UK extends visa rights to 3 million Hong Kongers

Started by Sheilbh, May 29, 2020, 12:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 05, 2020, 03:55:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2020, 03:53:14 PM
Shelf: That 3 million seems very classist to me.  As if they are "our kind of people" (like the knighted Chinese lady who gave the speech way back) but we sure don't want everyone.  Kind of weiird.
I don't get the class angle. The 3 million is the people who are already eligible for a British passport (just not a full British passport). They're the people who were there at handover.

So everyone who resided in HK in 97 is eligible?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2020, 03:55:50 PM
The umbrellas are also a symbol of the Pan Democratic movement so it works in two different ways.

Pretty sure Mono knew that part...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

I don't get the class angle. The 3 million is the people who are already eligible for a British passport (just not a full British passport). They're the people who were there at handover.

Oh is that right?  Then you're good.  Carry on.

To be clear, the colonial subjects and their descendents, right?

Monoriu

Quote from: Monoriu on June 05, 2020, 03:50:19 PM
The umbrellas look odd to me.  Presumably one uses an umbrella to slow down the fall and land safely, right?  The landscape is clearly of Hong Kong, not Britain.  So it implies that Britain is giving Hong Kongers tools to land...in Hong Kong?  I just don't get it.

They're flying out of HK like Mary Poppins.

Shelf: That 3 million seems very classist to me.  As if they are "our kind of people" (like the knighted Chinese lady who gave the speech way back) but we sure don't want everyone.  Kind of weiird.

Oh ok.  First time I have heard of Mary Poppins. 

I think if someone decides to give you a gift, you sound ungrateful if you say the gift is not large enough? 

Monoriu

There should be more to it.  HK had a population of 6 million or so at the handover. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2020, 03:56:29 PM
So everyone who resided in HK in 97 is eligible?
No I think it's the people who registered pre-handover (and any people who would become stateless on handover which I think largely was an issue for migrant workers). So they already have a form of British nationality and can get a passport. They are eligible.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2020, 03:56:51 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2020, 03:55:50 PM
The umbrellas are also a symbol of the Pan Democratic movement so it works in two different ways.

Pretty sure Mono knew that part...

I know just clarifying why I thought it was a nice touch.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2020, 03:59:30 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 05, 2020, 03:57:37 PM
Oh ok.  First time I have heard of Mary Poppins. 

:blink:

Why is that surprising?  It is an old movie, I think?  I haven't seen it. 

Valmy

Well the sequel just came out a few years ago :lol:

But it is also a very British book series. So the intended audience, British readers, would understand.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2020, 03:57:10 PM

Oh is that right?  Then you're good.  Carry on.

To be clear, the colonial subjects and their descendents, right?
Nope. As I say I think family members will be the next big thing. Registration stopped on handover because Hong Kong became part of China and you don't inherit it.

It is worth saying there is a general campaign to get rid of the multiple types of British citizen because that is very much a colonial legacy that increasingly doesn't make sense.
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

I was very surprised that Canada didn't seem to have multiple layers of passports and citizenship like the UK.  When I landed in Canada I thought I would be on a path to get some sort of "second class Canadian citizenship" like the BNOs.  I was surprised they didn't have that and I would get the real deal. 

Monoriu

Oh and, like I have said before, do you really want to go through with this? 

QuoteChina warns 'there WILL be consequences' if Boris allows Hong Kong citizens to relocate
CHINA's ambassador to the UK has threatened that there will "for sure" be serious "consequences" for the Government if Boris Johnson goes ahead with his plan to intervene in the Hong Kong crisis.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1291891/China-news-warning-Boris-Johnson-Hong-Kong-residence-security-law-Chen-Wen

Admiral Yi

There goes your idea for unhappy people to just leave mono.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2020, 04:22:50 PM
There goes your idea for unhappy people to just leave mono.

I still think that way.  Much better for unhappy people to leave.  That's the long-term fix to HK's problem.  There are lots of rich, skilled, obedient Mainlanders who are happy to come to HK, so we aren't losing much.