News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chess

Started by Liep, December 19, 2020, 05:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Any chess players here? After watching the Queen's Gambit I tried to play some chess and now I'm loving it. I'm not very good but would like to try to play against someone from Languish. I'm https://www.chess.com/member/dondjond on chess.com.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on December 19, 2020, 05:23:24 PM
Any chess players here? After watching the Queen's Gambit I tried to play some chess and now I'm loving it. I'm not very good but would like to try to play against someone from Languish. I'm https://www.chess.com/member/dondjond on chess.com.

Repackage it as "Chess of Glory" and you'll have plenty of takers here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Haven't played in decades. I like chess as a concept and phenomenon, but I've never been really into it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

I like the idea of playing chess, but I've probably got the ability of a 10-12 year old, the last time I played.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

I was my school's champion but I haven't played in decades. I kinda grew to hate it, tbf.

Darth Wagtaros

I'd like to play. I'm not good at it.  But I never have any one who wants to play.  Let's play. Let's all play.

Battlechess 2000.

I saw a video, a guy hooked up an old computer playing battlechess against a modern Mac with a newer Chess application and played them against each other. 
PDH!

Caliga

I was in the chess club as a kid and was fairly good, but as soon as the mega-nerds all started memorizing openers and reading whole books on it, I was out.

Of course then I joined academic team, which is all about rote memorization.... :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on December 27, 2020, 05:56:40 PM

Of course then I joined academic team, which is all about rote memorization.... :blush:

A lot more variety, though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Caliga on December 27, 2020, 05:56:40 PM
I was in the chess club as a kid and was fairly good, but as soon as the mega-nerds all started memorizing openers and reading whole books on it, I was out.

Yes, I also enjoyed chess when I was a kid. But as an adult you get to the stage where you need to study books to stay competitive; I nearly started down that track but concluded it wasn't for me, the game had become too serious.

ulmont

Sent you a friend request and a challenge.

Liep

Quote from: ulmont on December 28, 2020, 11:29:15 AM

Excellent. Don't be fooled by my rating, it's mostly from winning over family. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Darth Wagtaros

I was quickly and brutally destroyed.
PDH!

Liep

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 30, 2020, 09:02:03 AM

I felt good about that. :P

Liep

Quote from: Liep on December 30, 2020, 09:45:46 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 30, 2020, 09:02:03 AM

I felt good about that. :P

Now I feel pretty silly having gotten into quite a mess against Ulmont though. Chess is hard.

ulmont

Quote from: Liep on December 28, 2020, 12:04:08 PM
Quote from: ulmont on December 28, 2020, 11:29:15 AM

Excellent. Don't be fooled by my rating, it's mostly from winning over family. :P

4 games later, Ulmont would barely have eked out one win (in addition to two losses and one draw).