UK extends visa rights to 3 million Hong Kongers

Started by Sheilbh, May 29, 2020, 12:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Now that I think about it, why not give the rioters green cards?  I mean, if you like them, you can have them.  They can have their sacred democracy and the associated police reform.  Hong Kong gets rid of a bunch of criminals for good, and saves on prison costs.  It is a win for everybody. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2020, 09:41:49 PM
Now that I think about it, why not give the rioters green cards?  I mean, if you like them, you can have them.  They can have their sacred democracy and the associated police reform.  Hong Kong gets rid of a bunch of criminals for good, and saves on prison costs.  It is a win for everybody. 

It is indeed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zoupa

Hopefully Canada accepts a bunch before others get to them :canuck:  :showoff:

Monoriu

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 30, 2020, 10:24:48 PM
Nah, it's a loss for PRC.  :showoff:

PRC gains stability.  After Tiananmen, most of the student leaders were smuggled to the west.  I say the party deliberately let them go.  A few of them actually tried to go back to turn themselves in, and they were turned back.  30 years on, the evidence is that this was the right call.  They couldn't do anything outside China.  Mainland China removed some of the seeds of instability, and didn't have to face endless calls to release them from prison. 

So I say, just repeat this.  Let the rioters go.  It doesn't take a lot of locals to run the Hong Kong government and the finance business.  Most workers could easily be imported from the Mainland anyway. 

11B4V

UK is OK in my book.  They could form a Hong Kong Regiment too.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Zanza

Quote from: Monoriu on May 31, 2020, 01:16:40 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 30, 2020, 10:24:48 PM
Nah, it's a loss for PRC.  :showoff:

PRC gains stability.  After Tiananmen, most of the student leaders were smuggled to the west.  I say the party deliberately let them go.  A few of them actually tried to go back to turn themselves in, and they were turned back.  30 years on, the evidence is that this was the right call.  They couldn't do anything outside China.  Mainland China removed some of the seeds of instability, and didn't have to face endless calls to release them from prison. 

So I say, just repeat this.  Let the rioters go.  It doesn't take a lot of locals to run the Hong Kong government and the finance business.  Most workers could easily be imported from the Mainland anyway.
Maybe back in 1989 they still cared for "endless calls for release", but these days they can easily ignore international condemnation for their ethnic cleansing of the Uighurs, their organ harvesting of Falun Gong and other political prisoners, lying about the true extent of Covid-19 in their country and when they knew about it etc. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on May 31, 2020, 02:53:24 AM
Maybe back in 1989 they still cared for "endless calls for release", but these days they can easily ignore international condemnation for their ethnic cleansing of the Uighurs, their organ harvesting of Falun Gong and other political prisoners, lying about the true extent of Covid-19 in their country and when they knew about it etc.
But, of course, they don't face much international condemnation for those things. In 1989 they were maybe sufficiently disconnected from the global economy, now they can put pressure on countries or countries think about the economics before taking a position on things like the million Uighurs in "re-education" camps.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on May 30, 2020, 10:45:05 PM
Hopefully Canada accepts a bunch before others get to them :canuck:  :showoff:

We have already pre accepted.  There are a fair number of vacant homes in Vancouver which are essentially insurance policies for when their owners want to return.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 31, 2020, 08:12:32 AM
Quote from: Zanza on May 31, 2020, 02:53:24 AM
But, of course, they don't face much international condemnation for those things. In 1989 they were maybe sufficiently disconnected from the global economy, now they can put pressure on countries or countries think about the economics before taking a position on things like the million Uighurs in "re-education" camps.

what is it about capitalism and selling rope?

Monoriu

QuoteWASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States is considering the option of welcoming people from Hong Kong in response to China's push to impose national security legislation in the former British colony, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in remarks released on Monday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hongkong-protests-usa-pompeo/pompeo-says-u-s-considering-welcoming-hong-kong-people-entrepreneurs-idUSKBN23837A

This is not a bad thing  :)

Valmy

Wow we finally found a cause noble enough that the Trump administration will be nice to foreigners: pissing off the Chinese.

I wonder if China will extend the same offer to our protestors :P

FunkMonk

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2020, 07:31:31 PM
QuoteIt is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.   ,,
~ Chairman Sheng-ji Yang,
"Ethics for Tomorrow

:D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2020, 06:41:09 PM
Wow we finally found a cause noble enough that the Trump administration will be nice to foreigners: pissing off the Chinese.

I wonder if China will extend the same offer to our protestors :P

I think Mainland China has one of the world's most difficult naturalisation processes.  It is even more difficult than Japan's, which is notoriously strict. 

I don't think it is deliberate on Beijing's part.  They just haven't thought through the process, because historically almost nobody wants to become Chinese through naturalisation.  It is the Chinese who want to become non-Chinese.  The assumption is, nobody wants Chinese citizenship.  So who cares.