What should President Biden do about Trump and his alleged crimes?

Started by Barrister, June 29, 2020, 01:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should President Biden do about Trump and his alleged crimes?

Nothing.  The US doesn't prosecute it's former Presidents
7 (19.4%)
Truth and reconciliation hearings, no prosecutions
2 (5.6%)
Independent special counsel investigation
15 (41.7%)
DOJ-led investigation and prosecution
9 (25%)
Sic Jaron on Trump (aka something else)
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

DGuller

Biden should let the public outcry drive the pressure to prosecute.  I'm not sure that Republicans will stick with Trump once he's of no use to them, supporting his prosecution might be a good way for them to accept his policies while rejecting him personally.  Even despicable people want to feel good about themselves.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2020, 03:06:10 PM
Biden should let the public outcry drive the pressure to prosecute.  I'm not sure that Republicans will stick with Trump once he's of no use to them, supporting his prosecution might be a good way for them to accept his policies while rejecting him personally.  Even despicable people want to feel good about themselves.

The only thing more corrupt than that approach is to hold rallies in which Biden starts a crowd to chant "lock him up" and then carries out on that promise.

In a system governed by the Rule of Law, if a law is alleged to have been broken then it is investigated by an independent prosecutorial branch.  The problem is, after Trump, reestablishing such a thing in the US.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2020, 03:12:17 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2020, 03:06:10 PM

The only thing more corrupt than that approach is to hold rallies in which Biden starts a crowd to chant "lock him up" and then carries out on that promise.

In a system governed by the Rule of Law, if a law is alleged to have been broken then it is investigated by an independent prosecutorial branch.  The problem is, after Trump, reestablishing such a thing in the US.
If you want to go by what the law says, then there is really no discussion here.  We have a discussion here because we realize that political consequences of treating Trump like a typical citizen can be explosive.

crazy canuck

You are right, and it is interesting that you proposed a corrupt solution.

Eddie Teach

Biden should stay out of it. Let the investigative bodies that exist do their thing, don't drive new ones on your own.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: PDH on June 29, 2020, 01:45:33 PM
Biden should seal himself inside a Space Marine Dreadnought and wreak a terrible vengeance upon Trump and the Trump towers til they are destroyed and their monuments are nothing but ashes.

Tim's sock puppet.  :(

PDH

Tim has let us down far too much recently.  He needed to post a pic of Biden with a chainsaw terrorizing the Trump White House.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Biden should seal himself inside a Space Marine Dreadnought and wreak a terrible vengeance upon Trump and the Trump towers til they are destroyed and their monuments are nothing but ashes.

Yes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on June 30, 2020, 11:34:37 AM

Yes.

You shouldn't be so quick to agree.  An option involving nuclear power or lesbian sex hasn't been presented yet.

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 30, 2020, 01:53:45 PM

Yes.

You shouldn't be so quick to agree.  An option involving nuclear power or lesbian sex hasn't been presented yet.

Until they can be safely combined I go with what we know works.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on June 30, 2020, 02:11:31 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 30, 2020, 01:53:45 PM

Yes.

Until they can be safely combined I go with what we know works.

It always seems to be 50 years away.  :(

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

The God-Emperor stands in his Golden Shower, not sentient but maybe not fully dead either. The light of the Astronomicant guides us through these dark times.

PDH

-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM