News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Songs of the Decade

Started by Eddie Teach, September 17, 2020, 09:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Ok, so I know we're a bunch of old fogeys and finding new music may be less important to us now... Still, I'll ask- which songs recorded since 2010 are your favorites?

My list:
Blackpink- Boombayah
The Killers- The Man
The Weeknd- Star Boy
K Flay- Blood in the Cut
Sunmi- Gashina
Macklemore- Thrift Shop
Billie Eilish- Bad Guy
Gotye- Somebody That I Used to Know
LMFAO- Party Rock Anthem
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Pumped Up Kicks - Foster the People
Get Lucky - Daft Punk
Royals - Lorde
Happy - Pharell Williams

None of which are exactly some obscure indie bands.  All major hits.  But still good songs.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

From the list I only know Thrift Shop and Bad Guy. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

The question isn't how many songs do you know from my list. Surely you've heard some songs released in the past decade? Which ones did you like?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Not a song, but one of the most oustanding albums of the last decade for me was Gojira's Magma (2016): https://open.spotify.com/album/7D7V6M05UIOTjLdqbwRX0w?si=pRQgHNDjSmy29W3XIoxv0g

I do check out new releases on Spotify regularly, but it's rare these days that something finds its way into my usual rotation. While browsing I might find an album that I like (I mostly listen to albums, not single songs, except when commuting), but I rarely check the release date. Might be 1987 or 2017.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

Waaaaay too many, so I'll list a few from looking at some lists quick:
"Wrecking Ball" - Miley Cyrus
"Dancing on My Own" - Callum Scott
"Let It Go" - Idina Menzel (Not having kids, I still enjoy both soundtracks)
"Bad Blood" - Taylor Swift (You could honestly put the whole 1989 album here. Heck, any Tay Tay from the last decade works)
"Royals" - Lorde
"The Night We Met" - Lord Huron
"Somebody That I Used to Know" - Gotye featuring Kimbra
"Chandelier" - Sia (A fan of most of her stuff)
"The Edge of Glory" - Lady Gaga (Quite a few others, too)
"Pumped up Kicks" - Foster the People
"Bad Guy" - Billie Eilish
"Jar of Hearts" - Christina Perri
"Fight Song" - Rachel Platten
"Take me to Church" - Hozier (Anything by him works, really)
"Hands to Myself" - Selena Gomez
"Try Everything" - Shakira
"Brave" - Sara Bareilles
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Some favorites:

Princess Chelsea - The Cigarette Duet
Ghost - Year Zero (I could name many Ghost songs)
Lilly Wood and the Prick - Prayer in C (Robin Schultz Radio Edit)
Mind.in.a.box - 8 Bits
The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Major
Lykke Li - I Follow Rivers
RSAC, ELLA - NBA
Billie Eilish - everything i wanted
C-Bool - Never Go Away
First Aid Kit - My Silver Lining
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I might still be too 'young' for this as 2010s starts back when I was 25 so there is a ton of music I listen to still that came out in between then and 2019. Maybe I'll be able to play when looking back at the 2020s. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Haven't really paid attention at all to music made this decade, which is probably a shame.

"Madness" - Muse
"Baby's Arms" - Kurt Vile
"Kill for Love" - Chromatics
"Get Lucky" - Daft Punk
"True love waits" - Radiohead (they started playing it live in the 2000s, though...)
"Blackstar" - David Bowie
"Montains beyond montains" - Arcade Fire
"Monster" - Kanye
"Videogames" - Lana del Rey
"Oblivion" - Grimes

I think most of those are from the early 2010s, even, damn I really need to listen to more current music.

Liep

Any song from Arcade Fire - Suburbs album
Daughter - Youth
Chromatics - Kill for Love
Ulige Numre - København
Mellemblond - Et Øje
King Krule - Easy Easy
Jon Hopkins - Open Eye Signal
The War on Drugs - Red Eyes
Lana Del Rey - Video Games
David Bowie - Lazarus
Frightened Rabbit - Backyard Skull
Michael Kiwanuka - Love & Hate
Pinegrove - Old Friends
The xx - Replica
Sampha - Blood on Me
Childish Gambino - Redbone
Tom Waits - Talking at the Same Time
Sharon Van Etten - Seventeen
Brutus - War
Jenny Lewis - Heads Gonna Roll
Billie Eilish - Bad Guy

These are some of my favorite songs from the 2010s that I still often listen to.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2020, 03:22:55 AM
I might still be too 'young' for this as 2010s starts back when I was 25 so there is a ton of music I listen to still that came out in between then and 2019. Maybe I'll be able to play when looking back at the 2020s. -_-

Yep.

Checking my yearly favourites playlist there are about 30-50 songs on each from 2010-2019 so wasn't difficult picking songs for this.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

I recognize several of those mentioned in the thread, but I'd draw a complete blank trying to come up with something myself  :Embarrass:

Syt

I used to listen to radio a lot (there was a decent indie/rock station where I lived), and up till the 90s MTV, and I used to watch a fair amount of TV, all of which helped a lot with staying current on new music, including outside my preferred genres.

Since downloadable/streamable music became common this changed a lot for me. I do check new releases on Spotify from followed artists and in metal, and the occasional link from here, or Twitter or such, or seek something out when it becomes so ubiquitous that seeps into my perception (like Despacito or Gangnam Style did), but that's about it.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Its hard to remember what is this decade and what is last... This has not been a good decade, the second half in particular. Though the first is even harder to remember....

Public Service Broadcasting- Go, Spitfire...most of their tracks really.
British Sea Power- Machineries of Joy (or others, I'm making myself choose one per band)
Fontaines DC - Boys in the Better Land
Idles- Mother
Arctic Monkeys- Why'd you only call me when you're high?
Omodaka- Plum Song
Parquet Courts- Total Football
Radiohead-  Burn the Witch
Soutaiseiriron - Koi ha hyakunen sensou
The Vaccines- Teenage Icon
Sakert- Dansa Fastan
Miles Kane- Rearrange

Incidentally if you've not run across them before I feel Public Service Broadcasting are very Languish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u4Md_aXVJE
██████
██████
██████