News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

If they had another celebrity candidate like Arnold they might have done it. Instead they had some obscure radical right wing black dude.

It was not well thought out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2021, 12:03:46 AM
If they had another celebrity candidate like Arnold they might have done it. Instead they had some obscure radical right wing black dude.

It was not well thought out.

"They" don't exist. There wasn't some cabal of people that were pulling the strings to get Newsom recalled, and came up with Elder as the person to replace him. 

There was a recall effort which there is basically on everyone in California; for a variety of reasons it got enough signatures this time to get to a vote, and the bar was so low to getting on the ballot as a replacement that 40+ candidates did. Elder is the California version of Rush Limbaugh, which even in Republican depleted California was enough to get him millions of votes, and millions of votes in a field of 40+ made him the clear front runner, and here we are.

It is a symptom of political polarization and the lack of control of anyone. It is how Trump took control of the Republican nomination process in 2016 and Huckabee and Cruz almost did in previous cycles, and how Sanders almost did the same to the democrats in 2016 and 2020 and probably would have if the democrats didn't have politicians with a lot more stature. When you want to explain why the democrats are a gerontocracy you should probably start with that the senior politicians with stature are the only ones that can hold off the barbarians at the gates.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Oh no, these horrible barbarians who are going to raise taxes on the wealthy a bit and expand social services! SHOCK! HORROR!

Certainly comparable to the other party which is full of authoritarians trying to overthrow the government, over turn elections, and intentionally prolonging a pandemic that has killed 700k people.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hMOkN5rgh4

Capitol Police officer charged with obstruction for telling his rioter buddy to delete any images and posts that could be used as evidence.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 15, 2021, 10:50:33 PM
That's just common sense.

Yes, it's common sense that the acts constituted obstruction of justice, if proven to be true.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

It's generally common sense for a criminal to destroy evidence of a crime, yes. That doesn't make it not illegal to advise someone to do that.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on October 16, 2021, 10:50:04 AM
It's generally common sense for a criminal to destroy evidence of a crime, yes. That doesn't make it not illegal to advise someone to do that.

Especially when you are advising someone to break the law using your authority as a CHP officer.  It's not quite "under cover of law," but it's close.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

I may be a bit old fashioned but I remember a time when common sense did not include committing a criminal act.

The Minsky Moment

18 USC 1512

Quote(c)Whoever corruptly—
(1)alters, destroys, mutilates, or conceals a record, document, or other object, or attempts to do so, with the intent to impair the object's integrity or availability for use in an official proceeding; or
(2)otherwise obstructs, influences, or impedes any official proceeding, or attempts to do so,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both

18 USC 1519

QuoteWhoever knowingly alters, destroys, mutilates, conceals, covers up, falsifies, or makes a false entry in any record, document, or tangible object with the intent to impede, obstruct, or influence the investigation or proper administration of any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of the United States or any case filed under title 11, or in relation to or contemplation of any such matter or case, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.

18 USC 371

QuoteIf two or more persons conspire either to commit any offense against the United States, or to defraud the United States, or any agency thereof in any manner or for any purpose, and one or more of such persons do any act to effect the object of the conspiracy, each shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. If, however, the offense, the commission of which is the object of the conspiracy, is a misdemeanor only, the punishment for such conspiracy shall not exceed the maximum punishment provided for such misdemeanor.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2021, 02:26:00 PM

I may be a bit old fashioned but I remember a time when common sense did not include committing a criminal act.

To hide your culpability for a greater crime it is.

Though I don't think taking your pictures off Facebook is a crime. Obviously he was a dumbass for putting them up in the first place.

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 18, 2021, 03:59:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2021, 02:26:00 PM

To hide your culpability for a greater crime it is.

Though I don't think taking your pictures off Facebook is a crime. Obviously he was a dumbass for putting them up in the first place.

What greater crime was the CHP officer hiding his culpability for?

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

My statement referred to the advice he gave, not the act of giving it.