News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2021

Started by Maladict, January 10, 2021, 02:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Last year I joined a swimming course in my local swimming club. By chance three old class mates of mine had the same idea and it's been great fun doing it with them. When the second wave of Corona hit in November it was cancelled, but after new years it started up again. Swimming is hard training when doing it right I've discovered.

My old class mates are guys who've been exercising their whole lives and they don't have a beer keg like me, so I've had problem keeping up with them. They've also been able to put in extra passes during the week which I've not. But, working from home, I've started running and mountain biking just to build cardio to be able to keep up. It's been a great motivator making me exercising at home Monday-Wednesday, resting till Saturday and swimming.

This working from home thingy is excellent, saves me 1.5 hours every day that I can use for exercise. When Corona is over I will definitely try to work more from home.

Though the main goal is general health an important side goal is to lose weight. I clock in at 86ish kg and I want to get down to 70-75ish kg which would be a good weight for me. I have not, even with all this exercise, lost a kg.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 08, 2021, 02:00:25 AM
My diet proceeds well and i have lost 14 pounds since Christmas. 34 more to lose and I will be back at my 1980 weight. Main exercise is brisk walking, about ten miles a day these days. I do a few exercises for the upper body and arms but find them very easy to forget  <_<

:cool:

That's some going Tricky, but be careful it can be addictive, I've an aquaintance who's 71 and he's out nearly everyday Winter or Summer, sometimes for 7 or 8 hours of walking. :blink:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 06, 2021, 08:38:13 PM

I took your pep talk to heart.  Morning workouts have begun again  :)

Excellent!

I've roped in my wife to do the interval training part with me. Turns out she is better at it than I am.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Threviel on April 08, 2021, 03:02:11 AM
Last year I joined a swimming course in my local swimming club. By chance three old class mates of mine had the same idea and it's been great fun doing it with them. When the second wave of Corona hit in November it was cancelled, but after new years it started up again. Swimming is hard training when doing it right I've discovered.

My old class mates are guys who've been exercising their whole lives and they don't have a beer keg like me, so I've had problem keeping up with them. They've also been able to put in extra passes during the week which I've not. But, working from home, I've started running and mountain biking just to build cardio to be able to keep up. It's been a great motivator making me exercising at home Monday-Wednesday, resting till Saturday and swimming.

This working from home thingy is excellent, saves me 1.5 hours every day that I can use for exercise. When Corona is over I will definitely try to work more from home.

Though the main goal is general health an important side goal is to lose weight. I clock in at 86ish kg and I want to get down to 70-75ish kg which would be a good weight for me. I have not, even with all this exercise, lost a kg.

It is difficult to lose weight by exercising alone - unfortunately, weight loss usually requires keeping track of what you eat at the same time as you exercise.

I've been able to lose quite a bit of weight, but that was all from controlling diet. I've run into a bit of a wall though, I'm hovering at the same weight for a while now, even though I'd like to lose another ten pounds or so.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Threviel

Yeah, I did it about seven years ago. Calorie app on the phone and lots of training, got down to 72ish from 95ish and was happy there. Then we had kid nr 2 and my wife got sick and we lost all direction for a few years.

This time I don't have the motivation to count calories, that shit is good for you, but hellishly boring. So I'll see where swimming takes me.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on April 08, 2021, 09:32:22 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 08, 2021, 02:00:25 AM
My diet proceeds well and i have lost 14 pounds since Christmas. 34 more to lose and I will be back at my 1980 weight. Main exercise is brisk walking, about ten miles a day these days. I do a few exercises for the upper body and arms but find them very easy to forget  <_<

That's some going Tricky, but be careful it can be addictive, I've an aquaintance who's 71 and he's out nearly everyday Winter or Summer, sometimes for 7 or 8 hours of walking. :blink:

Yes, I've heard that can be a problem but fear not...I have a non-addictive personality  :cool:

But low on willpower and perseverance; the principal risk is that I forget my object and accidentally stop the program.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: saskganesh on April 06, 2021, 06:30:44 PM
I met a coyote last week, and this week I saw another. They like the dark, obviously.

When are they bringing you across?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Dusted off ye olde dumbbells again at lowest setting (5.5 kg each). Been doing some light exercises over the last few days and did my first full workout for all muscle groups today (a dozen exercises with 3 sets of 10 slow reps each; 30-45 sec pause between sets and about 2 minutes between exercises). Took me about an hour, but I'm pleasantly exhausted (though I expect to be quite sore tomorrow :P )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

saskganesh

Looks like I have quit smoking. Again. Because there's fuck else to do during these lockdowns.

I will hit 25 miles this week easy.
humans were created in their own image

mongers

Quote from: saskganesh on April 11, 2021, 04:04:04 PM
Looks like I have quit smoking. Again. Because there's fuck else to do during these lockdowns.

I will hit 25 miles this week easy.

It's certainly worth a go.

Good going on the running.

This evening I did 24 miles on the old bike, one working gear, did the loop a minute or two quicker than last time I did it, all of 6 months ago, so not to shabby. The route even includes an actual hill!

saskganesh

nice.  :bowler:

I just finished my 9th day off tobacco. It looks like I have finally done it. :)

mongers

Quote from: saskganesh on April 16, 2021, 09:00:33 PM

I just finished my 9th day off tobacco. It looks like I have finally done it. :)

That's one of the toughest battles anyone can have.

Malthus

Excellent!

Funny thing, just by coincidence, I had my last smoke at a Languish meet I think you were also at - fifteen years ago or so. Right before my kid was born.

Malthus

Also, still going with the morning workouts.

saskganesh

Quote from: Malthus on April 17, 2021, 01:15:52 PM

Excellent!

Funny thing, just by coincidence, I had my last smoke at a Languish meet I think you were also at - fifteen years ago or so. Right before my kid was born.

I think I still have the pictures.