Academics Are Really, Really Worried About Their Freedom

Started by viper37, September 01, 2020, 12:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Hey!  I may be ugly, and wait... what were talking about?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 18, 2020, 09:08:08 AM
Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2020, 09:31:51 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 17, 2020, 05:55:57 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2020, 11:12:03 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 17, 2020, 08:55:11 AM
Oex's response is much better.  University professors should not be condescending pricks. 
they should also have the capacity to transmit information to their students in a way they can comprehend at their level.  they should also have a genuine interest in teaching students at the level they are, not only doing research with a few assistant.

But that does not always happen either.

It's obvious they don't teach grammar or punctuation too.

:lol:

When you can converse fluently in a second language you might be able to comment on the linguistic shortcomings of another person speaking a second language.  But after reaching that level of sophistication you will likely have realized it would not be appropriate to be so childish. 

In the meantime, keep up the stereotype of the Ugly American.

I know you have trouble with the English language, but that doesn't excuse the fact that you are being an asshole and trying to gig me for something I am not doing.  11B4V does not have English as a second language - it is his first language.  That's why he knew that he was making both a grammar and a punctuation error in his post, which made it deliberately ironic and funny, which induced me to reward his little joke with a :lol:

Maybe if you can take that stick out of your ass you will be better at reading comprehension.  It would certainly make you a less unpleasant poster.

You will note (if you actually looked for evidence) that I do not gig posters for second-language errors and, to the contrary, argue against other posters when they do that.  But seeing that evidence would also require reading comprehension.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 18, 2020, 09:08:08 AM
Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2020, 09:31:51 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 17, 2020, 05:55:57 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2020, 11:12:03 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 17, 2020, 08:55:11 AM
Oex's response is much better.  University professors should not be condescending pricks. 
they should also have the capacity to transmit information to their students in a way they can comprehend at their level.  they should also have a genuine interest in teaching students at the level they are, not only doing research with a few assistant.

But that does not always happen either.

It's obvious they don't teach grammar or punctuation too.

:lol:

When you can converse fluently in a second language you might be able to comment on the linguistic shortcomings of another person speaking a second language.  But after reaching that level of sophistication you will likely have realized it would not be appropriate to be so childish. 

In the meantime, keep up the stereotype of the Ugly American.

You're way to defensive on this. You must be French.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".