News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2021, 11:28:14 AM
This ad by Gov. Kemp (GA) is ... interesting.  :wacko:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1439254679880339463?s=20

QuoteHmm...this page doesn't exist. Try searching for something else.

deleted, apparently.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

I pity the intern who had to get those memes printed.

The Minsky Moment

At least now we know why she's off her lithium.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Afghanistan's lithium production is zero BTW.  They have some deposits that have never been developed, probably never will be. 

The largest lithium producer in the world by a very wide margin is Australia - the country Biden just signed an accord with.  Of the remaining 4 of the top 5, 3 of them are located in South America and are friendly to the US. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/458805-diaz-review-vaccine-mandates/

QuoteManny Diaz wants to 'review' existing non-COVID-19 vaccine mandates

Diaz opposes vaccine mandates, but supports private business decisions on them.

Florida's ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic will continue to be a major focus during the 2022 Legislative Session for Sen. Manny Diaz, the top Republican shaping health care policy in the upper chamber.

His work could include revisiting existing vaccine requirements long in place in schools, a response to the debate about whether COVID-19 vaccines should also be required.

Diaz, who came down with COVID-19 last winter, said he wants to review the state's vaccination efforts as well as Gov. Ron DeSantis' work on getting monoclonal antibody treatments to those who test positive for COVID-19.

The Senator, who acknowledges he hasn't gotten a COVID-19 vaccine, says he's firmly against vaccine mandates. At the urging of the Governor, the Legislature earlier this year passed a bill that would prevent private businesses from requiring proof of vaccination from their customers. But the bill did not ban employers from requiring their employees to be vaccinated.

Unlike some of his Republican colleagues, Diaz said he does not endorse blocking private employers from requiring vaccines.

It  "gets more complicated," Diaz said of striking the balance between individuals' and employers' rights.

Republicans opposed to so-called "vaccine passports" have faced criticism, particularly as it relates to schools where current law already requires a bevy of vaccinations. Under current law, only parents who cite religious or health reasons can have their children exempted from the vaccination requirements.

Diaz said it may be time to "review" those mandates, in place for such illnesses as mumps and measles. But he said there was a difference between long-tested vaccines and the new COVID-19 vaccine.

"I think there's a distinction when you have something that is proven to work and doesn't have any side effects," Diaz said.

The Senate Health Policy Committee will do more than focus on COVID-19, however. Diaz, who works for Doral College, said the committee will take up a telehealth — also known as telemedicine — bill during the 2022 Session. Telehealth was relied on heavily during the pandemic as physicians tried to limit in-person visits to help curb the spread of COVID-19.

Physician lobbyists pushed lawmakers earlier this year to update the state's telehealth laws. Though there were several bills in play, none of them ultimately passed. The bills would have altered existing telehealth law to include more flexibility, such as allowing physicians to prescribe controlled substances to existing patients for treating chronic, non-malignant pain.

Diaz also said it's possible his panel could spend time on scope-of-practice items, but he was less certain about whether or not the committee would again address the so-called "eyeball wars," the name given to the long-standing battle between ophthalmologists and optometrists.

Diaz last year sponsored a bill that would have expanded health care procedures optometrists could perform, including allowing them to perform certain types of surgeries and expand the types of medications they could prescribe.

The bill, which ophthalmologists opposed, cleared Diaz's committee 6-3 before stalling.

Diaz said he did not want to take up something if its passage was far from certain. He said it could be considered if there was a "sweet spot" where "folks are comfortable" with the approach.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

https://boebert.house.gov/media/press-releases/rep-lauren-boebert-introduces-articles-impeachment-against-joe-biden-and

QuoteSeptember 24, 2021
Press Release
Today, Rep. Lauren Boebert upheld her oath to defend the Constitution of the United States by solemnly introducing articles of impeachment against Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.

Rep. Lauren Boebert stated: "Joe Biden willfully abandoned his duty as President of the United States and violated his constitutional oath to 'take care that the laws be faithfully executed' by failing to ensure the national security of the United States and its citizens. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris handed over billions of dollars of American-made weapons to the very scum of the earth that we spent $2 trillion fighting.  The Biden regime is not being held accountable. There have been no resignations, no indictments, no investigations, no congressional oversight, no outcry from the mainstream media, and no apologies—so I'm stepping up to hold Biden and Harris accountable by filing articles of impeachment for giving aid and comfort to America's enemies and colluding with the Taliban.

"And let me be clear, Vice President Harris is complicit in all of this.  She can't hide as the incompetent Border czar, and she can't hide from her moral and legal duty to remove Joe Biden via the 25th Amendment due to his clear inability to 'discharge the powers and duties of his office.' Biden is supposed to be the commander-in-chief, but he forgot the name of the Pentagon, the Department of Defense, and the Secretary of Defense. His indecision, incompetence, and mental failings cost American lives, and Kamala had a duty to step up and remove Biden from office. She failed, and now 13 American servicemembers are dead.  One way or another, Kamala needs to be impeached for her failure to step up and stop this avoidable catastrophe."

Congressman Jody Hice said: "The President of the United States willingly abandoned American citizens behind enemy lines, and his incompetence and miscalculations contributed to the deaths of 13 U.S. servicemembers. As if that were not enough, he deserted thousands of Afghan allies to be slaughtered. Furthermore, as the Taliban strengthens their hold over Afghanistan, they'll be doing it with American military equipment thanks to Joe Biden. Afghanistan is well on its way to becoming a terrorist super state that will threaten the region, the world, and the American homeland for years to come, and the responsibility falls entirely on President Biden's shoulders. He has been woefully derelict in his most basic duties as President and he has proven himself incapable of leading our nation. He must be removed from office as quickly as possible."

Background:

Joe Biden's collusion with the Afghan President to lie to the American people is a betrayal of public trust. Biden conspired with the Afghan President to "whether it is true or not...project a different picture" to "change perception."

Joe Biden colluded with the Taliban, and he gave them a list of Americans being held in Afghanistan. Biden then failed to protect the people he exposed, and he failed to evacuate hundreds of Americans.

Finally, Biden hastily ordered a drone strike that tragically killed 10 civilians, including 7 children.

Throughout the Afghanistan withdrawal, Joe Biden demonstrated that he was not capable of executing his duties as president. Instead of leading the country, he took an extended vacation at Camp David. From the beginning of his administration, Biden has hidden the truth about his cognitive ability, and he refused to take a cognitive test like President Trump did.

Kamala Harris has a duty under the 25th Amendment to recognize Biden's cognitive decline and address whether he is capable of leading our country. She violated her oath of office by allowing Biden to remain in office even when he is clearly fumbling through basic functions, and his inability to execute the duties of his office fumbled America's withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Rep. Boebert has continually worked to hold the Biden administration accountable, and in June, she joined 23 of her colleagues in introducing a censure resolution against Joe Biden for his dereliction of duty in allowing the invasion on the southern border to go unchecked.

Reps. Andy Biggs, Jeff Duncan, Ralph Norman, Louie Gohmert, and Jody Hice co-sponsored Rep. Boebert's articles of impeachment against Joe Biden, and Rep. Ralph Norman also co-sponsored Rep. Boebert's articles of impeachment against Kamala Harris.

Rep. Boebert's articles of impeachment against Joe Biden are available here, and her articles of impeachment against Kamala Harris are available here.

Articles of impeachment against Biden: https://boebert.house.gov/sites/evo-subsites/boebert.house.gov/files/evo-media-document/BOEBER_201_xml.pdf

Articles of impeachment against Harris: https://boebert.house.gov/sites/evo-subsites/boebert.house.gov/files/evo-media-document/BOEBER_201_xml.pdf
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Republican party voter base definitely getting healthier and healthier guys:

Quotehttps://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/sep/25/tucker-carlson-fox-news-anti-defamation-league
After the Anti-Defamation League renewed its call for Tucker Carlson to be fired from Fox News for voicing the racist "great replacement" theory about immigration, the primetime host had a pithy response: "Fuck them."

Carlson was speaking to the former Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly on Sirius XM. He made the comments in question on his show on Wednesday, which averages more than 3 million viewers a night.

Claiming the Biden administration was trying "to change the racial mix of the country", Carlson said: "In political terms, this policy is called 'the great replacement', the replacement of legacy Americans with more obedient people from far-away countries.

This theory and related conspiracies have been floating around far-right wing terrorist groups since the 1980s/90s. Entering mainstream republican voter consciousness and media is, uh, not good.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

I don't understand the more obedient part, that's new. I thougt the problem was that they are all criminals we should be afraid of.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I got no problem with replacing ignorant, racist lunatics with immigrants.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2021, 10:48:50 AM
I don't understand the more obedient part, that's new. I thougt the problem was that they are all criminals we should be afraid of.

It's both, sometimes alternativing sometimes at the same time, depending on the need of the narrative. The enemy is obedient to foreign masters when it's useful to cast doubt on their patriotism and bonafides as citizens. They're wild unruly criminals when it is important to justify harsh measures against them and when you want your base to feel personally threatened.

DGuller

I have a theory that may explain some of it:  bigots sometimes suffer from cognitive dissonance.

viper37

they also steal your jobs while receiving welfare.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.