Russian ships and jets shadow UK ship in Black Sea

Started by Sheilbh, June 23, 2021, 04:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 25, 2021, 01:48:44 AM
So it seems the British story has changed a bit saying that Russian "artillery was fired in a safe distance" from the British ship ergo it was not a warning shot. "I don't consider it a warning shot because there was no risk of it hitting me" is quite different from "there was no warning shot" IMHO.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/24/british-warships-might-enter-crimean-waters-again-says-minister
I don't really agree. A single shot on the horizon is not really a warning shot - and the Russian line was that they'd fired warning shots and dropped bombs in the path of the ship to force it out of Crimean waters. All of which was false.

But, which I wasn't aware, the UK ship seems to have been part of something coordinated because I think a US ship did it the week before (to no reaction from Russia) and a Dutch ship was in the same area today and was also buzzed by low flying jets and carrying out fake attacks on the vessel. And of course Russia buzz ships in the Baltic too and also fairly routinely send their ships and planes into the (internationally acknowledged) space of NATO members.

But it feels like the emphasis should actually be on a coordinated NATO effort on this apparently.
Let's bomb Russia!