News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Songs of the Decade

Started by Eddie Teach, September 17, 2020, 09:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I only know British Sea Power from the Disco Elysium soundtrack.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2020, 05:25:45 AM
I've just googled this and am amazed. Completely missed that they'd done that. Which is odd as I'm a pretty big fan and knew about their documentary soundtracking.
That game has gone up a few notches in my stuff I must play list, it was already vaguely on my radar.
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Never wanted your love - She & him
National Anthem - Lana del rey
Dian Fossey - Säkert
Valborg - Håkan Hellström
Forever young - Thomas Stenström
Brutal Hearts - Bedouin Soundclash
Lazarus - Bowie
Lemon Eyes - Meg Myers
Hey Now - London Grammar
Colors - The head and the heart
Song for Zula - Phosphorescent
Chateau - Angus & Julia Stone
At the purchaser's option - Rhiannon Giddens
Funeral - Phoebe Bridgers

Syt

Ok, gave it some more thought and these are some of my earworms in recent times that are from the 2010s; not going to be very mainstreamy, I fear.

Unleash the Archers - Northwest Passage (yes, it's a cover of the Stan Rogers song, but it still gives me goosebumps, and the intro can get me teary eyed :cry: )
Jinjer - Pisces
Primordial - Where Greater Men Have Fallen
Whispered - Strike!
Chthonic - Takao (Made in Taiwan)
Wind Rose - Mine Mine Mine
Gojira - Silvera
Blind Guardian - Wheel of Time (I listened to the album At The Edge of Time countless times in 2010/11; I've since cooled a bit on it, but I still love this gloriously overproduced track)
Fleshgod Apocalypse - The Violation (Always been a fan of merging classical with metal. The drumming on this is on the speedy side - here's a video of their drummer at the time playing this song: https://youtu.be/451KzibdI4w )
P.S.: MYRKUR - Ulvinde

For something less metal and more retro Synthwave:
Perturbator - Future Club
Magic Sword - In the Face of Evil (which I only now learned was in Thor - Ragnarok trailer; huh)
Daniel Deluxe - Star Eater
Dance with the Dead - Invader
Gunship - Tech Noir - features John Carpenter as narrator, and fun claymation/VCR action
Lazerhawk - Overdrive
Dynatron - Stars of the Night
Carpenter Brut - Turbo Killer  (I was surprised when the latest Wolfenstein [the 80s one] used this song in the trailer)

Slightly out of scope of this, but in heavy rotation in the years since release in 2011, Vomitrons masterfully done classic NES metal covers (I was surprised that they were only released in 2011, it feels they're older):
Contra
Castlevania
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Edit: Oops, forgot one
Aurelio Voltaire - The U.S.S. Make Shit Up (a shanty about all Star Trek eras to the 2009 movie)

Edit 2: And another one of my favorites I totall forgot:
Sólstafir - Lágnætti beautifully moody from Iceland

Edit 3: Shit, this is also from the 10s:
Planet of Zeus - Leftovers - the best Southern rock you can get in *checks notes* Greece
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Okay here's my attempt:
Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes - I Hate You
Carly Rae Jepsen - Party for One
Alicia Keys - In Common
Lizzo - Juice
MØ - Beautiful Wreck
K.Flay - Blood In The Cut
Beyoncé - Formation
Nicki Minaj - Super Bass
Cardi B - Money
The Carters - Apeshit
Ariana Grande - thank u, next
Jay-Z & Kanye West - Ni**as In Paris
Lorde - Supercut
Robyn - Dancing on My Own
FKA twigs - Two Weeks
HAIM - Want You Back
Lana Del Rey - West Coast
Saint Vincent - Happy Birthday, Johnny
M.I.A - Bad Girls
Florence & The Machine - What Kind of Man
Charli XCX - Boys
Bastille - Of the Night
Fiona Apple - Every Single Night
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Pedrito

Quote from: Tyr on September 18, 2020, 05:28:10 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2020, 05:25:45 AM
I've just googled this and am amazed. Completely missed that they'd done that. Which is odd as I'm a pretty big fan and knew about their documentary soundtracking.
That game has gone up a few notches in my stuff I must play list, it was already vaguely on my radar.
And in game there is at least one nod to other BSP songs. By the way, it's a fantastic RPG (if you like radinig *a lot* of text) with a great soundtrack.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Pedrito

In no particular order:

Tame Impala - The Less I Know The Better
FKA Twigs - Two Weeks
Vampire Weekend - Hannah Hunt
Daft Punk - Get Lucky
Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
Florence + The Machine - Only if For a Night
LCD SoundSystem - Dance Yrself Clean
Arcade Fire - Sprawl II (Mountains beyond Mountains) - but really everything from The Suburbs
Grimes - Oblivion
Priests - Texas Instruments, JJ (two excellent albums they made)
Baroness - Borderlines
MGMT - Little Dark Age
The Breeders - MetaGoth
Gorillaz - She's My Collar
Alcest - Percées de Lumière
Nick CAve and the BAd Seeds - Rings of Saturn
Viet Cong - Continental Shelf
Sufjan Stevens - Should Have Known Better
Drenge - Favourite Son
Deerhunter - Breaker
Royksopp feat. Robyn - Monument
Death Grips - I've Seen Footage
...And you Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - Awestruck
SBTRKT - Wildfire
Black Keys - Everlasting Light

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Admiral Yi

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on September 18, 2020, 03:35:00 AM
"Baby's Arms" - Kurt Vile
"Oblivion" - Grimes

Quote from: Tyr on September 18, 2020, 05:22:14 AM
Fontaines DC - Boys in the Better Land
Idles- Mother
Arctic Monkeys- Why'd you only call me when you're high?

Quote from: Threviel on September 18, 2020, 06:03:57 AM
Hey Now - London Grammar
Song for Zula - Phosphorescent
Chateau - Angus & Julia Stone

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2020, 10:55:44 AM
Lorde - Supercut
Robyn - Dancing on My Own
FKA twigs - Two Weeks
HAIM - Want You Back
Lana Del Rey - West Coast
Saint Vincent - Happy Birthday, Johnny
Florence & The Machine - What Kind of Man
Fiona Apple - Every Single Night

Quote from: Pedrito on September 18, 2020, 02:37:05 PM
Tame Impala - The Less I Know The Better
Vampire Weekend - Hannah Hunt
Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
LCD SoundSystem - Dance Yrself Clean
Viet Cong - Continental Shelf
Sufjan Stevens - Should Have Known Better
Drenge - Favourite Son
Deerhunter - Breaker
Royksopp feat. Robyn - Monument

Strong choices by the Languish crowd which makes me want to listen to the those on the lists I haven't heard yet. Although the rest of Tyr's list look very British/Japanese specific.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

frunk

Can't really pick out individual tracks, but here are some 201x artists I've been listening to:

Blonde Redhead
Brass Against
Cibo Matto
David Bowie
Kate Davis
Mitski
Nick Cave
Otoboke Beaver
Queens of the Stone Age
Run the Jewels
TMBG

Malthus

I saw Nick Cave live (in the olden days before COVID) - his stage presence is truly bizarre. He's like some insane preacher of a self-made religion, who started out as a pure fraud but is now starting to half-believe in it.  :lol:

Well worth seeing if you have the chance.

Edit: though my favorite album by him is from the 90s - "Let Love In". Pure brilliance.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on September 19, 2020, 08:58:23 AM
I saw Nick Cave live (in the olden days before COVID) - his stage presence is truly bizarre. He's like some insane preacher of a self-made religion, who started out as a pure fraud but is now starting to half-believe in it.  :lol:

Edit: though my favorite album by him is from the 90s - "Let Love In". Pure brilliance.

"Let Love In" is great, but I've preferred "Nocturama", or perhaps "Murder Ballads".

Malthus

Quote from: frunk on September 19, 2020, 10:44:29 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 19, 2020, 08:58:23 AM

"Let Love In" is great, but I've preferred "Nocturama", or perhaps "Murder Ballads".

I'm off to listen to Nocturama ... I've heard Murder Ballads, a great album, but not that one.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on September 19, 2020, 04:45:02 PM
I'm off to listen to Nocturama ... I've heard Murder Ballads, a great album, but not that one.

His latest album is pretty amazing too.  It was written after the death of his son and recording was going on when the Bad Seed's keyboardist died.  This track closes the album.

Malthus

Quote from: frunk on September 19, 2020, 05:09:20 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 19, 2020, 04:45:02 PM

His latest album is pretty amazing too.  It was written after the death of his son and recording was going on when the Bad Seed's keyboardist died.  This track closes the album.

Holy crap that is powerful. I was in tears by the end.