News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help upgrade computer

Started by Monoriu, December 18, 2020, 06:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Ok my CPU is almost six years old, and I am thinking of a small upgrade.

Current CPU: Intel i7 5820k
Motherboard Asus X99-A 8 Ram Slot
Ram DDR4 2400 32G(8Gx4)
Graphics Card GeForce GTX 1080
C drive 512GB SSD

I am thinking of replacing the CPU with Intel i9 10900k. 

1. Can I just replace the CPU without changing the motherboard and RAM? 

2. If not, what motherboard do I need?

3. How much RAM is good these days?  Is 64G a good number?

4. My C harddrive is ancient.  I forgot the exact year, but it is like 8 or 9 years old, and is too small.  Is 2TB large enough for a C drive? 

5. My video card is relatively new.  I think it is only 18 months old or something.  I am inclined not to touch it this time.  Is this ok? 

Thanks.

Caliga

1. No, the CPU socket is different with a 10900k, so you'll need a new board.

2. I suggest you use pcpartpicker.com to help you design the build.  If you start with that CPU selected, it'll narrow down your list of possible boards to what's compatible with it.

3. 64 is probably overkill, but I would do at least 32.

4. Yes.

5. Yes, it should be compatible if it's only 18 months old.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

You will need a new motherboard. The RAM will probably work, but it would be a bit slower than the new stuff.

You will need a new power supply. Too

Try this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

You won't need more than 8 or 16 unless you are doing a bunch of virtual machines or some heavy duty calculations.  You don't need to replace the video card.
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Yes, you need a new hard drive.  2tb will be fine.  If you want to get into the weeds with it you could get a fast hard drive for your OS and a  larger, cheaper and slower one for static files.  But there is no overriding need to do that.
PDH!

Monoriu

Thanks.  Why do I need a new power supply?  My existing one has 850w.  Not enough?  How much is enough?

Darth Wagtaros

They degrade over time.  The power output was probably - and probably will be fine. But after six years of continuous use it would be a shame to risk your expensive new components on it.
PDH!

Monoriu

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 18, 2020, 10:05:07 AM
They degrade over time.  The power output was probably - and probably will be fine. But after six years of continuous use it would be a shame to risk your expensive new components on it.

I bought my power supply with my video card, so it is probably 18 months old.

Darth Wagtaros

Its fine then. Sorry, I thought it was old too.
PDH!

Caliga

It's neat how Wags and I replied at almost the same time with almost the same answer. :D
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Monoriu

Talked to the computer shop.

1. CPU - they suggested that I buy the 10900KF instead of the 10900K.  According to them, the difference is the K has its own graphics thing and the KF doesn't.  Since I have my own graphics card already, the 10900K isn't really necessary.  Is this true or BS?  (They don't have the K in stock so they are selling the KF). 

2. Motherboard - they suggest ASUS Strix Z490E Rog series.  Is this crap?

3. SSD.  First question they ask is if I want "PCIE" or "2.5 inch".  They say PCIE is better but cost more.  I say yes to this PCIE thing and they suggest a "Transcend" brand.  I said I want Samsung.  They say that's US$50 more.  Is Samsung worth it?  Should I go PCIE or 2.5 inch?

4. RAM.  They suggest Kingston 1x32GB 3200.  Is this crap?

DGuller

They're suggesting a single channel RAM?  Jesus Christ.

As for SSD, your new motherboard would have an M.2 slot, I'm sure.  Why not go with M.2 form?

Darth Wagtaros

Single channel RAM would be a bit of a waste.  Get two 16GB ramers. 

That model ASUS iwill have the NVME slot, so get that instead of a PCIE.
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 19, 2020, 01:59:17 PM
Single channel RAM would be a bit of a waste.  Get two 16GB ramers. 

That model ASUS iwill have the NVME slot, so get that instead of a PCIE.

Careful.  I think that all NVME slots are PCIe, though the reverse isn't true (some PCIe devices still use SATA).

Mono will want a board with two M.2 slots if he can afford it, both with (PCIe-)NVME.  The second is just future-proofing, though, so isn't worth spending a lot on (especially if future video cards start to crowd the PCIe channels and make the second PCIe SDD a bad idea anyway).

Agree on RAM.  One megastick is an unnecessary single point of failure.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

The main problem with one stick is that you're not taking advantage of dual channel memory access.  That may or may not be material, depending on the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgCME7Y1EO8