News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best film/TV US President?

Started by celedhring, November 22, 2020, 03:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who has been the best US President in the world of movies and TV?

President James Marshall (Harrison Ford - Air Force One)
1 (4.5%)
President Josiah E. Bartlett (Martin Sheen - The West Wing)
9 (40.9%)
President Thomas J. Whitmore (Bill Pullman - Independence Day)
5 (22.7%)
President Jordan Lyman (Fredric March - Seven Days in May)
1 (4.5%)
President Andrew Sheperd (Michael Douglas - The American President)
0 (0%)
President James W. Sawyer (Jamie Foxx - White House Down)
0 (0%)
President Tom Beck (Morgan Freeman - Deep Impact)
2 (9.1%)
President Douglass Dilmann (James Earl Jones - The Man)
0 (0%)
President William H. Mitchell (impersonated by Dave Kovic) (Kevin Kline - Dave)
2 (9.1%)
President David Palmer (Dennis Haysbert - 24)
1 (4.5%)
Other (Name him/her)
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

:lol:

Designated Survivor 1st episode is a masterpiece!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on November 22, 2020, 01:01:53 PM
There's something too that.  It's been a long time since I saw Idiocracy, but I seem to recall that President Camacho listened to science and allowed the crops to be watered with, well, water, instead of whatever sports drink they were using. :hmm:

He only does it out of desperation because of his crashing ratings, and ultimately his plan leads to mass unemployment. No place in this thread for Camacho apologism.  :sleep:

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on November 23, 2020, 11:12:29 AM
There's something too that.  It's been a long time since I saw Idiocracy, but I seem to recall that President Camacho listened to science and allowed the crops to be watered with, well, water, instead of whatever sports drink they were using. :hmm:

He only does it out of desperation because of his crashing ratings, and ultimately his plan leads to mass unemployment. No place in this thread for Camacho apologism.  :sleep:

President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho is a fantastic President.  He actually cares about his constituents and can give a State of the Union address like nobody else.

https://youtu.be/sGUNPMPrxvA
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on November 23, 2020, 11:12:29 AM

He learns from his mistakes and isn't afraid to make the tough choices.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Surprised I'm one of only two who's gone for Morgan Freeman's President in Deep Impact :hmm:

(Although I have just now realised it's a different film than Armageddon and I'm not actually sure if I've watched it or if Morgan Freeman is a good President :ph34r:)
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

I saw Deep Impact when it came out, but I don't remember much about the president.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2020, 07:53:39 AM
Surprised I'm one of only two who's gone for Morgan Freeman's President in Deep Impact :hmm:

(Although I have just now realised it's a different film than Armageddon and I'm not actually sure if I've watched it or if Morgan Freeman is a good President :ph34r:)

It's the same movie as Armageddon, but for democrats. So the world gets saved by a global partnership spearheaded by the US government, instead of some cowboy yahoos.

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2020, 07:53:39 AM

:ph34r:

Of the others I've only seen Independence Day and Air Force One, both of which have very silly presidents.

Sheilbh

Another possibility is Jeff Bridges in The Contender, but the best work in that film is Gary Oldman as a villainous Republican Senator :w00t:

Oldman later said the film had been edited to make his character the villain because they're Hollywood liberals, I'd argue his performance says otherwise.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2020, 10:13:03 AM
Another possibility is Jeff Bridges in The Contender, but the best work in that film is Gary Oldman as a villainous Republican Senator :w00t:

Oldman later said the film had been edited to make his character the villain because they're Hollywood liberals, I'd argue his performance says otherwise.

Isn't Oldman always playing the villain even when he isnt?  :hmm:

The Contender was in my shortlist, but I wanted to keep it at 10 and as you say Bridges' character doesn't really feel too momentous.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on November 25, 2020, 10:14:28 AM
Isn't Oldman always playing the villain even when he isnt?  :hmm:

The Contender was in my shortlist, but I wanted to keep it at 10 and as you say Bridges' character doesn't really feel too momentous.
:lol:

In a way that's Oldman's take too. He thought he was playing the hero :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 25, 2020, 10:14:28 AMIsn't Oldman always playing the villain even when he isnt?  :hmm:

Except in the Batman films.