US 2020 Presidential Election prediction thread

Started by Zoupa, July 12, 2020, 10:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2020, 10:09:13 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 02, 2020, 08:12:59 PM
Without a national ID system, it is very difficult to catch voter fraud. 

I mean we have many ID systems and we don't run elections on a national level. Why must it be national?

Because people move around.  Different systems increase chances of errors, duplication, fraud, etc. 

DGuller

I mean we have many ID systems and we don't run elections on a national level. Why must it be national?
Why shouldn't it be?  What problem are we solving by having such a basic thing as ID be such a haphazardly decentralized endeavor?  Would anyone in 2020 come up with such a system if they had to start from clean sheet?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2020, 11:15:17 PM
Why shouldn't it be?  What problem are we solving by having such a basic thing as ID be such a haphazardly decentralized endeavor?  Would anyone in 2020 come up with such a system if they had to start from clean sheet?

I mean we do have one, the Social Security Number despite it being really horrible for that purpose since it was not designed to be a national ID...even though that is what it is used for.

In the 18th century each state already had its way of deciding things from its time as a colony so we didn't feel the need to centralize something like elections. And like so many things whatever was decided in the 18th century just kind of stayed that way.

And, of course, now we are in an era where the government can track your every move and read your email and listen to your phone calls but making a national ID card would be tyranny. Paranoia of the central government and what it is doing abounds. This probably would have been much easier to do in the 1950s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2020, 11:15:17 PM

Not sure why anyone would willingly create another layer of identification bureaucracy.

Valmy

Looking at all the new polling this month it looks like nothing really substantially changed after the conventions. I think everybody made up their minds long ago and we could have run this election in April and saved billions.

We'll see if this trend continues after the "debate" later this month.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2020, 12:14:54 PM
Looking at all the new polling this month it looks like nothing really substantially changed after the conventions. I think everybody made up their minds long ago and we could have run this election in April and saved billions.

"Debate" in scare quotes is right. 😄

I mean, the Republicans officially decided not to have a platform. There is literally nothing to debate, even if Trump was temperamentally and intellectually capable of debating.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Trump has already stated he's ignoring his advisors and won't prep for the debates in a traditional manner. It's gonna be hilarious, but I'm not sure who it's going to convince. Biden literally just has to sound like he can string a sentence together.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2020, 12:14:54 PM

Biden +7.5%
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/national/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

FunkMonk

According to 538's forecast, the probability of a Biden blowout victory is greater than a Trump win.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 10, 2020, 09:45:07 PM
According to 538's forecast, the probability of a Biden blowout victory is greater than a Trump win.

So it is.

Odds of Trump win - 25%
Odds of Biden Landslide (winning popular vote by 10% or more) - 30%
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

celedhring

Unless Biden collapses in the debates, 7-8% national poll advantage seems really hard to claw back from, even if Trump has an EC advantage.

Still sweating it after 2016, though...