News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Backhoe loaders and other stuff

Started by Threviel, August 10, 2020, 03:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

CC, I am a somewhat experienced forest worker with chain saw and access to forest tractors. Trees I can handle.

I won't really be working in steep slopes either, the ground near the stream is nicely terraced and the stream itself very small. Just big enough to never go dry.

Thank you for caring.

crazy canuck

It's not a toy and its not a tractor.  People my grandfather and father knew were seriously injured using those things in unsafe ways.  Hence my father's caution.

viper37

Quote from: Threviel on August 11, 2020, 04:29:23 PM
CC, I am a somewhat experienced forest worker with chain saw and access to forest tractors. Trees I can handle.

I won't really be working in steep slopes either, the ground near the stream is nicely terraced and the stream itself very small. Just big enough to never go dry.

Thank you for caring.

learn the basic safety before practice.  it's a 3-4h class.  Then practice on open field, clear level.  Get the hang of the controls, 'til you develop the muscle memory.  Then get to more complicated stuff, like loading a trailer, moving medium rocks, etc.

Once you've mastered the basics, you can move on to stuff like that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrEXfIzKrYA
:P
as for the operation, part of it handles like a tractor, when you go forward.  The moment you turn your seat around, it's an excavator and it operates differently. Don't even try to use the excavator without the stabilizers.  Also make sure there is no one else near you at all time, especially if you have kids, they tend to be curious about machines like these.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

I notice that it doesn't have any outriggers.  You should pay a lot of attention to the soil the wheels sit on, in that case.  I'm not sure you could operate it far enough from centerline to pose a tipping risk, but that's something that would worry me if I were to try to operate it.

Edit:  I take that back.  There look to be outriggers on the back (just not like the outriggers I have seen - they are black pads).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on August 11, 2020, 06:30:32 PM
I notice that it doesn't have any outriggers.  You should pay a lot of attention to the soil the wheels sit on, in that case.  I'm not sure you could operate it far enough from centerline to pose a tipping risk, but that's something that would worry me if I were to try to operate it.

It's a good point, I assumed that was part of the "to do" list.  A good example of getting a experienced eye to give it a look over and the provide some advice on how to operate it.

Syt

Just make sure you know where any power lines, water pipes etc. run before you start digging. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

It has outriggers and they have no problem what so ever lifting the machine. It is more or less feature complete, on the todo list is fixing the brakes, fixing the turning off button and fixing so the gas pedal goes back. in a longer perspective fixing up the electronics and the hydraulics. the machine has been standing still outside for a few years as I understand it.

Also, I have been around these machines, as the guy in the hole doing guy in the hole stuff. I plan on following vipers advice with practicing before doing stupid stuff.

Here's another picture (not a fake as far as I know) of the same kind of machine:

Threviel

mispost

Maximus

Quote from: viper37 on August 11, 2020, 05:15:44 PM
Don't even try to use the excavator without the stabilizers.
Well you won't try that twice.

Threviel

Another thing is that these machines are probably more dangerous to the people around them than the guy inside them. I will not be using this machine in a professional manner, at most my father in law and brother in law will be around and we are quite used to working with dangerous machines together.

Sophie Scholl

My dad spent decades working road construction including quite a bit of time on such machines. I can run something by him if you have any specific questions. He still enjoys watching Youtube videos of equipment at work even though he's been retired for years now. The Roku I got my parents remains probably the best gift I ever got them.  :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Threviel

My first project is approaching. I've been working this winter to clear a bit of wood near my house intending for it to become an orchard and a playground for the kids.

I've felled the trees and transported them away, right now I'm in the process of clearing away all the branches lying around to get at the earth.

We even had a bit of winter

The ground is still frozen so last Sunday I took the opportunity to drive the machine out. When the ground thaws it will be wet and difficult to drive it to the workplace, but the old forest itself should be quite manageable. There's still a large pile of branches to carry away and after that I well set a fire and burn away all the small wooden bits lying around.

Then it's time to learn how to dig.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.