JK Rowling reveals she is survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault

Started by garbon, June 11, 2020, 07:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Respecting other people and respecting their right to drink the Kool-Aid should always be enough. Making drinking the Kool-Aid a requirement is destructive. It is also, since there are so many mutually exclusive Kool-Aids, a recipe for perpetual strife.

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2020, 07:39:13 AM
Wasn't this latest round started by her objecting to an online article writing about "people who menstruate" as writing "women" instead would be offensive because not every self-declared women have the organs to menstruate with?

:)

By her standards, I'm not a woman even though I've birthed five children.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 11, 2020, 10:53:55 AM
Respecting other people and respecting their right to drink the Kool-Aid should always be enough. Making drinking the Kool-Aid a requirement is destructive. It is also, since there are so many mutually exclusive Kool-Aids, a recipe for perpetual strife.

I'm not sure how she was forced to share her thoughts on twitter.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on June 11, 2020, 11:00:02 AM

My impression is that she shared the "wrong" thoughts. Demanding silence from people who disagree seems to me to be very destructive.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 11, 2020, 11:02:15 AM

My impression is that she shared the "wrong" thoughts. Demanding silence from people who disagree seems to me to be very destructive.

I think the world would be better off if fewer people went on Twitter rants.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on June 11, 2020, 11:03:17 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 11, 2020, 11:02:15 AM

I think the world would be better off if fewer people went on Twitter rants.

Possibly. You can start by shutting up your president.

DGuller

So it's okay to have different thoughts, as long as you don't share them?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on June 11, 2020, 11:47:48 AM

On twitter? Yes. One should never share or discuss thoughts on twitter. It is a platform that is terrible at facilitating nuanced discussions and is excellent at facilitating harrasment campaigns and tribal echo chambers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2020, 11:49:20 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 11, 2020, 11:47:48 AM

On twitter? Yes. One should never share or discuss thoughts on twitter. It is a platform that is terrible at facilitating nuanced discussions and is excellent at facilitating harrasment campaigns and tribal echo chambers.

:yes:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Twitter seems like just going and shouting your thoughts on the street, except they get recorded for people to hold against you years later.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

The Brain

I know it's a tabloid, but can they stop using "JK"? "Wedding day... JK", tell us what it really was instead.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████