News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Worst film/TV US President?

Started by celedhring, November 22, 2020, 03:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who has been the worst US President in the world of movies and TV?

President Francis J. Underwood (Kevin Spacey -House of Cards)
3 (20%)
President Alan Richmond (Gene Hackman - Absolute Power)
2 (13.3%)
President Merkin Muffley (Peter Sellers - Dr. Strangelove)
3 (20%)
President James Dale (Jack Nicholson - Mars Attacks)
2 (13.3%)
President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho (Terry Crews - Idiocracy)
0 (0%)
President Benjamin Asher (Aaron Eckhart - Olympus Has Fallen)
1 (6.7%)
President For Life Jack Cahill (Cliff Robertson - Escape from LA)
1 (6.7%)
Unnamed President (Billy Bob Thornton - Love Actually)
1 (6.7%)
President William H. Mitchell (real one) (Kevin Kline - Dave)
0 (0%)
President that Kneels Before Zod (E.G. Marshall - Superman II)
0 (0%)
Other (Name him/her)
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

celedhring

With the election aftermath drawing on while Trump works strenuosly to strengthen his case for "worst US president" lists, I thought about making a movie poll (I love movie polls!) about the issue. Who's the worst president to ever grace the screen? Only fictional presidents apply, not people playing historic presidents.

If you have another proposal, name him/her. I haven't watched Veep, which I presume could give names for this list...

My vote goes for President Merkin Muffley. There's a lots of reprehensible presidents in the list, but it's hard to argue against a weak president that let himself be led into global armaggedon. His choice of advisors, in particular, was really poor.

Admiral Yi

The off camera guy in Wag the Dog.

That's a unfair rap on Muffley.  He was a victim of circumstances.

The Brain

President Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Simpsons. Because he should have been President Rainier Wolfcastle.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

I don't know, but Hugh Grant gets my vote for worst fictional PM.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Now I'm thinking whether I should have included Charles Lindbergh (as seen in The Plot Against America). He's a historical character, but a fictional president  :hmm:

Duque de Bragança

No Donald Pleasence because he gets revenge eventually on the Duke of New York?  :hmm:

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2020, 05:26:09 AM
Now I'm thinking whether I should have included Charles Lindbergh (as seen in The Plot Against America). He's a historical character, but a fictional president  :hmm:

That actually would have been my vote.  But went for Spacy.  Jack in Mars Attacks is a very close second.

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 22, 2020, 01:00:22 PM
No Donald Pleasence because he gets revenge eventually on the Duke of New York?  :hmm:

I considered him, but he doesn't seem to be a particularly bad guy? He was heading to a peace conference when the movie starts, and that world seems that could use peace conferences.

Iormlund

Martin Sheen as Greg Stillson in The Dead Zone.

He might even win both threads.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Iormlund on November 22, 2020, 02:08:57 PM
Martin Sheen as Greg Stillson in The Dead Zone.

He might even win both threads.

Stillson was never President.  Things... happened.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

It would have been funny if Kevin Kline's 2 personas from Dave won, but Mitchell wasn't much worse than the average president and Dave wasn't much better than average.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2020, 01:34:30 PM

I considered him, but he doesn't seem to be a particularly bad guy? He was heading to a peace conference when the movie starts, and that world seems that could use peace conferences.

I like how he quickly dispatches or rather dismisses the sacrifice of people who saved him.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 23, 2020, 06:51:25 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2020, 01:34:30 PM

I like how he quickly dispatches or rather dismisses the sacrifice of people who saved him.  :P

I felt a bit guilty of chosing the president of Escape from LA to rep the franchise (what an awful film), but that one is a real asshole.

Quote from: grumbler on November 22, 2020, 06:19:38 PM
It would have been funny if Kevin Kline's 2 personas from Dave won, but Mitchell wasn't much worse than the average president and Dave wasn't much better than average.

Well, the real president is a corrupt arsehole while Dave visits poor people and attempts to pass unworkable legislation. So you're probably right.  :P

Grey Fox

Thomas Wilson. Let China save the world. Boo!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.