious question, because I strongly suspect you know I am.

If this journalist was legally detained and jailed for not revealing her anonymous sources for the story, I would possibly be even more upset than I am about the topic of this thread (if that is possible). Certainly we can allow journalists to be legally free to report stories using anonymous sources while still expecting them to adhere to standards while doing so.

crazy canuck

So what exactly the hill you want to die on?  That sources should only be protected when the story falls into a category you deem acceptable?

The Brain

AR, do you think the AP guide is good or bad?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.