News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2021

Started by Maladict, January 10, 2021, 02:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on March 08, 2021, 11:48:13 AM

That's interesting Mal, I was thinking of doing some extended walking when I can get back to using the trains, thinking of doing some day long excursions with maybe an overnight camp, so 'thinking'* about carrying a rucksac.

* purely theoretical at this point in time.

Cool, have you done it before? If not, start doing short walks from home with a full pack, before the trains come back.
It definitely takes some getting used to.

alfred russel

Quote from: saskganesh on January 20, 2021, 10:25:44 PM
On Sunday, I ran six, then walked three. Ran out of gas. It was nice to be out, but it's been a struggle to maintain consistency.

I haven't been running much at all all...but last weekend I did a race that was a 10 mile trail run that started about an hour after sunset--so it was entirely by headlamp. It had about 1100 feet of elevation gain: which was just another element to kick my ass. There were a few scrambling sections over rock, I wiped out once, and lost the trail a few times. Finished in 1:55 after a decent amount of walking (would like to say due to the challenge of route finding and not tripping, but there was a heavy fitness component :( ).

Good enough for 46th out of 92 participants: perfectly mediocre. :) I was sore for the next few days and still bruised up from the wipe out.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on March 08, 2021, 12:12:05 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 08, 2021, 11:48:13 AM

That's interesting Mal, I was thinking of doing some extended walking when I can get back to using the trains, thinking of doing some day long excursions with maybe an overnight camp, so 'thinking'* about carrying a rucksac.

* purely theoretical at this point in time.

Cool, have you done it before? If not, start doing short walks from home with a full pack, before the trains come back.
It definitely takes some getting used to.

Yes, a fair bit in the past, but like decades ago now.  :cool:

Thanks that's good advice, maybe I'll go in the loft later and find my rucksac and tent.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Spring is here, so I've decided to actually do a morning exercise routine and stick with it. The idea is to get up early and exercise before taking a shower and having breakfast.

Other than going on long walks, I pretty much quit exercising with the start of the pandemic and the gyms all closing - plus I was concentrating on losing weight via dieting, plus the winter weather was so miserable. But now, I need to get a bit more fit.

My routine is to do one day of mostly body weight exercises (push ups, squats, lunges, jumping Jacks, etc.) and the next day doing interval running (run fast for 30 seconds, then walk for two minutes, then repeat). Starting with only a few reps of each exercise, aiming to ramp it up as I get more used to it.

Been doing this for a week now. Reasonably sore, from being so sedentary. Still, it's a start.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

I keep telling myself that tomorrow I will start doing that again.  I have been pathetic.

Maladict

mongers

Just been looking for this thread on page 3 or 4 of the forum index, so surprised to find it here at the top of page one; gasp people are doing fitness stuff!   :P

Myself, this month I've cycled further than the total  I did during all of the three preceding Winter months. Though that's still only 240 or so miles this month, so a very long way to go, figuratively and geographically so.  :(

April's target, is to cycle off of my two 'home' 50,000 OS* maps in all points of the compass.
Or at the very least travel further N,S,E and W than I did at any point during the pandemic.

*Salisbury Plain and Bournemouth/The Purbecks.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 31, 2021, 05:25:28 PM
I keep telling myself that tomorrow I will start doing that again.  I have been pathetic.

I had a million excuses not to start, for months ... I was dieting, the gyms were closed, the weather was bad, etc.

I hate exercise and I hate getting up early, which is the real reason I wasn't doing it. I just had to remind myself that I hate being unwell even more.

Though the hard part is going to be being consistent. I'm pretty happy I've been able to control my eating and lose some excess weight, and that was the really hard part for me - so I hope if I can do that, I can keep up doing exercises.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

On a related note - for someone like me who just wants to stay fit, rather than building big muscles, access to a gym isn't really necessary. Simple bodyweight exercises you can do anywhere, and they do the job.

Maladict

Quote from: Malthus on March 31, 2021, 11:31:12 PM

Though the hard part is going to be being consistent.

Rope someone else into doing it with you, even if it's in an entirely different place. It works.

saskganesh

I live in Balmy Beach (in TO) so I have a beach and a boardwalk. What currently works for me is to get up at 5AM  a few days a week and run three miles. It's really glorious.  On weekends, I do a "long" run, which is 6 miles or more.

I am 50% of where I was at two years ago. But I have started a daily pushup regimen, so that is quite good, on balance.
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

I met a coyote last week, and this week I saw another. They like the dark, obviously.
humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on March 31, 2021, 11:31:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 31, 2021, 05:25:28 PM

I had a million excuses not to start, for months ... I was dieting, the gyms were closed, the weather was bad, etc.

I hate exercise and I hate getting up early, which is the real reason I wasn't doing it. I just had to remind myself that I hate being unwell even more.

Though the hard part is going to be being consistent. I'm pretty happy I've been able to control my eating and lose some excess weight, and that was the really hard part for me - so I hope if I can do that, I can keep up doing exercises.

I took your pep talk to heart.  Morning workouts have begun again  :)

Richard Hakluyt

My diet proceeds well and i have lost 14 pounds since Christmas. 34 more to lose and I will be back at my 1980 weight. Main exercise is brisk walking, about ten miles a day these days. I do a few exercises for the upper body and arms but find them very easy to forget  <_<

celedhring

Hit 103 Kg today. Just 3 off my target!

Praying that gyms don't get closed again...