News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best film/TV US President?

Started by celedhring, November 22, 2020, 03:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who has been the best US President in the world of movies and TV?

President James Marshall (Harrison Ford - Air Force One)
1 (4.5%)
President Josiah E. Bartlett (Martin Sheen - The West Wing)
9 (40.9%)
President Thomas J. Whitmore (Bill Pullman - Independence Day)
5 (22.7%)
President Jordan Lyman (Fredric March - Seven Days in May)
1 (4.5%)
President Andrew Sheperd (Michael Douglas - The American President)
0 (0%)
President James W. Sawyer (Jamie Foxx - White House Down)
0 (0%)
President Tom Beck (Morgan Freeman - Deep Impact)
2 (9.1%)
President Douglass Dilmann (James Earl Jones - The Man)
0 (0%)
President William H. Mitchell (impersonated by Dave Kovic) (Kevin Kline - Dave)
2 (9.1%)
President David Palmer (Dennis Haysbert - 24)
1 (4.5%)
Other (Name him/her)
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

celedhring

And of course, to pair with the "worst movie president" poll, we need to have a "best movie president" poll. Same rules, only fictional presidents count.

Again, there are movies/shows that I haven't watched that feature US presidents that might be candidates for this list (Designated Survivor?). So feel free to add names.

The list features many world-saving presidents, but I'll go with Jed Bartlett for tricking us Europeans into thinking the USA had an exemplary democracy  for many years :P

The Brain

:hmm: President Bartlett said that the US isn't a democracy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

TV sure had a lot of Black and Jewish presidents.

Eddie Teach

I'm not sure what to make of this comment, as there are 4 blacks and 0 Jews on Cel's list.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Solmyr

Isn't Bill Pullman Jewish? Harrison Ford, Michael Douglas, and Kevin Kline also have Jewish parents (yeah, Kirk Douglas was as Jewish as they come). Only Martin Sheen and Fredric March are/were Anglo-Saxon (though half-Spanish in Sheen's case).

In any case, that's still more than in real-life US. :P

celedhring

Quote from: Solmyr on November 22, 2020, 05:32:49 AM
Isn't Bill Pullman Jewish? Harrison Ford, Michael Douglas, and Kevin Kline also have Jewish parents (yeah, Kirk Douglas was as Jewish as they come). Only Martin Sheen and Fredric March are/were Anglo-Saxon (though half-Spanish in Sheen's case).

That doesn't mean they are playing Jewish characters though. We don't quite learn much of these people's personal life in this kind of movies, but none of their names screams "jewish" to me.

The Minsky Moment

Boycotting because President Camacho was put in the worst poll not the best poll.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 22, 2020, 12:29:51 PM
Boycotting because President Camacho was put in the worst poll not the best poll.

There's something too that.  It's been a long time since I saw Idiocracy, but I seem to recall that President Camacho listened to science and allowed the crops to be watered with, well, water, instead of whatever sports drink they were using. :hmm:

That beign said the only one on the list I have any firm memory of was from Independence Day, so I voted for that President, as stupid as that movie is.  :blush:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Morgan Freeman did a very good job, But the West Wing portrayed a the kind of thoughtful leader we all hope we might have one day.

Solmyr

Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2020, 05:48:48 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on November 22, 2020, 05:32:49 AM

That doesn't mean they are playing Jewish characters though. We don't quite learn much of these people's personal life in this kind of movies, but none of their names screams "jewish" to me.

Most of the actors' names don't sound Jewish either, doesn't mean a thing. Considering the rest of the cast of Independence Day, I'd say the President is no exception. :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Solmyr on November 22, 2020, 04:22:21 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2020, 05:48:48 AM

Most of the actors' names don't sound Jewish either, doesn't mean a thing. Considering the rest of the cast of Independence Day, I'd say the President is no exception. :P
And Independence Day isn't exactly subtle on that sort of thing :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Solmyr

Back when it came out, the movie was jokingly called in Russia "How the Jews saved America". :D

Admiral Yi

viper37

Toss up between Thomas J. Whitmore and David Palmer.

A US President taking a plane and willing to sacrifice himself to save the world after disregarding his top hawkish generals, that's a real american hero, probably only seen in GI Joe before :P

David Palmer was a simple politician, but he never double-crossed anyone, unlike the others in the series. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 22, 2020, 12:29:51 PM

Hells yeah.

Quote from: Barrister on November 22, 2020, 01:01:53 PMThere's something too that.  It's been a long time since I saw Idiocracy, but I seem to recall that President Camacho listened to science and allowed the crops to be watered with, well, water, instead of whatever sports drink they were using. :hmm:

Brawndo, the thirst mutilator! It has electrolytes!

President Camacho was also able to recognize the abilities of those smarter than him and delegate, putting protagonist Joe in charge of solving the country's problems. Sure, he only gave him a week, but it's something!