News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you wear a mask in public?

Started by merithyn, July 08, 2020, 08:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you wear a mask when you leave your house?

US - No, what's the point?
US - Yes, but only inside places or when there are crowds
US - Yes, always
ROTW - No, what's the point?
ROTW - Yes, but only inside places or when there are crowds
ROTW - Yes, always
Jaron don't need no mask

Tonitrus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 08, 2020, 02:10:45 PM
Brain's mask covers the wrong parts.

They don't make a mask for the soul.  :(

merithyn

I'm heartened to see that all of our US folks are wearing masks. Goes to show that Languishites are the ones to follow. ^_^

;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Mandatory in my county as of 10 minutes from now. But I voted the second option. I had been picking and choosing where I wore it, but now you gotta wear one in every retail establishment.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on July 08, 2020, 08:28:37 AM
Given the constant discussion of how important it is to wear a mask - and the regular discourse on social media arguing its efficacy - I wondered where you all stand on this.
when it is mandatory for me to do so, and where I am likely to encounter a crowd and not be able to keep my distances.  It's not like the virus jumps 20' to someone's else's arm before moving to their mouth.  And I avoid retail stores even more than I used to before.

And I'm not judging anyone for wearing a mask or not.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2020, 09:41:10 AM
Do shops and such where you live refuse service to unmasked people?  I have yet to see an unmasked person turned away from a place that has a sign requiring masking.
no, about 1 in 4 are wearing a mask in public, it seems to be increasing.But there ain't any cases over here.  And since during summer we're pretty much a tourist destination with every spot closed, there ain't much foreigners.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2020, 11:31:54 AM
Yes, always, unless I'm in a car.  Simpler to just always have it on than to fiddle with it constantly.
you're not supposed to remove it and put it back in place without first cleaning it anyway.  I'm bad at following these rules.  <sigh>

Zoupa

Quote from: PDH on July 08, 2020, 11:55:53 AM
I wear a mask outside, at work, and with other people because I am not a whiny bitch.

:hug:

Zoupa

Quote from: Liep on July 08, 2020, 01:54:05 PM
No, it's not required anywhere and the government has said it's not needed and that it probably won't help.

lolwut?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on July 08, 2020, 06:26:41 PM
No, it's not required anywhere and the government has said it's not needed and that it probably won't help.

lolwut?
Same here. There's a weird UK and Nordics thing where we're still getting messages like that - and from the scientific bits of government - that they are really not much use. I don't get it and think they need to be coming out far more strongly for masks like the rest of the world.

Here they're only required if you're on public transport - but it's not always enforced.

I wear a mask if I'm in an enclosed place where I can't socially distance - shops, public transport, cafes etc. I don't wear anything if I'm just walking on the streets.
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

I wear if going to a public establishment as it is a mandate in city. But if just out walking my dog, no. I do have one on hand with me at all times.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Threviel

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 08, 2020, 08:16:54 PM

lolwut?
Same here. There's a weird UK and Nordics thing where we're still getting messages like that - and from the scientific bits of government - that they are really not much use. I don't get it and think they need to be coming out far more strongly for masks like the rest of the world.

Here they're only required if you're on public transport - but it's not always enforced.

I wear a mask if I'm in an enclosed place where I can't socially distance - shops, public transport, cafes etc. I don't wear anything if I'm just walking on the streets.

Yes, when it comes to pandemics there is really no point in listening to scientists when you can enact populist stuff instead. For less densely populated places like Sweden and other Nordic countries the masks might not make a difference, I don't know the particulars of it, but I do trust our scientists over our politicians when it comes to, you know, science.

Josquius

The weird thing with Sweden is its living population density isn't that low. It may even be bigger than the UK for most of the population. In even small towns blocks of flats are common.
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

Quote from: Threviel on July 09, 2020, 01:35:03 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 08, 2020, 08:16:54 PM

lolwut?

Yes, when it comes to pandemics there is really no point in listening to scientists when you can enact populist stuff instead. For less densely populated places like Sweden and other Nordic countries the masks might not make a difference, I don't know the particulars of it, but I do trust our scientists over our politicians when it comes to, you know, science.

I guess no Swede is ever in a building with anyone else? :bleeding:

jimmy olsen

If I'm going inside a building or transportation I always wear one. If I'm just taking my daughter to the park, then no.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Threviel

Quote from: Zoupa on July 09, 2020, 01:57:23 AM

I guess no Swede is ever in a building with anyone else? :bleeding:

As I said, I don't know the particulars. I just trust the guys spending their lives stopping diseases rather than politicians trying to not look bad or journalists trying to create controversy.