News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Industries you wouldn't work in

Started by Sheilbh, November 27, 2020, 04:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What industries wouldn't you take a job in? (3 choices)

Arms
Tobacco
Alcohol
Gambling
Fast Food
Fossil Fuels/Minerals
Big Agriculture
Big Tech/Social Media (Facebook/Twitter/Google etc)
Aviation/Automobiles
Other

Sheilbh

Prompted by a sports podcast I listened to recently where the host had crisis of conscience over whether he should accept money from/do events for the gambling industry. It's something I've been thinking about for a while because after he (and his guests) generally absolved him of guilt, they then did a special episode with a representative of the gambling industry and a recovering addict.

At the end of that episode he decided not to take any more money from gambling companies - and I've heard some incredibly dark stories from clever software guys who joined gambling companies and then got out very quickly.

So I was wondering what industries would you refuse to work in and why? Obviously the list is very biased and based on the sort of industries I think would raise an eyebrow with people I know (though I do have a friend who we joke is a gun runner....so it would just be a raised eyebrow).
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Only gambling.  Alcohol and tobacco is fine with me... you can enjoy both products in moderation and it's fine.  Plus Louisville would go bust if people stopped drinking since we make so much booze here. :lol:  We also still grow quite a bit of tobacco, though not nearly like what we used to in this state.

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

In no particular order:

Gambling (as you highlight)
Arms trade/manufacture
Advertising
Social Media companies.
Tobacco industry.
Any private school in whatever capacity.
Any business that purports to be artisan, ethical, bespoke or 'green'.

But not the Oil/Gas industry.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Gambling and advertising. And I have worked in advertising...

Eddie Teach

I'm not looking for work, but don't have qualms about working in any legal industry.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

I won't work for criminal organisations, the triads, political parties, or the rioters. But otherwise the highest bidder for my services wins.  Not that there are any bidders though.  In reality beggers can't be choosers, and I won't mind working for any of those industry listed in the poll.   

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on November 27, 2020, 05:42:41 PM
I won't work for criminal organisations, the triads, political parties, or the rioters. But otherwise the highest bidder for my services wins.  Not that there are any bidders though.  In reality beggers can't be choosers, and I won't mind working for any of those industry listed in the poll.

Well, you do already work for a political party and a criminal organization.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Avian prostitution.  In handjobs for birds in particular.  It's just not worth it.

"I just flew in from Chicago and boy, are wrists tired~"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Gambling, social media, advertising/lobbying, meat industry, politics

DGuller

Went with gambling, big tech, and tobacco.  All three industries rely on hooking vulnerable people and then milking them dry without regard to the wellbeing of the cows.

Grey Fox

I feel that I already work in all of them.

I'm part of a team that makes products that can & are use for all sorts of different purposes. From oil exploration in the gulf of Mexico to grain sorting going through taking pictures of the Mars landscape.

*shrug*
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

There's no option to null vote. :mellow:

I have previously worked in the mining industry.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Solmyr

No arms or fossil fuels, definitely. Wasn't a choice in the poll, but also no fur industry. Those industries need to die a horrible death.