And we're back!

Main Menu

Hello all

Started by Rasputin, September 17, 2020, 09:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Rasputin on September 18, 2020, 05:53:28 PM
I had a $9mm judgment against the fraudfeasor

Is that like Judge Colt and his jury of six?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Rasputin

@brain.  :D  Nope, just money.
Who is John Galt?

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Rasputin on September 17, 2020, 09:29:37 PM
It's been a while and I'm just checking in. I hope everyone is doing well.

Welcome back! :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Rasputin on September 18, 2020, 05:07:07 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 17, 2020, 10:52:33 PM
Hi!

I'm teaching at a University now and have a two year old girl.

Congrats on both. What do you teach?
This is my second semester.

So far, I've taught 'English Conversation', 'Basic English Conversation', 'Practical English Conversation, 'Basic English Composition', 'Internet English', and 'TOEIC English'

TOEIC is a big professional English exam that corporations and government agencies in Korea and Japan use to evaluate employee English.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Is Internet English mainly going through the various memes? :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 22, 2020, 02:27:58 AM
Is Internet English mainly going through the various memes? :lol:

We will have a class on memes, but that's not all.

Part of it is learning English that is useful in using the web. The biggest part of it is learning how to best use the internet to study English independently. Part of it is learning about English speaking web culture and American and British culture more generally.

Normally, this would be taught in a computer lab for 3 hours. But with COVID, I'm posting 75  minute video lessons and having them go to the websites I cover, give me some screenshots of them doing X and write a short review.

Week 1 was the class introduction, which we did by Zoom.
Week 2 we went over Duolingo and Memrise.
Week 3 we went over Reddit.
Week 4 we over BBC.com, BBC News and BBC Learning English
Week 5  I've made a video for Youtube, but haven't posted it yet. In it I go over a plethora of channels that focus on learning English.

Future classes will focus on E-commerce (i.e. Amazon), Wikipedia, Podcasts, News Media, Social Media, Memes, etc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Back at my job in Hungary I think a big advantage I had over most colleagues when speaking English is that mine didn't sound straight outa' a language course. Thanks to all my time watching movies in English and hanging out on forums I had at least some grasp on current everyday expressions