UK extends visa rights to 3 million Hong Kongers

Started by Sheilbh, May 29, 2020, 12:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I stand by to be drained by an 18 y/o Mainland chick.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 29, 2020, 03:54:59 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 29, 2020, 03:01:44 PM
I don't understand the idea of brain drain.  That might work in the 90s but not now.  Hong Kongers had, in the Greater China context, unique skills like finance, trading etc back then.  But that's no longer true.  Some of the western investment banks in Hong Kong don't hire any HKers anymore.  Their Chinese employees all speak Mandarin and come from the Mainland.  They will get better people picking the best from a 1.4 billion pool than a 7 million pool.  Their Mainland employers are better educated, more connected, have a better understanding of Mainland culture, etc.  Hong Kongers don't have bargaining power any more without protectionist measures from the HK government, and that's one of the fundamental reasons of the unhappiness.  Hong Kongers who leave for the West can easily be replaced by better Mainland workers, and there is a long list of people who want to come.

We're happy to drain mainland brains as well.

Well first of all, losing a few million people isn't a big deal to a country with 1.4 billion people.  Secondly, a lot of western educated Mainlanders with western citizenship choose to live and work on the Mainland, simply because the financial rewards are better.  People won't be drained so easily just because the west give them citizenship.  In fact I saw a lot of westerners living on the Mainland as well, so I am not sure who is draining who :contract:

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on May 29, 2020, 04:07:55 PM
I don't understand the idea of brain drain.  That might work in the 90s but not now.  Hong Kongers had, in the Greater China context, unique skills like finance, trading etc back then.  But that's no longer true.  Some of the western investment banks in Hong Kong don't hire any HKers anymore.  Their Chinese employees all speak Mandarin and come from the Mainland.  They will get better people picking the best from a 1.4 billion pool than a 7 million pool.  Their Mainland employers are better educated, more connected, have a better understanding of Mainland culture, etc.  Hong Kongers don't have bargaining power any more without protectionist measures from the HK government, and that's one of the fundamental reasons of the unhappiness.  Hong Kongers who leave for the West can easily be replaced by better Mainland workers, and there is a long list of people who want to come.

Well first of all, losing a few million people isn't a big deal to a country with 1.4 billion people.  Secondly, a lot of western educated Mainlanders with western citizenship choose to live and work on the Mainland, simply because the financial rewards are better.  People won't be drained so easily just because the west give them citizenship.  In fact I saw a lot of westerners living on the Mainland as well, so I am not sure who is draining who :contract:

We get your doctors, scientists, and other top people

You take our recent graduates who want a few years out and those who've decided to drop out of society to spend their life herding other peoples children and trying to get laid.
Fair deal.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on May 29, 2020, 12:59:31 PM
:yeah:

We should do the same for them in the USA. Let them pick an Anglo nation to high-tail it to.

God, I wish we would.  Of course, in a few years we might be the fleeing refugees.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Tyr on May 29, 2020, 04:15:42 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 29, 2020, 04:07:55 PM

We get your doctors, scientists, and other top people

You take our recent graduates who want a few years out and those who've decided to drop out of society to spend their life herding other peoples children and trying to get laid.
Fair deal.

Hey, I eventually came back.  :mad:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

grumbler

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 29, 2020, 05:56:45 PM

Hey, I eventually came back.  :mad:

Taking you back wasn't part of the deal.  We was robbed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

I don't understand the idea of brain drain.  That might work in the 90s but not now.  Hong Kongers had, in the Greater China context, unique skills like finance, trading etc back then.  But that's no longer true. 
So, Hkers no longer have brains?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on May 30, 2020, 12:53:59 AM
I don't understand the idea of brain drain.  That might work in the 90s but not now.  Hong Kongers had, in the Greater China context, unique skills like finance, trading etc back then.  But that's no longer true. 

Hong Kong's success is, to a large extent, attributable to crazy policies on the Mainland like the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution etc.  Those policies made the Mainlanders lose their brains.  So HKers were the only ones left with them.  Once the crazy policies were removed and the Mainlanders got their brains back, there was nothing really that special about HK brains. 

Zoupa

Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2020, 04:06:57 AM
Quote from: viper37 on May 30, 2020, 12:53:59 AM

Hong Kong's success is, to a large extent, attributable to crazy policies on the Mainland like the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution etc.  Those policies made the Mainlanders lose their brains.  So HKers were the only ones left with them.  Once the crazy policies were removed and the Mainlanders got their brains back, there was nothing really that special about HK brains.

Quoted for posterity. Enjoy the camps!

Monoriu

Zoupa

Tamas

Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2020, 09:01:10 AM
I am staying in Hong Kong  :)

Well you are actively cheering on the work of removing any distinction between the mainland and Hong Kong, so that's not really relevant.

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 29, 2020, 12:53:58 PM
Been discussed elsewhere but this is excellent news and the right thing to do - rare I get to say that about British politics :) :w00t:
QuoteUK widens visa rights offer to almost 3m Hong Kong residents
Home Office clarifies pledge and sets government on collision course with China

There are estimated to be about 2.9m people eligible to apply for a BNO passport living in Hong Kong © AP
Laura Hughes in London and Yuan Yang in Beijing 2 HOURS AGO

The UK has set itself on a collision course with China after broadening its offer on extended visa rights from 350,000 to almost 3m Hong Kong residents.

After Beijing announced plans this week to proceed with the imposition of a national security law on Hong Kong, UK foreign secretary Dominic Raab retaliated with an "unprecedented" pledge to expand visa rights for British National (Overseas) passport holders in Hong Kong from six to 12 months and "provide a pathway to future citizenship".

About 350,000 people hold valid BNO passports, a document issued to Hong Kong residents born before the handover of the territory from UK to Chinese sovereignty in 1997.

However, the Home Office clarified on Friday that the pledge to extend visa rights would apply to anyone eligible to apply for a BNO passport currently living in Hong Kong, of which there are estimated to be about 2.9m. Most of the additional 2.55m people have held a BNO passport in the past but not renewed it.

The move was made because "the new security law will undermine the existing legal commitments to protect the rights of Hong Kong people", the Home Office said. It is symbolic of the UK prime minister Boris Johnson's new willingness to adopt a tougher stance towards Beijing.

With increasing concerns that Beijing did not disclose the initial scale of the coronavirus outbreak, Mr Johnson is under pressure from his own backbench MPs to reset relations with Beijing.

The latest display of defiance against China comes after Mr Raab announced an end to "business as usual" and the government started drawing up plans to force a full phase-out of the Chinese telecoms equipment maker Huawei from Britain's 5G networks within three years.

China on Friday hit back at the UK's pledge to extend visa rights, arguing that the two countries had previously agreed a memorandum stating that the UK would not give Hong Kong BNO passport holders right of residency.

It has argued the agreement was reached alongside the 1984 Joint Declaration, which established the "one country, two systems" arrangement that guarantees Hong Kong a level of autonomy.

"All of our Hong Kong Chinese compatriots are Chinese citizens," said foreign ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian on Friday. He threatened that if the "UK unilaterally changes its approach" on the matter of British Nationals (Overseas), China would "resolutely oppose" and "reserve the right to use appropriate countermeasures".

Peter Goldsmith, a former attorney-general, advised ministers earlier this year that granting BNOs the right to live in the UK would not breach the Joint Declaration.

Rana Mitter, director of the University of Oxford China Centre, said the offer to BNOs signalled a response "to something the Chinese government has been saying over the last few years, which is that some aspects of the Joint Declaration don't really apply".

He said: "In some sense this potential move could be a statement that if China is not willing to accept that all aspects of the Joint Declaration are valid, then the UK feels that it too can look at aspects of it and decide where it wants to alter things. That may be part of the logic behind this particular move."

Prof Mitter added that the threat of offering visa extensions and a path to potential citizenship would be "particularity worrying" for the Chinese government if large numbers of wealth creators connected to the business community decided they wanted to take up the offer and become resident in London.

"That would be really problematic for the [Chinese] government", he said. "It would be an international sign of lack of confidence in Hong Kong and harm its status as an international business centre."

Cui Hongjian, head of European Studies at the China Institute of International Studies, a foreign ministry think-tank, said the BNO pledge would have a "negative" effect on the mutual trust between China and the UK but that it was more of a "political and diplomatic gesture".

China was prepared for "this negative reaction and will not retreat", added Cheng Xiaohe, deputy director of Renmin university's Center for China's International Strategic Studies. "But I think China will not treat the countries the same way. China will focus on its main target, the 'Big Brother' — the US."

Hopefully we also clarify the rights of family members of BNO citizens. But I am very happy with this escape route for many Hong Kongers and can't wait to welcome any move over :)

It is also a fairly extraordinary moment that we're proposing (if China proceeds) to just extend residence rights to 3 million people, with total cross-party support and almost no opposition. Obviously it is also morally and legally the right thing to do as China tramples all over the Joint Declaration.

Good job UK.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".