News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Ennio Morricone

Started by Syt, July 06, 2020, 02:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

RIP

I saw him in concert a few years ago. It was pretty cool.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

:(

Saw him in a concert+lecture when I was in the States. What a master. Once Upon a Time in the West remains one of my favorite movies of all time, in no small part because of the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWtqkz6SH1Y

Sheilbh

RIP :(

Also - the state of this Washington Post tweet:

:bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Duque de Bragança

Long run indeed but still... :(
RIP

Monoriu

One of my favourite composers.  RIP.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

From Donald Fagen's 1989 interview of Morricone:

:D
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

:lmfao:

Sometimes a cool soundtrack is just a cool soundtrack.

To think that he had to wait until 2015 for his first "proper" Oscar (not a honorary one, that one he got in 2007), thanks to Tarantino badgering to get him to write the "The Hateful Eight" score.

The Minsky Moment

Death rides a horse today. Morricone has reached the last stop on the night train and all that is left is the great silence. On this news, one feels as though it were a death of a friend. I am struck with the crazy desire to listen to all of his work. Before the revolution that Morricone wrought, film scores were something done by the mercenary composer for a few dollars more  - with the results being the good, the bad, and the ugly.  He had his famous partner - face to face with Sergio Leone, creating great art in a menage italian style.  There was also his most beautiful wife, the invisible woman (or is it the unknown woman?) behind his great success. Morricone's matchless talent produced thrilling scores such that future generations will marvel that such a man existed once upon a time in the west. Morricone worked to the end: no quiet place in the country for him.  He has earned his days of heaven.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 06, 2020, 12:44:10 PM
I am struck with the crazy desire to listen to all of his work.

I've been doing that for the last couple of hours.  :cool:
I think the Dollars trilogy & Once upon a time in the west will take up next weekend.

celedhring

He's in that top "people that haven't watched his films have heard his music" echelon of film music composers.

My dad had the "for a fistful of dollars" OST which he played incessantly when I was a kid. I tried to learn to whistle the tune but alas, I've never been able to learn how to whistle properly.