News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most expensive military project failures

Started by Brazen, April 20, 2020, 09:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Airbus A400M as a non US project that went way over budget with poor outcome.

A nice anecdote for a failed military project may be the renovation of the German tall ship Gorch Fock. Takes years and is hugely over budget.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 21, 2020, 08:33:11 PM
The ACU uniform, whose camouflage only worked if you were trying to hide in a gravel pit.  Whatever procurement officer signed off on that must have gotten a nice consulting job with the manufacturer afterwards.

And we USAF folks followed you guys right into that gravel pit...but at least we had chosen sexy tiger stripes.  :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

I'm fairly sure that Ed Anger would have found a way to get Montgomery into this thread  :(

The Brain

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 22, 2020, 08:49:49 AM
I'm fairly sure that Ed Anger would have found a way to get Montgomery into this thread  :(

But not into Caen. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on April 22, 2020, 10:42:26 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 22, 2020, 08:49:49 AM

But not into Caen. :(

Nor Arnhem. :(

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2020, 01:02:13 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2020, 12:37:23 PM
Is the F35 a true failure, or just much more costly and functional than most countries want/can afford right now?

Honest question.

It's still under development (even as it is under production, which is by itself kind of insane) so maybe they'll be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat, but it seems like it's going to be a failure. 

How is that insane? I can't think of a single combat aircraft since WW2 that was not under development while it was under production. For that matter, most weapon systems work that way - I am inclined to even say all of them, but I imagine there are some exceptions that would make "all" technically incorrect.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Brazen

Thanks, everyone! Writing this up this week, I've got a few choice expert comments too. Navy programmes seem especially prone. I'll posta link for you to criticise everything I got wrong when it's published next month :hug: