News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hello all

Started by Rasputin, September 17, 2020, 09:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rasputin

It's been a while and I'm just checking in. I hope everyone is doing well.

I've got got nothing new to report. I'm still happily married (second time was a charm) and have been busy raising step kids, doing a lot of charity work, practicing law, and trying to develop my little real estate vacation rental business so I can hopefully retire in about six years.

Hurricane season remains stressful as always and the pandemic is not without its financial and health anxieties but work from home rocks. All of the courts in my area have moved to video proceedings so I almost exclusively work from home. I believe when all settles down,  this is the future and I love it.

Anyhow, carry on...there's nothing much to see here.
Who is John Galt?

PDH

But...but...but...how is the boat?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Wow!  Blast from the past!

You probably won't be surprised that not much has changed here, either.  I used to bitch about the Shrubbery, not I bitch about the Trumpeters.  :lol:

I retired from teaching for about six weeks this summer, but they pulled me back in to teach one course of my choice, because they needed to keep class sizes down.  I'm kinda liking the four-day weekends every week.

Good to hear from you. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

I thought you'd been poisoned, stabbed and drowned! How the heck are you still alive?  :ph34r:

WB LJ :cheers:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Rasputin

Quote from: PDH on September 17, 2020, 09:32:59 PM
But...but...but...how is the boat?

Which one?  :)

I have an addiction, but for which, I'd have already been retired.

I've downsized to a 23' center console that's on a lift behind my house. I cruise up and down the river but the Bachnalia is over.

Once a year I bareboat charter a 50+ footer somewhere for nine days. Last year we rented one in in raietea (French Polynesia) with an ambition of seeing all of the Society Islands. We reached bora bora on day three and loved it so much we just circled bora bora for the next five days. For any who have ever thought about going, it's the prettiest place I've ever seen, and was worth the nineteen or so hours of flight to get there.

This year we have a 51 rented in st Lucia and we will be hopping the grenadines to the south. I've been to Saint Lucia but not to the islands to the south so I'm excited.

Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2020, 09:36:03 PM
Wow!  Blast from the past!

You probably won't be surprised that not much has changed here, either.  I used to bitch about the Shrubbery, not I bitch about the Trumpeters.  :lol:

I retired from teaching for about six weeks this summer, but they pulled me back in to teach one course of my choice, because they needed to keep class sizes down.  I'm kinda liking the four-day weekends every week.

Good to hear from you.

What do they have you teaching?

I've missed your keen insight into the only sport that matters, college football, but alas it's already painful to be a nole and we are only one week into the season.
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 17, 2020, 09:41:57 PM
I thought you'd been poisoned, stabbed and drowned! How the heck are you still alive?  :ph34r:

WB LJ :cheers:

I don't worry about the death threats; they are like barking dogs. It's the quiet ones that just stare at me that cause me to exercise my concealed carry rights.  :P
Who is John Galt?

jimmy olsen

Hi!

I'm teaching at a University now and have a two year old girl.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Hi! I hang out on Languish these days.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

How the lowly have fallen.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Rasputin

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 17, 2020, 10:52:33 PM
Hi!

I'm teaching at a University now and have a two year old girl.

Congrats on both. What do you teach?
Who is John Galt?

Barrister

Hey Ras - about a year ago you PMed me about a Canadian law question.  You wanted me to call you, but I couldn't because out-of-country calls are blocked on our government phones. :rolleyes:  I PMed you back asking you to call me, but I never heard any more about it.

What was that all about?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Rasputin

Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2020, 10:24:09 AM
Hey Ras - about a year ago you PMed me about a Canadian law question.  You wanted me to call you, but I couldn't because out-of-country calls are blocked on our government phones. :rolleyes:  I PMed you back asking you to call me, but I never heard any more about it.

What was that all about?

Someone defrauded one of my clients. I had a $9mm judgment against the fraudfeasor who ran some of the money through the a Royal Bank of Canada do I was trying to figure out who to hire to open a proceeding and follow it. It turned out to be a dead end. We only collected about 2.4 on the 9 and the fraudreasor is going to be in federal prison because of the other 12 victims of his crimes who got nothing.
Who is John Galt?