And we're back!

Main Menu

Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died.

Started by Oexmelin, September 18, 2020, 06:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

At least we are going to wait until after the election, that is how these things work right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Maybe Supreme Court needs to completely lose its legitimacy to be saved.  Far too often it has gotten a pass while being a very active player in dismantling the democratic institutions.

chipwich

Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2020, 06:51:00 PM
Maybe Supreme Court needs to completely lose its legitimacy to be saved.  Far too often it has gotten a pass while being a very active player in dismantling the democratic institutions.
Such as the time they overturned [My preferred judical position]

Valmy

Quote from: chipwich on September 18, 2020, 07:00:29 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2020, 06:51:00 PM
Such as the time they overturned [My preferred judical position]

Plessy vs Ferguson?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2020, 06:49:04 PM
At least we are going to wait until after the election, that is how these things work right?
That's right! :)

:cry: :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

I am sure the party of values, of decency, of waiting for the public to decide will do the best thing here.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Wow.  I am sure of two things, and fairly sure of a third:
1.  I am sure that the republicans will ram through a nomination for someone even worse than Kavanaugh.
2.  I am fairly sure that the democratic response, when they take the Senate, will be to add more justices to the nine in place.  They can ram that through, probably, on a party-line vote.
3.  I am sure that, looking back, we will see this as the point when it irrevocably turned to shit.  The stage will be set for a purely-partisan game of "add the justices" that will have no end.

RBG, you fought the good fight, and it is tragic that your death will be what you are known for in history.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on September 18, 2020, 07:06:40 PM
I am sure the party of values, of decency, of waiting for the public to decide will do the best thing here.

Moscow Mitch has already said that he believes USSC nominations are rightfully a purely partisan undertaking, and that he would confirm a Republican nominee up until the last day before the new Senate takes office.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on September 18, 2020, 07:35:49 PM
Quote from: PDH on September 18, 2020, 07:06:40 PM

Moscow Mitch has already said that he believes USSC nominations are rightfully a purely partisan undertaking, and that he would confirm a Republican nominee up until the last day before the new Senate takes office.
I didn't say best for whom.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

How many Republicans would it take to stop Mitch from getting a confirmation?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

OttoVonBismarck

53 Republican Senators
If 3 vote no, then Pence can tie break to confirm
If 3 abstain, then I believe under the standing quorum rules, the vote would be 50 out of 97, so more than 1/2, which is enough to carry a motion

If 4 vote no, then either a Democrat has to vote to confirm, or they cannot confirm
If 4 abstain, then I believe 49/96 is enough to pass

So a lot will depend if these Senators like Grassley, Collins, Murkowski and (rumors at the moment) Romney who have indicated they would not vote in this scenario plan to vote no or plan to abstain.

OttoVonBismarck

On a high level you never really dislike having a new seat on the SCOTUS; but structurally I think this may be a rough political situation for the GOP. For one multiple incumbent, vulnerable Republicans, are probably not helped by this:

Cory Gardner
Susan Collins
Thom Tillis
Martha McSally

Are the four who are done no favors at all by this situation, and probably this alone could cost them reelection.

On the flipside, this situation likely helps the GOP Senators in Red States who are facing unexpectedly strong contests--Daines in Montana and Graham in South Carolina, because a majority of voters in those states are strongly pro-life and would be likely to be at least partially energized by this.

On some level the smart move would perhaps be for Trump to either slow roll the nomination or basically do some fake paeaen to bipartisanship and hold off on it, to keep the pressure off these guys. But there's actually big risks for Trump, he's in bad shape in all the polls and not coming out swinging with a new nominee risks alienating the one part of Trump's coalition that has the most transactional relationship to the President and who has been very loyal thus far--the pro lifers who vote based more or less entirely on the promise of Supreme Court justices.